Is there an MA for the likes of me?
    Ok, since this is my virtual family, let me ask you a very sensitive question.

Is there hope for the "addictions to marketing calls" from the "gurus", a word I have come to detest almost as much as "secret"

Man, I hate all these "secrets revealed" "gurus tell all", but you know what? Those calls have become a darn addiction.

I hate the 'secret" anything that is running so rampant on the marketing scene. From videos, to salesletters, to telecalls. And yet, I cant seem to free myself from them.

I mean these guys are marketing geniuses, just look how many people they get to sites and calls. But it is all the same stuff, over and over and over again.

But, Still, I go!!!!

Am I the only nutcase here? Anyone else addicted?

Ruth,
    Tired, very tired, but cant get away from it
    Is there such a group as "marketers anonymous" or MA??

I just want to work, I love work.

"marketers anonymous"... I love it! They sure know how to get you. That's their business, and we need to try to learn from them... I'm not addicted, no. But I've got an unfinished degree in counselling psychology. Call me - we can talk about it, Ruth...

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    "marketers anonymous"... I love it! They sure know how to get you. That's their business, and we need to try to learn from them... I'm not addicted, no. But I've got an unfinished degree in counselling psychology. Call me - we can talk about it, Ruth...

Geno
    Geno, ... Thank you, dont be surprised if I yell help in the future.

Good thing for this list. It shows me there is life beyond "secrets and gurus".
    And, that life is better!

Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Just say no.
    There's a thought. Ok, I will try it!

ABW Ambassador
    Really anything you need to know or have a question about, you can just do an ABW search or just ask. All those "secrets" are out there for free

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Really anything you need to know or have a question about, you can just do an ABW search or just ask. All those "secrets" are out there for free
    Thanks, and I am learning this be reading this forum. That's what finally made me really think.

I am starting a new blog, how to do overt marketing .... it's just a spoof, but really, this thing does have me hooked, but I am getting wiser,

Ruth,

The blog sounds like a great idea!

I've been fortunate enough to have found this board early on. I almost got sucked in but I hate spending money on anything that isn't an absolute necessesity so I resisted and also realized that when ever I needed to know anything, if I dug deep enough I could always find the answer on the web--for free!

With that being said I'm sure your blog will attract ALOT of visitors going by the number of people who have posted on this board about their wasted dollars on all those marketing guru secrets!

Blogs can be great thereapy...you won't need Geno's assistance after all!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

My Solution
    Ruth,

I feel your pain. I kept getting sucked into the "next big secret" too. I also spent a LOT of money for these "secrets" only to be disappointed since they were all basically the same.

That's when I had my epiphany. There was no "special secret." Build your sites, build at least a page a day, on good days you get 3, 4, 5 or more pages. Write good articles related to what you're selling. Distribute these articles.

Rinse & repeat.

Your income doesn't grow quickly, but it grows...and grows and grows. If I had been doing this instead of chasing the "next big secret" I would now be jobless - in the best way.

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf
    Ruth,

I feel your pain. I kept getting sucked into the "next big secret" too. I also spent a LOT of money for these "secrets" only to be disappointed since they were all basically the same.

That's when I had my epiphany. There was no "special secret." Build your sites, build at least a page a day, on good days you get 3, 4, 5 or more pages. Write good articles related to what you're selling. Distribute these articles.

Rinse & repeat.

Your income doesn't grow quickly, but it grows...and grows and grows. If I had been doing this instead of chasing the "next big secret" I would now be jobless - in the best way.

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    I had a feeling this was the right answer. That is what I am going to do. Thanks for the confirmation.

I have actually bypassed 2 secret calls . Yes, it sounds silly, but I really am hooked on these. And now when I really pay attention, and I really read the content, I can see how "manipulative" it all is. And I mean that in a marketing way! which is what good marketing is about. Not delivering good quality content and product, but moving content and product.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Taking a chance and figuring you mean telephone calls here (as opposed to "calls-to-action"...

Those calls have become a darn addiction.
    Right after acknowledging you have a problem, avoiding temptation is a big part of the arsenal of resisting the pull.

Calls are a big problem? So, put voice mail on, 24/7, and screen all your calls. Seriously!
    Most telemarketers won't leave a message. They hang up, and try again later, hoping for live person to answer. That'll knock the temptation level down 100 notches right there. You can't buy when the only thing you heard is a *click,* just because there's no number to call to complete the transaction! And, if you leave your voice mail on 24/7, all you'll EVER hear from most of them is *click.* Your family and friends will adjust to leaving a message. If they can't understand your desire to be free of that addiction, they weren't real friends anyway, were they??!

From videos, to salesletters, to telecalls.
    You need to get that other stuff out of your life, too. Don't watch the videos or read the letters. Destroy them right away while your willpower is up (then when your curiosity gets you--too late, you've burnt the letter and ripped out the tape already...can't read/watch it then...) Easier said than done? Try getting someone you trust to "clean" your mail before you ever see it, if you can stand that.

Is there such a group as "marketers anonymous" or MA??
    There's Shoppers Anonymous, as I recall. That's probably as close as it gets.
    Personally I'm immunized against that addiction. I saw lots of those books come in here as a kid, saw how they were all junk and just ate money, and made up my mind to avoid them all at a very young age. Finally I was able to pry their meat hooks off of my mother's wallet, too...I just shudder to think of how many hundred (or should that be thousand??) was blown on that crap, and all for nothing.

"gurus", a word I have come to detest
    Ever notice how the ONLY time the word "guru" seems to come up is in scam marketing? In regular usage, someone who knows a lot about a subject is an "expert" rather than a "guru." Scammers have indeed tainted the g-word.

I just want to work, I love work.
    Eeww yuck *calls men in white coats*

But, better to do w*rk, than blow your money on guru courses. So, next time you get the urge to open your wallet, try doing something productive instead...

I've got an unfinished degree in counselling psychology.~Geno
    LOL...Me too, although we called it "clinical" psychology. Basically a psychiatric course of study minus the MD part.

Wasn't as good for practical use as w*rking in the store, though, and actually interacting with a few hundred people a day and seeing all the weirdnesses of humanity live and in-person...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

First, my 2 degrees are in engineering,but with dozens of retail related seminars and conventions in several parts of the country, you start to learn what most people want.I am in the same boat as you,in order to earn a bit of extra income.I had several members on the forum,one told me content,content,content,and build good sites,with bookmarks on most pages.Another checked my sites,gave constuctrutive comments, and changes, which i followed,and now with only 4 sites, I am not reinventing the wheel, but using it to improve sales and traffic.The key, for me, was getting shoppers to return.My gratitude to those unselfish forum members is boundless.
    Jersey Jim
    PS Since I lost my place as a full member, I can't receive PM's as I did in the past.
    Last edited by jerseyjim; August 15th, 2005 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Mis spelling

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Talking
    There was no "special secret."

Certainly not in the way al these hype masters would like you to believe that is for sure , nope the special secret is a simple one, hard work, pure and simple.

Ever notice how the ONLY time the word "guru" seems to come up is in scam marketing? In regular usage, someone who knows a lot about a subject is an "expert" rather than a "guru." Scammers have indeed tainted the g-word.
    Yep, being called a guru now a days tends to be much the same as being called a "con artist"

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread