ABW Ambassador
    Guitars, Drums, Vocalists and Music.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dirk Gardner
    I need a bassist, drummer and female vocalist if anyone is interested.

Drummer/vocalist here, not a female though. I have a guitar player and a harmonica player/singer. We can't seem to find a bass player who isn't completely strung out. [img]images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Edited to say we are only a few thousand miles apart, Florida here. If you have a private jet I am in!

Hi UncleScooter,

What a great pleasure to meet musicians on here. I wish I could say fellow musicians but I have a lot of polishing to do before I earn the right to say that. I taught myself how to play the acoustic guitar at the age of about 16 on an island resort in Fiji and after about 6 months added vocalist/rhythm guitarist to my job description as Gamefishing and Charterboat Captain, Windsurf Instructor, Waterski Instructor and general island resort layabout.

It was nothing too refined but I loved it even though our then quite large repertoire was heavily sprinkled with requests from the newly wed and the nearly dead (Our endearing terminology for the bulk of our house guests).

I played in the band for a few years before sticking my left ring finger under 3 tons of aluminium on a forklift, losing half a cm off the tip and the remaining stub being so wide that it muted out strings in numerous chord arrangements like an Eb on the 3rd fret, any kind of barred minor 7th, and all sorts of finger picking arrangements. The side of my finger is now the tip and that adds all sorts of problems. I kind of stopped playing for years until a few weeks ago.

I had a highly skilled Luthier (Guitar maker) in my household and one night we sat down and started to play. We both rediscovered our love of the guitar and played solidly until she left yesterday to go live in Canada and run guitar making courses in a tiny settlement outside moosejaw.

To begin with we learnt simple stuff like Natalie Imbruglia's "torn" which is delightful to play, a couple of tunes from the unmatchable Tracy Chapman as well as Ben Harper and Jack Johnson. After a while we upped the anti and started moving towards Jazz progressions like Billy Joel's "New York State Of Mind". Such wonderful chords! I also love to play blues, Robert Cray, Dire Straits and Eric Clapton to name a few.

I currently have 3 acoustic guitars, namely a 13yr old Washburn Dreadnought, 25yr old Matsuoka classical and the third is the most beautiful instrument I have ever seen handmade by the Luthier who left yesterday. It has the sweetest, loudest, most innocent tone I have ever heard from an acoustic guitar.

Last night I wondered into town and a band in a bar invited me up to play placing an electric guitar in my hands for the first time. What a buzz! I pumped out a bit of Robert Cray, Dire Straits and Clapton and afterwards managed to talk the lead guitarist into coming round to my house this coming monday for a jam and to teach me some tricks. Tomorrow morning I am heading back into town to go electric guitar shopping. I've no idea what I am looking for but I will know it when I see it.

Sorry for waffling on but it is 4.15am, I am comfortably inebriated and still buzzing from playing in the city!

Good luck finding a bass guitarist who isn't strung out

Dirk
    Last edited by Dirk Gardner; July 29th, 2005 at 12:46 PM.

There must be something in the air. My husband is a musician (not professionally er anything) and has been at it again.

He hadn't played in awhile. He has a couple of acoustics, a few electric, a bass guitar, keyboards, electric violin, congas...and a recording studio set-up.
    Oh yes and a toy piano for the kids.

Once in awhile we all play together and he'll record and edit and add tracks. I can't play but was inspired a couple a weeks ago and we "jammed" together. Made my fingers bleed(almost)...man that was fun...but I'm not hardcore enough to do that again.

I envy you folks that can just play. I'd love to be able to cut loose like that!

Too bad your half way around the world, my hubby would love to find some playmates. We had a few in New Mexico but since we've relocated friends have been far and none
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Suzigeek,

Man I envy your husband for his array of guitars, various instruments and sound studio! Wow! I need to get into that and choose a prog to lay tracks! I guess I'll just start with getting the electric guitar today.

I hear what you are saying about your fingers bleeding. My fingers have been numb since I started up again and are only just starting to settle. After day 1 of solid playing they started to ache and I just had to play through the pain. Then the blood blisters came and everything went numb, finally the calluses arrive and take away the pain and the tips are still red from the blisters. But its all worth it! hehe Oh yeah!

Sorry to disgust you

>>>I hear what you are saying about your fingers bleeding. My fingers have been numb since I started up again and are only just starting to settle. After day 1 of solid playing they started to ache and I just had to play through the pain. Then the blood blisters came and everything went numb, finally the calluses arrive and take away the pain and the tips are still red from the blisters. But its all worth it! hehe Oh yeah!<<<

my first was a concert acoustic Kay or Kamico guitar. Had been kicking around the house for years before. the grooves in my fingers lasted for years. early in college I happened to try a new Gretsch in a music store. wish I could have afforded it; it played itself!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread