Adsense Not Showing on WWW Version of Site
    It seems I'm getting Google's Public Service Announcements on the www version of my site (e.g. www .mysite.com) but the regular adsense ads are showing up on the non-www version of my site (e.g. http:// mysite.com). Anyone know why this would be and how I could fix it?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    There have been www vs. non-www problems and issues for quite a while. Technically, www is a subdomain of yoursite.com, not the same page; so the pages are duplicates of each other if they can both be accessed with the same content.

The easiest thing is to decide which one to use, which one has most of the links pointing to it, and redirect the other page to it so that whichever is typed in or surfed to, only the one you choose will show up.

Links are taken into account, so if you use mostly non-www for your site links(which is what it sounds like) then redirect the www to yoursite.com (without the www.) in .htaccess using mod_rewrite and if possible have all the links pointing just to that one.

Thanks webworker.

This is such a simple thing, you'd think Google would have had it under control by now, but they don't. Webworker is right on target. Search for your site with and without the "www" to see which has the most pages indexed, and then do a permanent redirect to the version with the most pages indexed.

Make sure you do a permanent redirect, not a temporary one, or you'll be opening yourself up for more problems.

I dumped the "www" earlier this year, and it took Google a while to figure it out, but eventually they did. And the duplicate penalty from Google is not something you want to get hit with.

Andy

Thanks for the tips!

I checked my site and luckily the google ads work correctly on the "www" version and the non "www" version.

Does having a "www" and a non "www" really qualify for the duplicate site penalty? If it does, then I'll probably set up a redirect then...

Thanks in advance

DSC,

No one can say for certain what the duplicate penalty entails, but since Google will often have a different total for pages listed for "www" than it does without the "www," I'd say why take a chance?

Doing a permanent redirect to one or the other makes sense, and is pretty easy to do. I dumped the "www" since it's a subdomain, and it isn't necessary. I've heard the powers that be that update html and code are considering making the "www" obsolete at some point anyway, so might as well stay ahead of the game.

Andy

Thanks for the info

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread