Screen resolution, what do you design for?
    I've always aimed for a visitor with a screen resolutiuon of 800 wide, but today I was building a page with graphics and it would really work well if I made the page display best at 1024 wide - at 800, there would be sideways scrolling.

Is it the time to make the leap towards assuming that surfers now have larger monitors and better resolution?

I did some looking around at stats and it seems that up to about May/June 2005 which is as recent as it gets, 0% (or an insignificant number) use 640, about 25% are using 800 and the rest are using greater than this, so my page would view fine on 75% of screens. Now I probably won't do this as I still want that other 25%, but would be interested in other opinions - does anyone currently build pages for 1024 wide monitors for instance, and how do they fare?

Unfortunately we are still stuck with the lowest common denominator of 800x600. Sidescrolling will alienate those visitors, 25% is too big a chunk IMO.

Exceptions would be some tech related topics where that % could be much lower.

Ditto

I'm still developing sites at 800 a 600. I always get a bad impression of a site when it is designed way too wide and I have to scroll right. I run my PC at 1024 and still run into sites that are designed for higher resolutions.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Up until this past year I was still designing for 640x480 but making the pages elastic... Now I'm past that & lean towards a fixed 800x600 & in many cases 730px wide to to feature a leaderboard as part of the design... I still try to keep sites w/ forums elastic because if someone posts a large image, I don't want the tables to break... Keep in mind there are people who still use 15" monitors & it's hard to use anything above 800x600 on those
    Hi, I'm a signature.

We've designed our site for 1024 by 768 pixels resolution.

800 x 600 is good enough imo. I don't plan to change my design to a larger resolution anytime soon. If I needed to make a page larger I would make a link like I've seen some other designers do to an alternate resolution. It would probably be easy enough to do automatically (without the users knowledge) using any smart scripting language.

lurk
    When I design my sites I work on a canvas that is no more than 770 pixels (that will fit perfectly in a full-screen 800x600 computer). Generally I keep it at 750 though.
    Jason

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I design for 800 wide, but I've seen sites that have a link to click to adjust the site for whatever resolution you prefer. I thought about doing that, but then most people don't know and don't care what the resolution is. They just know the page looks good or doesn't and if it doesn't they assume the site is messed up (before I learned web design, I thought that way). My browser is usually set for 1024 by 768, but I often change it to fit whatever site I'm viewing at the time.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    There's no "correct answer... but

I read that most people don't know how to change the default resolution when they buy a pc

I also read/was told that most of another affiliates visitors come thru laptops (1024)

So I went to Google, Yahoo, and my best merchants - to see what THEY resolved to... and picked that as my standard!! If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me

Yet made the pages flexible so they fit on all resolutions

lurk
    One thing I really dislike are sites that expand to 100%... I will most likely never design a website to do that. Although, there are a couple exceptions that I felt the content matched well with 100% (not to say it couldnt have just as good or better at a set width).

It's a very bad idea to design content sites at 100%... makes for hard reading.
    Jason

My sites are designed at 100%.

I utilize javascript to display additional content/ads/links/whatever based on screen resolution if the user is at 1024 or greater to eliminate the "hard reading/bad design"...

This allows me to serve the 30% who are at 800 pixels without scrolling, and add in additional "features" to those at greater screen resolutions.

A user with javascript disabled would revert to the 800 pixel version of the page.

Here's some basic Javascript code:

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    if ((screen.width>=1280) && (screen.height>=768))
    {
    rnum=Math.round(Math.random() * 100000);
    document.write('Hi there 1280 pixels.');
    }
    else if ((screen.width>=1024) && (screen.height>=768))
    {
    rnum=Math.round(Math.random() * 100000);
    document.write('Hi there 1024 pixels.');
    }
    else
    {
    }
    //-->
    </script>

Cheers,

Dave

Here are a few stats: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp & http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm
    Seems about 27-28% still use 800x600. So I try to design the sites where users won't have to use a side-bar to scroll if they'r using 800x600.

As for the fluid design, there are pros and cons to it. Here is a nice article on this: http://9rules.com/whitespace/design/...id_layouts.php

cheers!
    -nishith
    Last edited by nish; July 29th, 2005 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo

I usually design mine to run 90-95%, as I don't normally care for sites that fill up the entire screen, they usually look too busy. I have my computer set to 800 width, so I can see what most people will see. Side scrolling is a big no-no, I hate that. I usually leave sites that force me to scroll sideways. Having ads on the far right is OK, I can scroll over to view them if I'm interested, but trying to read text and scrolling sideways is annoying.

I also check at higher definitions, and it usually looks OK. Perhaps a bit sparse sometimes, but I'd prefer it to be cleaner than crammed full.

Andy

Internet Cowboy
    I run 95% for the most part.
    Sometimes you just have to make a page wider than 800 for it to work. When I do that, I put a link on the page stating it is set up for 1024 x 768 with a link to show the user how to adjust monitor resolution.
    Just as we have gone from designing sites for a 14.4 or 28.8 modem user to designing sites for broadband, we are working our way out of 800 X 600.
    I will be glad when 800 wide is long gone because it is just too limiting design-wise.

Most of the websites we design for our clients are targeted to 1024 X 768.

Though many people here at work can run 1024 x 768 res they prefer to run at 800 x 600. Eaiser to see for people with bad eyesight I guess. I still design for 800x 600. I run dual monitors and keep one set to each of these resolutions.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread