Question Affiliate Sites in Languages Other than English
    Brian,

In another thread, there was the following statistics published yesterday:

"The number of internet users in China is increasing by around 800,000 a week. China already boasts the world's largest number of internet users. More than 1 million people are estimated to be taking up high-speed broadband internet access every month." - UK Times Online article, July 18, 2005.

The Internet Top Ten Languages Usage Stats (updated in the end of March of 2005) lists the following languages in the top 5:

Language || Users || Penetration || % of Total

ENGLISH || 291,821,168 || 26.3 % || 32.8 %

CHINESE || 113,414,713 || 8.6 % || 12.8 %

JAPANESE || 67,677,947 || 52.8 % || 7.6 %

SPANISH || 56,844,480 || 14.6 % || 6.4 %

GERMAN || 54,244,805 || 55.4 % || 6.1 %

Now, my question is as follows: bullet-point 3 in SaS' list of criteria by which an affiliate is accepted to any affiliate program run with SaS says:

• Website Language (We only accept sites in English)

Why?

I have a feeling we (merchants) are loosing something here...

For instance, you do have an option of direct deposit payments to any country of the EU. Yet, according to the "website language" rule none of the sites in EU languages will be accepted to the program.

Also: I know, there are a lot of real bright web-designers (with excellent programming skills) in Asia (Chinese is #2 on the list of the "top 10 Internet languages", Japanese - #3, Korean - #7). Yet, we push ourselves away from them...

If the main reason for this rule/criteria is that you cannot tell what the content of the site is without knowing the language, maybe you should couple with a translation agency that would be able to screen applicants' sites for you. I can discuss this with you if you're interested.

I believe, broadening the audience by language will broaden both merchants', affiliates' and SaS' revenue-generating opportunities.

Let me know what you think.

Geno

yes he does have a point Brian ?
    so why do we only accept sites that are in english.
    what is the reason for this.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Outsourced Program Manager
    I will agree that Chinese is the fastest growing language in the world, already number 2.

BUT for Brian to accept sites written in chinese he would be opening all of us to scammers and frauds.

When Chinese affiliates statred to sign up when I ran a program with kowabunga last year, I was overloaded with frauds, bad cc and sales. PLUS I still to this day get spam in chinese. I had to ask Jeff to set up a filter that would NOT allowing anyone with an chinese address to sign up for my program.

They were signing up with other websites, ( ie not there's) and then if they were accepted changing the contact address to theirs to try and get commissions for fraudulent sales.

Do you really want this? Do you think western, ( english speaking) affiliates would join Chinese sites? Knowing the amount of scams run from this part of the world. I for one would not trust to be paid.

Not only that but Brian would need to hire at least 2-3 staff fluent in Chinese to handle the work load.

Maybe what the world needs is a network to deal with Chinese sites but for the life of me I don't see how SAS would profit by it. At least not for years

I for one don't think the western world is ready for Chinese sites to enter the main stream.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

You can't just look at percent of users who speak certain languages, either. You have to look at commerce. Who is buying? The two of you should know the answer to that. You're in Russia and Cyprus, but where are your customers?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

You're in Russia and Cyprus, but where are your customers?
    this is very true. however,
    i would`nt mind a couple of million chinese
    customers also. if i could tap into that market i would be very happy.

thats if they have a market ??
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You have to look at commerce. Who is buying? The two of you should know the answer to that. You're in Russia and Cyprus, but where are your customers?
    You might be surprised, Michael, but my highest-earning affiliate is in Moscow, Russia, marketing my products via his website on Russian cuisine. AND his customers (or the ones that come through him) are from around the globe (Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, US, UK, Singapore, etc)!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    When Chinese affiliates statred to sign up when I ran a program with kowabunga last year, I was overloaded with frauds, bad cc and sales. PLUS I still to this day get spam in chinese...
    Now, this is something to ponder on...

Yet, what about Japanese, German and French, Richard? Are you again them as well?

Geno

You could always clone SaS on a freelance board in another language if they don't decide to expand markets and then your in.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Yet, what about Japanese, German and French, Richard? Are you again them as well?
    I don't think any of us here are against people of any nationality. It's just not worth the hassle to do business in some countries due to the fraud from a small minority of the people there. Take Nigeria, for example. I wonder if any merchant here has ever seen a legitimate order from Nigeria. Yet we all get scam emails from there every day. That's probably the most extreme example, but it illustrates the point well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

TVM = Time Value of Money

The time to sort through all the malarkey and scams isn't worth the possibility of finding real money in those markets [At this juncture]

Yet, what about Japanese, German and French...
    Those are established and mature countries with real ecommerce.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't think any of us here are against people of any nationality. It's just not worth the hassle to do business in some countries due to the fraud from a small minority of the people there. Take Nigeria, for example. I wonder if any merchant here has ever seen a legitimate order from Nigeria. Yet we all get scam emails from there every day. That's probably the most extreme example, but it illustrates the point well.
    Michael, frankly, I see no connection between Nigeria and Japanese, German and French languages. As a professional linguist, I can assure you, Michael, that three quarters of the languages spoken in Nigeria belong to Niger-Congo language family (namely: Sorko, Busa, Fulfulde, Wolof and others)... I am not saying, anyone here is "against people of any nationality"

You don't have to tell me about Nigeria. I am a merchant. I am the one ending up with chargebacks and legitimacy verification when affiliates send me customers from Nigeria, Morocco, Kenya and other countries of the "black continent"...

What I am asking is: why can we not approve sites in Japanese, German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), French (half a Canada + France, Southern Belgium, Switzerland again), Italian, Dutch (the Netherlands, Northern Belgium)... You know what my question is. Obviously, there are security matters (as with Chinese), in connection with which some of the "top ten Internet languages" have to be dismissed. But what about those spoken in "decent" (if you want) countries?!

Geno

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Those are established and mature countries with real ecommerce.
    Thank you, Haiko.

Geno

Lightbulb Some Statistics to Think About
    The interesting thing about Japanese, German, Korean, Italian and Dutch is the "average penetration". Average Penetration is the ratio between the sum of Internet users speaking a language and the total population estimate that speaks that referred language." With these 5 languages it is:

Japanese - 52.8%
    German - 55.4%
    Korean - 42%
    Italian - 48.8%
    Dutch - 60.5%

For English the "average penetration" is only 26.3%. Yet, they (English-speakers) compose 32.8% of the total number of Internet users.

The cumulative percentage of Internet users speaking the 5 aforementioned languages is 26.3%. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that by adding these languages (or even with the Italian or Korean) to the list of acceptable, you embrace more than half of the Internet's audience.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager
    True,
    But how many are buying? In Korea the penetration is high but not many people buy on line.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Wink
    I don't know about all Asian countries but I do know I had a friend that worked at a Chinese take-out restaraunt and they were always ordering products from Chinese companies online.

I think the only thing that would hinder us from moving into those markets is that not all of us small businesses can afford to outsource the foreign language work of the business. Meaning: If you got your website translated to Japanese, what happens when you get a customer service question in Japanese? I don't have the patience to study a half dozen languages to make my site successful in the non-English world, but once I've obtained my goals and hopefully make this a full-time job, I can see hiring people down the road.

William

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    But how many are buying? In Korea the penetration is high but not many people buy on line.
    I can speak for the stuff I sell (Russian gifts and collectibles). Koreans buy about twice a week. Germans, French and Danish-speakers purchase as well... Not very many. But why would they if they don't speak the language(s) of the websites that sell my stuff (including my own)?

Geno

Brian, I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I saw you reading this. Would love to learn what you think.

Thanks,

Geno

i have had an email from a japanese site that wants
    to sell my products on its site ??
    dont know what to do??
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Just got an order in from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Portuguese would be the language). The Brazilian credit card used passed the US AVS-check just fine… Another reason to work with Portuguese-speakers.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    i can tell you numerous greeks... -a certain perfurme company which recently moved from cj to linkshare- has more than 60 orders/week from greek speaking "audience"...although most greeks speak/write english and a vast majority of them speaks a second and a third language...

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Geno,

We've had this debate a lot over the years. It is quite simple though, we don't have the people here to be able to approve/monitor/read affiliate websites that are not in English. 99% of our merchants request that their affiliates sites are in English as well. We have made exceptions for merchants who have valued partners in other languages... I am not anti-nonEnglish website, it is just a matter of being able to support them.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Brian,

Glad to see you take part in this discussion!

No one said you are "anti-nonEnglish website". We all know you're a good guy.

So are you saying that if I have valued partners, having sites in Japanese, Italian, Dutch, French, German, etc, you WILL make exceptions. I know we've discussed this with you about serveral of my Russian partners. Can I discuss such pattern of partnership (via affiliate relationships) with websites in other languages?

On a different note, it's been over a week since I've submitted my new feed to Michael. Asked him two get back with me twice. No reply. Brian, could you please get him to let me know if that feed is up or not? Many thanks in advance...

Thanks,

Geno

Just got an order in... from Denmark!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Geno,

The exceptions are generally few and far between, but yes - we do make them.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks, Brian. And thanks for getting Michael to update the feed...

Geno

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread