Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    WeatherBug is a new CJ Advertiser
    At Todd's suggestion, I logged into CJ just now to look up a posted policy. While there, I noticed the "New Advertisers" listed there for today.

WeatherBug is listed as a new CJ advertiser as of 1-Aug-2005.

Join me in welcoming them!

Looks like WeatherBug, through CJ, will pay a $0.55 bounty for each user who downloads and registers the free WeatherBug application as a result of clicking on an ad on your site.

Here's some great stuff for us to try and comprehend:
    http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/support/60faq_spyware.htm

15 years and counting
    CJ, YOU'RE A CRAPPY COMPANY.

When are you going to stop promoting this kind of shitty companies spreading malware!

After screensavers and co, we have the weatherbugs. Where are you Todd? Who is running your compliance department? You are really not worth my time.

"According to their website, Weatherbug is not spyware, however it is adware. It does not monitor, collect data or 'spy' on its user base, however the program is considered adware since the free version is ad-supported."

Donuts, not sure what you are insinuating but...

I have had their product installed on my computer here at work for over two months and have seen nothing other than weatherbug related functions, like forecasts, weather alerts and other weather related data. I have had no ads pop nor seen any activity that would concern us, our advertisers or publishers. Furthermore, we had our compliance team test the product prior to launching the program.

The product does serve ads from witin the interface similar to the way hotmail serves ads when you log in to check your email. Nothing is forced on the user - these are CPM type ads.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

15 years and counting
    We are insinuating you'll do anyting for a buck. DISGUSTING!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford

I have had their product installed on my computer here at work for over two months and have seen nothing other than weatherbug related functions, like forecasts, weather alerts and other weather related data. I have had no ads pop nor seen any activity that would concern us, our advertisers or publishers. Furthermore, we had our compliance team test the product prior to launching the program.

The product does serve ads from witin the interface similar to the way hotmail serves ads when you log in to check your email. Nothing is forced on the user - these are CPM type ads.
    Todd, this post will haunt you for years to come.

Internet Cowboy
    Donuts,
    It scares me how much alike we think.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=61386
    You beat me by minutes on this one.

Someone please merge the two threads

Download the product and see for yourself. Right now, you are simply jumping to conclusions with no evidence.

Here is a screenshot. You can see the ad at the bottom - this is the ad supported free version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Todd Crawford

Internet Cowboy
    This is CJ's latest attempt at mass infestation of applications that make them more money in the end. Of course their disregard for the affiliate marketing industry as a whole and their apparent single-minded focus on padding their bank account with no consideration of any potential fallout is in the forefront.

Todd,
    Does this not concern you?
    You understand and agree that installation of the Software permits the downloading to your computer by AWS of software which allows us to update the Software for the purpose of fixing product defects, enhancing the weather warning, alerting or other functionality, or providing enhancements to improve your interaction with the Software, and that such updates may occur without notice to you. You agree to accept all such updates and agree that they are and shall be governed by this Agreement

There are no affiliate type links used in the weatherbug product - these are CPM type ads.
    Todd Crawford

15 years and counting
    Todd - I have had their product installed on my computer here at work for over two months and have seen nothing other than weatherbug related functions, like forecasts, weather alerts and other weather related data.
    BS. Just have a look here. Wait a few months, give them time to collect your email and tell us again about your experience.

Weather Bug: More then just Spyware, it's a pain in the ass
    http://axe-s.com/weatherbug/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    BS. Just have a look here. Wait a few months, give them time to collect your email and tell us again about your experience.

Weather Bug: More then just Spyware, it's a pain in the ass
    http://axe-s.com/weatherbug/
    First of all, I have no idea who this person is or when this was written. I personally had several conversations with management and product managers about their current product and past issues. I have the facts, I have the product installed on my machine, I have had our Network Quality team test the product. I have no concerns - otherwise I would not have allowed them to launch a program in the network.
    Todd Crawford

Internet Cowboy
    I have had their product installed on my computer here at work for over two months...
    I am not happy to know that Todd's work computer, which is no doubt tied to the CJ network reporting and tracking computers in some fashion, has adware on it.

Todd, is it really a good idea to knowingly load adware on a CJ network machine? Can you honestly say that is in the best interest of your network and your affiliates? Does your network not hold large amounts of very sensitive data about not only the network but also about your affiliates?

As an affiliate of Commission Junction, I am requesting that this Adware/Spyware application be immediately removed from any machine on CJ's network. I do not want my personal data or any of my sales to be affected because you were careless enough to knowingly load Adware on your computer!!!!!
    Anyone agreeing with this, please quote the bolded section of this post and repost it.
    Thank you

You all can continue to debate this and post links to sites claiming that this product is spyware or adware. I too know how to use Google and look these things up. I am well aware of past issues. As I have said, the product supports itself with CPM type adds. It does not affect affiliate links or traffic.

I understand your initial concerns but they are opinion and speculation. Install it and find out for yourself.
    Todd Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I am not happy to know that Todd's work computer, which is no doubt tied to the CJ network reporting and tracking computers in some fashion, has adware on it.
    The product is no longer installed on my computer.
    Todd Crawford

15 years and counting
    Todd -I have no concerns - otherwise I would not have allowed them to launch a program in the network.
    CJ is rewarding their friends. We all know what they did. They are going to be nice a few months, just the time to launch their affiliate program at CJ, to please Todd, before to go back...
    Todd - and past issues. I have the facts
    I have them too and it's ugly.

You have no concern, Todd? A crook is a crook. Period.
    As a Sales VP, don't you have better companies to promote?

ABW Ambassador
    Either Norton or the MS product caught it and isolated it a while back. It came bundled with the AOL IM product if I remember correctly - I never voluntarily installed it or anything like it.

I am really not sure of Weatherbug, however I do know that when people like Zeus & US have such grave concerns about them, definitely they should be removed at least temporarily and have their software thoroughly tested again. And yes, having Adware on any machines at the company is just unacceptable.
    Looks as if you've pulled yourself in a mess Todd.

As an affiliate of Commission Juntion, I am requesting that ANY Adware/Spyware application be immediately removed from any machine on CJ's network. I do not want my personal data or any of my sales to be affected because you were careless enough to knowingly load Adware on your computer!!!!!

The product is no longer installed on my computer.

Will you care to uninstall their program from the network as well now?

We have already done the testing. If you have concerns, you should do your own testing.
    Todd Crawford

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I trust doxdesk in these matters. Doxdesk lists Weatherbug in its "reformed, borderline and non-parasites" section.

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/WeatherBug.html

However, WeatherBug has in the past been silently installed by the FavoriteMan parasite and Freeze.com screensavers, and more recently has been bundled by software such as AIM and Blubster. This makes it ‘unsolicited’, and since it is installed to raise money for its creators through the built-in ads it is certainly ‘commercial’. So it does meet the definition for ‘parasite’: unsolicited commercial software. It is nonetheless listed as a borderline case because it is not overtly harmful and many people do install it deliberately. WeatherBug also itself bundles the MySearch parasite in its standalone distribution, and has in the past installed Gator and SVAPlayer.

We have already done the testing. If you have concerns, you should do your own testing.
    And just how many times have you tested Ebates till now?

I was just about to go get a CJ link for it and begin testing, but have decided this is the final straw for me personally. I am instead, working on my CJ exit plan - I have one remaining merchant at CJ - I earned over $4,200 in commissions from him in July - I will be notifying him today that I will be searching for suitable non-CJ replacement for him.

Internet Cowboy
    If it is commercial software (which it is) and is delivered to users via bundling and installed without their knowledge (which it is, according to doxdesk), and has other commercial adware bundled with it (which doxdesk reports it does) this would make CJ a perfect target for the likes of Elliot Spitzer.

Thanks for putting your network in the way of a potential legal timebomb CJ. Those of us who promote your merchants and rely on you to feed our families really appreciate your careless and thoughtless approach to making a buck with no regard of the potential fallout. You are truly a TRUSTED THIRD PARTY!.....NOT!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast