Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missing the Good Ol' Html Days...
    I miss the good old html days when life was simple...coding easily understood and you didn't have to understand a zillion different things to put up a competitive and pleasing site. Of course I was around when you had to hit refresh in chatrooms... but still.. everything has become so complicated!! Can anyone suggest a program that helps you set up a database and code pages that is secure? I can't spend $700 to get it... about half of that is in my budget. I'm tired of trying to learn this stuff!!

I don't know but everything just seems harder. Maybe I'm getting old???? (NO!).. but I don't own an Ipod, when my cell-phone rings I panic, and I can't figure out mysql... should I just go off to an old folks farm now?
    (wondering how my signature thingy got so big)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Leeann, I'm already hanging out at that old folks farm (literally, with the cattle, chickens, dogs, and a host of other critters!)

My son's best friend went to college to learn computer programing. I called him last week and offered him a partnership if he'll do the programing to get a great site running for me. I outlined an idea I have and he got excited on the phone, said he'd think about how to put it together for a couple of days and probably be ready to get started. I haven't heard from him all week so I guess the excitement wore off.

He was talking about some kind of program called colbalt and some other things that are totally techy sounding. I had no idea what he was saying!

Makes me wish I could do all that stuff, but my brain is already overloaded trying to figure out php & MySQL.
    Last edited by Lectrickitty; July 29th, 2005 at 11:13 PM. Reason: correct spelling errors
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

>>"I haven't heard from him all week so I guess the excitement wore off"<<

That sounds so familar! I live near a college and I've had a few students tell me they'll come set something up somehow noone has ever called back. or maybe I just couldn't answer the cell phone fast enough and missed the call..sigh..

I dream of a program that will --

- Give you simple input boxes for setting up a database
    - Give you a selection of directional options that will write the php code -- like -- "stop showing links on a particular date"
    - Have a cloaking-type or redirect type option (whichever is more SEO accepted)
    - Other perks like optional banner / link rotation

And will install all by itself

Call it something like - Slow Learners Program or sumthin'
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Cobalt, oh my! I haven't heard anybody talk about that language since my History of Programming Languages class back in college. I didn't know people still used it. It's all about PHP, ASP, JSP, etc. when it comes to web development. Personally, the technology, PHP, mySQL, and programming aspect of this business is what excites me the most. It's exciting riding on the cusp of innovation taking advantage of each new tool as it arrives.

I hear your pleas for affordable software, but for what you want it just may cost a pretty penny. There are free services such as GoldenCan that can give you something close to what you want, but it comes at a price of 25% of your income. This is a competitive business and people who can build what you're asking for are clenching their creation tightly. Programmers aren't cheap and unless you pay competitively, they just may lose interest.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's COBAL, not cobalt.

Ack!
    It's COBOL, not COBAL.

It's SNOBOL, not COBOL ... Yes there really was a SNOBOL.

Can anyone take this word association to the next one? Come on you old hackers out there. What's another ___BOL?

Howzabout...

FUTBOL

COBOL! Wow! That brings back memories. I took it as a course in college back in the late 1970s. It was considered a very complicated language. I enjoyed it because there was a sort of thrill when I finally got a program to work. If I remember correctly, banks used it a lot on mainframe computers for maintaining accounts. Is it still around?

I've never heard of anybody using it to program on the Internet. There are so many other programs that are easier to use out there specifically designed for maintaining databases.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Actually, there is both COBOL and COBALT. COBOL is the old programming language used in business applications back in the "old days", though I was using FORTRAN at the time. . But there is also COBALT which is a programming language for Palm OS. If you do a Google/Yahoo/MSN/whatever search, you can find both languages.

Maybe Lectrickitty's contact was gonna program a Palm Pilot?????
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

clarification:

When he talked about cobal (or whaterver it was?) he was telling me that it was required in his class, but he also mentioned that he hated it. He did talk about lots of other things with initals that I don't remember. He's been out of school for a year or 2 and admitted that he isn't up on the latest things. He would have to brush up on php, cgi, MySQL and some stuff.

It would be so cool if I could get him to go partners with me so I'd have someone with programing knowledge to turn my ideas into web sites on auto pilot! Or at least teach me how to do it myself. He offered to loan me any of his books and come over and help me on my computer. Like I said, he's one of my son's best friends so as one of his "other mother's" maybe I'll get a bit of preferential treatment...
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    It's exciting riding on the cusp of innovation taking advantage of each new tool as it arrives.

I hear your pleas for affordable software, but for what you want it just may cost a pretty penny. There are free services such as GoldenCan that can give you something close to what you want, but it comes at a price of 25% of your income. - Scott
    I would love to ride a cusp of innovation....if I could learn it but so far i'm still dragging my butt on the ride and as things advance - there is more that is just assumed that you know so I am constantly having to back up and learn something before I learn something. (lol).. uhm..or something like that.

But what I don't get is why should these things that seem to be so common now - like everybody "gets it" be so expensive to put together in a package?

GoldenCan has it's place but I want more control over my sites than what it provides. Plus - I am sure they are on the up and up but I wouldn't sleep at night knowing I had all my eggs in one basket that was under the control of a 2-line script that I couldn't read.

If I knew how to do it (design an affiliate-friendly software program) I'd do it in a hearbeat at a conservative price and put it online and not worry about affiliate links and banner rotation anymore Hmm..maybe that is what I should do - find some college kid to design it and I'll market it for him for 50 percent...

I mean if linkshare can get away with sniperoptics..surely anything is possible.
    leeann

Hey, your never to old to learn something new. So what you can't get it the minute you look at it. So what you walk around talking to yourself saying Okay, Okay and your kids are looking at you like your ready for the old folks home. You mumble and grumble and then you get a little piece of code figured out and you jump up with that crazed look in your eyes, run to your computer before you forget the darn thing, because you have 10 other things pressing on your mind. And how much can an old mind take anyways. You try it out and it works and you think, shoot, I'm not so old, I can get this. Until you move on to the next bit and then your talking to yourself again or sitting there in outer space. Husband walks by saying you name probably 3-4 times before you hear him and he just smiles at you, because he knows your in the zone and wondering if your ready for the next sedative before you brain pops out and he'll be stuck picking up the gunk and trying to explain to the children how their mother just lost her mind trying to keep up with technology.

But hey, I'm going to get this php/mysql thing if it kills me which it probably will, but after all I've been in school for the last 12 years and got at least 5 more to go. So I can take it. Right. Yeah.

LeDonna

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    If I knew how to do it (design an affiliate-friendly software program) I'd do it in a hearbeat at a conservative price and put it online and not worry about affiliate links and banner rotation anymore Hmm..maybe that is what I should do - find some college kid to design it and I'll market it for him for 50 percent...
    This is something I struggle with every day. Software or Sales? Both can earn large fortunes, but which one should be the focus. I wonder if companies like Bizrate or Shopping.com started out with the idea that they'll sell their software? I'm sure they would have been successful software companies if that were the case, but maybe it was a good idea to keep it for themselves. I guess now that they've been sold, it was a software deal afterall.

In any event, I offer PHP affiliate solutions for everything you're looking for. Just let me know through PM if you want more information.

- Scott

>> What's another ___BOL?

Manute Bol

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Ah COBOL with its lovely 'It's like you can just type in English and the compiler will understand you' approach. What a wonky language. Hated it. I actually started with Pascal and then took a step down with COBOL.

I only recently discovered the beauty of PHP, having programmed extensively in ASP and JSP before that. If someone had only introduced me to PHP first I would have saved a lot of time.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    What's another ___BOL?
    BOL is the trading symbol for BAUSCH & LOMB, INC, although I'm not sure whether they are traded on the NYSE or the NASDAQ. So does that count?

Hopefully this is not too off-topic, but did anyone notice in the movie "The Incredibles" that the pasword to the bad guy's mainframe computer was "KRONOS"? Although they might have meant the name to refer to the Titan that was the father of the Olympians in Greek mythology, I like to think they took it from the old mainframe operating system name. All the programs I ran on Indiana University's mainframes in the late 70s and early 80s used the KRONOS operating system.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Wow, I remember Pascal. I spent a few years on Pascal back in the day. It was my 3rd language after Basic and Hypertalk respectively. Started writing Basic programs on the large floppy disks for my Apple IIC+ Eventually I moved up to Apple Macintosh Classic where I learned Hypertalk for Hypercard. It was almost like Flash, very advanced for its time. Those were fun times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTalk

Check out the samples and tell me this doesn't sound like English. I even found a Hypercard player that still works on Mac OS X. Wow, I can't believe I'm running this again after 10 years.

- Scott

Pretty cool Scott, I haven't heard anyone mention Hypercard in a looooong time. I wrote a few little apps in it way back. Of course back then was my first consulting biz, writing a lot of TurboPascal (PC), DBase III (PC), UCSD p-System Pascal (Apple) applications for some small business clients, and lugging around my Compaq "portable" the size of a suitcase. :-) Fun times...
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Wow, TurboPascal. That was one of my first purchases for my first PC. I was running a super fast 486DX-2 66mhz with 8 megs of ram. I played around with TurboPascal for several months building Windows applications, but I enjoyed writing C programs in DOS a little more. Never did build anything of use though. Most of my Pascal was done on Mac Classics. After a few years of that, I discovered perl then PHP a couple years later and really haven't looked back. Did some OpenGL, Scheme, Java and C++ in college, fun stuff.

Now I'm sitting here reading histories of all these languages on Wikipedia, I'm such a nerd.

- Scott

I really need to get around to learning PHP. I learned Basic, FORTRAN and Pascal in high school. It's been years since I did any programming, but I'm really seeing a need to get going on that now.

I've read about C++ on a few threads. What is it, and is it still good to use or has something else come along and made it obsolete?

This should make savvy program minded people cringe, but what I can't seem to get through my head w/ php and databases, is which comes first? The database or the php?? Do you build your database then manipulate it with the php coding so it shows up on your site? Or do you create the php to design your database? Believe it or not I have taken tutorials! I've read books!
    Last edited by leeann; July 30th, 2005 at 09:45 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Now I'm sitting here reading histories of all these languages on Wikipedia, I'm such a nerd.- Scott
    I knew there were people out in the world who did that kind of thing but I've never seen one admit it.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    This should make savvy program minded people cringe, but what I can't seem to get through my head w/ php and databases, is which comes first? The database or the php?? Do you build your database then manipulate it with the php coding so it shows up on your site? Or do you create the php to design your database? Believe it or not I have taken tutorials! I've read books!
    I always create my database first. I usually do it through phpMyAdmin. Once the table and fields are in place, I might even manually enter some information. From there I can go two ways. I need to build an editor which allows me to edit this information. Then I need to build a display which displays the information for the end user. This is just my development process.

When you install a packaged PHP script, the database structure may be built into the code, so you will need to run the PHP code first. The PHP will execute the mySQL queries necessary to build the database. So in this case the PHP comes first, but it won't be fully functional until the databases have been created.

Hope this makes sense!
    - Scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast