Newspapers
    I have been doing a lot of research for advertising in newspapers. Cost is definately affordable, so now I am left wondering.....does it really pay off.

Has anyone here, advertised in newspapers and if so, did it help boost traffic?

ABW Ambassador
    That's something i'm actually going to try during the last quarter. Not an ad in the newspaper but a flyer. I have a few boxes of them, might need to get more. Still need to find out how much it will cost.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sneak in newspaper articles that mention your URL. It's cheaper and often more effective.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Talking
    Once I spent $250 on a tiny 10 word ad in USA today, Only got about 50 additional visitors that day & the day after, no sales. Have also tried the local penny-saver type papers (obviously much cheaper) with poor to fair results.
    I've heard the key to success w/ 'traditional' advertising is repetition- keep pounding it into peoples skulls, and eventually they will respond.

ABW Ambassador
    I've heard the key to success w/ 'traditional' advertising is repetition- keep pounding it into peoples skulls, and eventually they will respond.
    Isn't that the point of a lot of banner advertising? Even with banner blindness, that with a brandable name it pounds branding into people's minds? Maybe cheapo banner adverts on websites aren't such a bad idea, with the site name visibly displayed.

And maybe tiny little cheap ads in the right sections in those local weekly local papers (like the Recycler) that people buy for ads - like for finding used cars and yard sales. For some things those might bring a few people at very little cost and can get the name out there a bit. If I remember right, some people were using those for mail order businesses years back.

I, for one, fully support heavy spending on newspaper advertising.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Here is one site for purchasing offline classifieds:

www.nationwideclassifieds.com

Any other source suggestions from you guys?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Press Release to your local newspapers. Announce that you exist. They might mention your site in an article.
    Last edited by darkstar7; August 1st, 2005 at 02:35 PM.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Here is one site for purchasing offline classifieds:

www.nationwideclassifieds.com

Any other source suggestions from you guys?
    EC: SUuuuuuuuure.

CHeck out these three newspapers

Probably not worth it if you are working on 10% commission. Also to measure response you need a special url say "www.mysite.com/local" otherwise you have no way of tracking.

Don't advertise if you have a difficult site address, or unusual spelling. Get something easy to remember.

Assuming a cost of $250 for an ad. You need $2,500 of sales to break even. Assuming an average order of $50 requires 50 positive responses. I am not sure of the eyeball to internet ratio but a non focussed ad is probably around a 1,000 to 1 plus.

If you are selling your own product it may be worthwhile as your margins will be much higher.

We tried this last year and spent money on a series of ads over a 4 month period, nothing really happened. I spoke to one of the advertising salesmen who was complaining that most of her internet clients were not renewing their ads as they were also getting poor responses.

ABW Ambassador
    How about a nice colorful flyer around Thanksgiving saying something like, Don't fight the crowds this year, shop online at mysite.com. Daily deals and coupons to all your favorite merchants. Something like that is what i'm thinking.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    How about a nice colorful flyer around Thanksgiving saying something like, Don't fight the crowds this year, shop online at mysite.com. Daily deals and coupons to all your favorite merchants. Something like that is what i'm thinking.
    Trusty: You just hit on part of our offline plan. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Tried it didn't work out first time - UK cost is exhorbitant - i'm an affiliate not a shop so get an even smaller chunk - might work for high % items such as mobile phones / loans etc . to improve odds i have set up digital information line that way can create a short ad with call this number for more info . instead of writing an essay ie: simple lineage ad .

www.cashbacktoyou.co.uk

We tried a classified (free promotion from the newspaper) and ran it for 4 days. I noticed about 20 new hits a day over the next week. Considering it was free and most of these viewers came back more than once we were pretty happy with it. And you can't beat free!
    [LEFT][URL=http://www.dcgolfreview.com]www.DCGolfReview.com[/URL]
    - Professional golf course reviews in the Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC area
    - Reliable equipment evaluations
    [/LEFT]

Red face
    I advertised one of my domains (a dot com) in the thrifty nickel a few months back and had no success. uke:

The domain name is a very brandable name and a dictionary word that gets direct type-in's, yet generated no leads or additional traffic. That doesn't mean it won't work, maybe I should of wordsmithed the ad better or ran it longer.

I don't have the budget for a T.V. or radio commercial, but if you got enough for an ad in a magazine that is in your market, you are golden in my opinion. I experienced success with that same dot com that failed in the thrifty nickle. About 15,000 uniques the month the mag came out - not to mention the number of hits.

William

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Has anyone advertised with online radio stations?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread