Affiliate Manager
    Newbie Linkshare merchant question
    I'm getting promoted to taking over our company's Linkshare program. I wanted initally to run it in-house but I lost out to someone else who recommended LS. I think now he is over his head. Is there anything I need to be aware of, afraid of, hopeful for, etc.? I want to make this program rock but I've heard nothing but bad things about Linkshare here and unfortunately, we signed our 12 month agreement about 4 months ago.

Thanks for any and all insight!!

Cool
    >>>we signed our 12 month agreement about 4 months ago<<<

so if things go from bad to worse you'll be switching out of LS at a good time of the year.

Meanwhile you're probably learning what tools are available for affiliates to help them make money for this merchant. Which is what it is all about, no matter where you are.

enjoy, and Good Luck!

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    All I would suggest is that you take the advice with a grain of salt....see how the next 8 months goes, and make an educated decision on your own...I take it you are a big boy or girl and are capable of doing so.

Lately all the networks seem to have their own little itty bitty problems, but their are so many factors involved, your product can totally suck, your commissions can be low.

One of the biggest mistakes a partner can make is not hiring a dedicated LinkShare/CJ rep to help manage their program.....Definately an asset, they have the experience to make things happen, and talk to affiliates every day..If they are leaving their affiliate program in the hands of their IT guy, it will fail.

IT Guy/Girl DOES NOT EQUAL Affiliate Manager

IT Guy/Girl DOES EQUAL the person that spies on employees, runs pretty blue cables and loads anti virus software

IT Guy running Affiliate Program equals sure failure

Have a nice ride on the LS Wave buddy....speak with you in 8 months

Diddy

Internet Cowboy
    Email Andy Rodriguez.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
    He will at least talk to you for a few minutes and will most likely do a lot more than that. Attend his next affiliate manager training seminar. It is the best investment your company will ever make in your affiliate program.
    You will find many affiliates right now who have had all of Linkshare that they can take, and rightfully so. Linkshare is not full of bad people, but it does seem to be full of incredibly bad and amazingly untimely decisions that have cost Linkshare affiliates a lot of money and caused them even more headaches.

FYI, tell your boss never to sign on with an affiliate marketing network or management/consulting company that demands a contract. That is not a good move in this industry. Things can go to hell too quickly.
    Best of luck!

Affiliate Manager
    The basic problem was that they signed up with LS with no plan of action. They now see that after 3 months and 13 leads with one signup, they need to do a better job of running the affiliate program which is where I come in. When the timing is right, I'll make an announcement here in proper fashion. One of my fears is that the reason the program is failing is because everyone avoids LS like the plague.

I wish you the best....but fear you are in for a rough ride ahead of you. Too bad you can't PM me and we could talk frankly about LS.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Even though you are at LS, you can still have a successful program. It may not be your preferred network but, like you said, you're in a contract right now, so make the most of it. Relying on the network to recruit your affiliates is one of many possible mistakes.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager
    In order, what would be the steps to take to recruit affiliates?

Netspeed, give me a call (my number's on my site) or fill out my contact form with a good time to call and we can take a quick look at your program. You can also IM me if you prefer.

Affiliate Manager
    I'm not quite up to speed yet. I've got the old affiliate manager coming in on Thursday to go over all the Linkshare stuff. After a week or two, I might have my head above water. If I need to, I'll contact you then. Thanks for the help!

Ok, feel free to contact me if you need any assistance. Best of luck with your program.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Best advice is to search through ABW for 2 forums where the steps to LS success were well documented and both merchants recruited active affiliates and their programs took off from jump street. Merchant #1 Overstock was a re-plant from the Befree network and #2 Mondera was a startup.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

NetSpeed: I took over a LS program in April and have worked through many of the shortcomings. Feel free to contact me and I can give you advice based on my experience.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Every network has good and bad things, there are things that LS does very well, things not so well, things CJ does well and things I really hate, same for SAS , DT MyApp etc etc etc.

The network is what you make of it, and ultimately the network is one of your tools.

For every 1 person who says a particular network is bad and they won't work with it, there are another 50 who do, people are always more vocal about the bad than the good.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Linkshare is a great network, many people complain about them but 90% still use linkshare because of thier merchants. For your affiliate program you need to make some incentives for the affiliates. A tier payment structure, coupons/special deals that are only avaibile through affiliates. Once you have this setup, you need to post it here. Without know what business your in, I am unable to give you much advice.

Affiliate Manager
    Probably next week I'll pay for the official announcment so these questions can run through the proper channels. The absolute LAST thing I want to do is to spam everyone. BTW...we are a legit business that does about $4 million a month in a very competitive industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Every network has good and bad things, there are things that LS does very well, things not so well, things CJ does well and things I really hate, same for SAS , DT MyApp etc etc etc.

The network is what you make of it, and ultimately the network is one of your tools.

For every 1 person who says a particular network is bad and they won't work with it, there are another 50 who do, people are always more vocal about the bad than the good.

Cheers

Chris
    I agree with you Chris. We use Linkshare and while some features drive me crazy, they are offset by others.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread