View Poll Results: How much would you pay?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • $5

2 12.50%
  • $10

0 0%
  • $25

0 0%
  • $50

0 0%
  • Zippo-Nada-Nuttin

14 87.50%
    Merchants. How much would you pay monthly to a shopping/coupon site to have your website listed?

Lets assume the site in question has 25,000 visitors a month.
    Deleted

I think I would like to see the site.

It is all hypothetical. You assume all is equal. You assume the site in question is a good site with targeted visitors.

Pick a site that you like and imagine it is that site (with 25,000 targeted visitors a month)
    Deleted

I would be willing to pay $1.25 if my link were exposed to every visitor. I figure the value of a click to be roughly 5 cents and I would expect 1/1000 of your sites visitors to click my link.

(25,000 x $.05) x (.001 expected ctr) = $1.25

I think a site with only 25,000 visitors per month shouldn't be in the business of selling traffic.

Like I said... This is all hypothetical and is really just spur of the moment. It comes from my previous post. Read that and you will understand a little more.

As far as selling traffic. I wouldn't look at it like that. You have real-estate when you have a website. Depending on how you manage it, it could be swamp-land or beach-front. You are simply renting space when you get paid to put another link on your site.

I have read where some merchants give higher commissions to site owners with a lot of traffic simply as an incentive to get their links on the front page. What if, instead of trading that space for a higher commission, you traded for cash? Put the risk back on the merchant. You wouldn't have to worry about commission thieves. No more worrying about reversals. None of that.

Like I said, this is just a spur of the moment thing and nothing more. I don't have a site that gets anywhere near 25K a month in visitors.
    Deleted

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally if I was a merchant, I'd pay Nada because I know that most sales come from back pages and that a front page link is usually a waste of pixels.

The fact that most coupon sites tend to try to cram 1000 things on the front page would further destroy the value of a link there.

BUT, you are apparently asking about the perspective of those yo-yos who pay extra for a front page placement. So, with those merchants in mind:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What if, instead of trading that space for a higher commission, you traded for cash? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would depend on how many other links were on the page. One link amongst 50 others isn't worth a heckuva lot. One link out of 3 or 4 is usually worth a lot more...

Then there's the question of whether it's a direct link or a tracking link. For a tracking link, the fact that every sale = commission would probably lower the amount of cash involved. The cash would be a bonus for putting the link on the front page, but the merchant would not be utterly deleted from the site without that bonus.

I'd say about .30/1000 imps for a tracking link. That's about half the price of banner imps, but there's also commission involved.

If they wanted a direct link, that's a whole different story--personally I'd charge through the butt! Not only do direct links not bring commissions, they also help SE ranks. PR would determine the fee. I've seen link auction places that charge simply eyepopping amounts for links from pages with decent PR.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

GREAT reply Leader. I'd have to agree with you that a link alone on a homepage, especially one that is overcrowded by hundreds of other links, isn't worth a whole heck of a lot.

Also, I'm of the mind that the whole CPC model is not very sound to begin with. Think of it as a sales rep that makes 20,000 calls each day, but doesn't close a single sale. What benefit is he/she bringing to the company? I'd rather have a sales rep that makes 50 calls a day, yet closes business on 45.

A CPA system, IMO, gives the affiliate more ownership over the product. It's more of a true partnership, we both profit at the same time.

That's my 2 cents.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread