Affiliate Network Rep
    Exclamation Adware/Spyware the 2nd coming
    Hi

Just following on from a thread in another forum where I thought it was better to edit my post and start a new thread on the subject somewhere more generic.

Essentially there are some affiliates using the likes of 180 sol et al like other affiliates use adwords. This is a simplistic definition but sums it up quite well as the affiliates concerned are using the spyware like a promotional tool . The earnings being made from this by a lot of networks are fairly substantial and when advertisers are fully educated about whats happening they will not be best pleased that the guys they trust to run their affiliate programs either dont monitor this or even wrose know about it and let it ride.

We first saw this happening about 5 months ago in the UK and one or two affiliates and Ben were doing some great work in identifying it .

I must say it came as a bit of a shock to the many advertisers we have shown so far that their chosen networks were doing nothing to police this even when presented with all the information that you can see is available.

For a good while we were able to see this activity in real time and some networks are profiting heavily from it . At our network in the UK we had to suspend 3 affiliates for this practice and up to the point of writing this we are fully clean as far as this new emergence is concerned . Some of our slower counterparts are most definately not clean!

I'd like to see them follow suit but know first hand they have been informed ages ago and have done nothing so far and they will only act if there is another affiliate/merchant uprising on the issue like we had over direct to spyware dealings in the Uk a while back.

The only way to get the big boys to act is to hit their pockets but people have so much invested in earnings for big programs that they dont want to take the hit to acheive the long term aims.

This issue will drag on but I have to say that although from an industry viewpoint Id like it canned tomorrow , if the big boys drag their feet it gives me another selling point to attract large brand name programs to my own network.

When a few more merchants jump ship watch how quickly the larger networks deal with this issue , its always the same once the value of having it doesnt out weigh the value of getting rid.

The more noise you guys make about this issue the better.

Regards

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@perfiliate.com
    +44(0)191 2416500
    www.buy.at

Good to know there has been some progress in the UK. What would you say was the main driver for it?

I fear that here in North America we are more worried about libel and lawsuits etc. and so people are afraid to out the dirty merchants.

Money talks so maybe one way is to point out the ROI benefits to the merchants and the networks. Are there any studies you can point to that would be useful to merchants?

I suspect some smarter merchants are already moving out of the blatantly dirty networks. Just last week I got an email from a rep. of a group of merchants who are planning to move en masse out of a big network. They are thinking of going with an in-house or possibly private network solution and wanted to research their options.

I doubt there will ever be a technical solution but the affiliate software vendors and networks who can add "spot the bad affiliate" features to their platform will benefit, as this will help the proactive merchants to clean house.

Regards,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi

The main driver is being ethical. Our network has always adopted a standpoint of being ethical with our affiliates and merchants from the moment we started to present day .

We couldnt have done it without the help of guys like Rich Danby and Ben though as they have worked tirelessly to find out whats really going on and we took things on from their inhouse to monitor our own activity for the tell tale signs.

If I know that something is bad business for either party - affiliate or merchant then we act on it .

It was the same with ad blocking software when we saw that was blocking affiliate links we sorted it out in quick fashion .

1x1 pixels being picked up as web bugs led us to develop server 2 server tracking which didnt use 3rd party cookies.

The list goes on like that but we dont rest on our laurels and are always trying to improve what we do in this space as one day we will be the biggest network in the world and in the position to lead from the front by example and make the industry a much cleaner place for us all to play fairly in.

In terms of getting merchants to act - as soon as you show them their own url redirecting to a competitor or competitor affiliate through the use of spyware it doesnt take long to convince them that either their own network is in on it or they have no idea about it - either way it doesnt look like a good service.

Mass education takes more time but in the meantime I am quite happy to pick off big brands one by one - thats what i have done for the last 3 years in the UK and we have about 60-70 of the UK's biggest brand name clients small compared to the USA but fairly decent in the UK and enough to be going on with until tomorrow :-)

Regards

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500

ABW Ambassador
    Come to the U.S. and give these networks some competition

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi Trust

I would love to but I think that coming to the US as anything but the 1st or 2nd largest network in Europe would fall on deaf ears with the big brand advertisers you have in your country.

When we are a little bigger I would jump at the chance to bring our brand of affiliate marketing to the table and see how it stands up. I hope we are working in partnership on programs at some point in the future.

Thanks

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500

Quote Originally Posted by perfiliate
    Hi Trust

I would love to but I think that coming to the US as anything but the 1st or 2nd largest network in Europe would fall on deaf ears with the big brand advertisers you have in your country.
    I disagree. If you have a unique offering and can show the ethical and $$ benefits based on your European experience I think it would be refreshing and you would get business. Size of your resources could be an issue re scalability as you may get overwhelmed. But that's a nice business problem to have. Maybe focus on one niche to start with (e.g. b2b before b2c merchants).

What's involved to "come over"? Most of it can be done over the net anyway, no?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi

I appeciate the support and think to a point it could be done but when we do arrive I would like it to be from a better position and although we would get taken seriously in some quarters in others we would be yet another network in America.

By building our foundations stronger in Europe we would have a better footing to talk seriously with the biggest of companies in the US.

This space moves quickly though so I am sure you will see us before long :-)

In terms of setting things up if we came I would come myself and set up an office in the US as a base of operations to begin with rather than try and work things out from over here.

To set up is peanuts in real business terms and Im sure the rewards would be substantial fairlry quickly but I have seen to many poorly planned expansions recently in our industry and will draw on that experience when we make any moves ourselves so that the fanfare is big enough that we grow quickly on arrival.

For now moving up the ranks in our own geographic will keep me busy enough :-)

Thanks for taking the time to post its encouraging for me to dream about the day it all comes together and maybe ill get to chat with you in person as Im sure ill be attending some more Stateside events over the next year.

Thanks

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at
    Last edited by perfiliate; July 31st, 2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread