Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Thanks Haiko. Your word is gold...

Implementing this for a large number of merchants doesn't make a lot of sense, since 25% of my monthly income is a pretty substantial sum of money and this service obviously isn't worth that much.

That being said, I'm going to do a test run with Goldencan for one of my underperforming merchants that is a pain in the a$$ to work with when it comes to updating coupons. I'll report back in a month or so and let everyone know if it increases sales at all. I'm only earning about $50/month with this merchant right now, so there's no place to go but up!

Take care...

-- Todd

P.S. Asif - I second Skishopmatt's suggestion that you add the ability to see the breakdown of clicks. It would go a long way toward easing people's minds about this being a scam.
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Implementing this for a large number of merchants doesn't make a lot of sense, since 25% of my monthly income is a pretty substantial sum of money and this service obviously isn't worth that much.

That being said, I'm going to do a test run with Goldencan for one of my underperforming merchants that is a pain in the a$$ to work with when it comes to updating coupons. I'll report back in a month or so and let everyone know if it increases sales at all. I'm only earning about $50/month with this merchant right now, so there's no place to go but up!
    Todd, it's been almost two months since your post. Any increase in sales with the $50 merchant?!?! We're all curious...

Question to Asif: Am I understanding the system correctly when I think that GoldenCAN may be used only by those of my affiliates that are willing to (those that either do not have the time, or the knowledge to import the feeds themselves), while the others may stay the way they are now (using WebMerge or whatever they are using now)? In other words: is it solely the choice of the affiliate (to give his 25% to you)?!

Thanks,

Geno

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

Todd, it's been almost two months since your post. Any increase in sales with the $50 merchant?!?! We're all curious...

Question to Asif: Am I understanding the system correctly when I think that GoldenCAN may be used only by those of my affiliates that are willing to (those that either do not have the time, or the knowledge to import the feeds themselves), while the others may stay the way they are now (using WebMerge or whatever they are using now)? In other words: is it solely the choice of the affiliate (to give his 25% to you)?!

Thanks,

Geno
    Geno, Any one can use GoldenCAN if they like, either they are programmer or not, as long as they are approved for the merchant affiliate program.

Thanks
    Asif

I would still like to hear from TODD.

Geno

Hey Geno,

Not really. The majority of my Amazon sales are still coming from non-GoldenCAN links. I still think it's a good tool for newbies and part timers, but probably not of too much use to more experienced affiliates.

Hope this helps.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Hi Geno,

The majority of my Amazon sales are still coming from non-GoldenCAN links. I think it's a good tool for newbies and part time affiliates, but not of much use to those of us who are more experienced.

Hope this helps.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Not really. The majority of my Amazon sales are still coming from non-GoldenCAN links. I still think it's a good tool for newbies and part timers, but probably not of too much use to more experienced affiliates.
    I hear you, Todd.

Thank you.

Geno

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I've removed GoldenCan from my site. I saw an increase in Amazon sales, but the majority of them came from my non-GoldenCan Amazon links. In addition their new table format is too wide and blew out the column that it was in on my pages. I still think it could be of some use to newbies and others who need coupons on their site, but for established affiliates I really don't see much of a benefit. Hope this helps.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Just wanted to let you know that I've removed GoldenCan from my site. I saw an increase in Amazon sales, but the majority of them came from my non-GoldenCan Amazon links.
    If it isn't selling for you, then you should make changes - no argument there at all. But there's lots of reasons why it might not sell and I'm not sure (other than losing 1-in-4 clicks for most GC merchants) why it would be GoldenCAN's fault. And for the 1-in-4 cost of using GC, I think more merchants will be moving to make it free for us and skipping the 1-in-4 route. I'm not saying GoldenCAN is for everyone, but I do see lots of ways it can work (and is working) for me. It saves great gobs of time if you're aggregating product choices for your visitors. And I like the way it shows specifcs - so in a case where you have 3 competing merchants for instance, instead of three separate links or banners (or the work you'd need to do to integrate and deliver and maintain separate datafeeds), you can just plop down the GC. It ALSO allows me to totally separate the SEO aspects I build into a page from the noise (and worry of dupe penalties) of the datafeeds that would be required without GC.

their new table format is too wide and blew out the column that it was in on my pages.
    CSS carries into the GC script - set up a container or table and you can control every aspect of how it appears, including the width.

I still think it could be of some use to newbies and others who need coupons on their site, but for established affiliates I really don't see much of a benefit. Hope this helps.
    One way I am using it is for very EASY price comparisons of specific products.

Not disagreeing with you tmartini, just letting others know of one experienced affiliate who finds it has lots of benefits for me. Like all things coding and conversion, each aff needs to experiment and find what works for them (and even those things, don't always work or fail across all sites an aff has).

If you're an established or newbie aff, and you're not good with datafeeds and dynamic tools (or you're short on time to massage them), GC is definitely worth a try.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I look forward to more better converting merchants to adopt a GoldenCan feed. Those affiliates, not running the ever common Deals & Coupon sites and e-mails, could using this tool without ever incuring a SE penality. Any merchant with a feed should have a GC option.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    If it isn't selling for you, then you should make changes - no argument there at all. But there's lots of reasons why it might not sell and I'm not sure (other than losing 1-in-4 clicks for most GC merchants) why it would be GoldenCAN's fault. And for the 1-in-4 cost of using GC, I think more merchants will be moving to make it free for us and skipping the 1-in-4 route.
    I'm sure for some sites it will be a great tool, but for an established coupon/deal site like ourselves it really doesn't offer much. The coupons that are offered are generally the same coupons that every other coupon/deal site has, and our focus is on providing exclusive coupons/deals whenever possible. As for the datafeeds, we do most of that programming in-house, so again it's not of much benefit to us. For those reasons, and the 1 in 4 click cost, GC is not a good fit for our site, but that doesn't mean lots of other sites won't find it to be useful. In addition if enough merchants make it a free service in the future I may reevaluate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    CSS carries into the GC script - set up a container or table and you can control every aspect of how it appears, including the width.
    I actually had it contained within a table that was 400 pixels wide, which is the column width for my center column, and it blew out the width to approximately 450 pixels. At least for the Amazon store the minimum width of the GC table appears to be 450. For many sites I'm sure that's not a problem, but we made a decision early on to make our site easy to view at any resolution, so the center column needs to remain 400 pixels wide for the time being.

Hope everything is going great. Take care.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread