ABW Ambassador
    Contests and Giveaways?
    Anybody do giveaways?

I'm going to do a how-to for my site. Buy a product, build needed accessory for product, take pics for each step of the process. On the page is a link to the product (and other products in the product family) and related products used in construction.

According to Overture's keyword tool, there's 15,000 monthly searches for this how-to, so it should pay off.

I thought I could write-off the expense of building the accessory, but the IRS might look down upon that, since the device is still in my possession.

Besides, my wife doesn't like clutter, and that's exactly what she'll think of this thing.

So I figured I should give it away to my site's visitors, even offer free shipping anywhere in the contiguous 48 states.

How do you handle contests? What type of criteria do you usually use in selecting a winner? Heck, what kind of contests have other ABWers peformed?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    A sweepstakes is usually the easiest type of contest to pull off because they require the least amount of micromanagement. Our experience is that cash prizes generate the most excitement/hype - even if in the form of a merchandise credit.

Use a 'trusted third party' to select your winners from a draw, that way any liability is off you in the event you are accused of 'rigging the winners' or that type of thing.

If you have a lawyer or an accountant that you normally do business with, you can often use them as your 'trusted third party.'

lurk
    I'll be your trusted thirds party... . Right after I sign up.. heh
    Jason

I've asked people to write some short but nice stories about the topic of the site: if you have a site on fishing I'd ask them about a personal fishing story. I then reward as many as I can and use their content on my site (consented, of course).

As for prizes, I have an affiliate agreement with a couple of my merchants that they will bump up my commission substantially if I hit a certain sales target. If towards the end of the month I'm close but say a couple of hundreds short I but i.e. gift certificates in small denomination to get me across the barrier. The resulting increase in commission is worth a lot more (otherwise it wouldn't make sense, would it?). Since I gotta do something with the vouchers I do the writing competition or other similar stuff.

Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

We do giveaways and sweepstakes all the time. Which reminds me, I need to set up a Phillies ticket giveaway ...

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    oh la la - I'm in Philly periodically to visit family... how do we win? :P

Liz:

Once our form is live, I'll post a link. The tickets are for the Sept. 7 game against the Astros. We'll also be giving away Eagles tickets in the Fall.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread