Perl execution limit.
    I guess I'm out of luck for now with the bettymills dyse script. I'm hitting an execution time limit on both the servers I'm currently using. (Site5 and Hostexcellence)

The other scripts have been a breeze ..well with a lot of help from David, who has patiently answered in detail my tedious newbie questions...moving dyse's htaccess to the top to avoid conflict with pre-existing rewrites...explaining cronjob and ssh and pointing to a linux command tutorial...

I tried requesting execution time increases. Site5's answer was it would need to be server wide and that made it cost prohibitive.

hostexcellence answer was...

Jul 31, 2005 10:08:57 PM]
    A: Dear Valued Customer.
    Thanks for your words to support.

Unfortunately it is impossible to increase this limit. We suggest you
    to reduce script execution time, e.g. optimize backend queries.
    If you'll have further questions, feel free to contact us 24/7.

Respectfully,
    Yury Butov
    Technical Support
    hostexcellence
    ok Yury...I suggest you to make my server run faster...

If you install ActivePerl on your Windows PC, you can then run DySE::BettyMills make.pl locally. Unpack DySE::BettyMills .zip file onto your hard drive and run make.pl from there. Then upload the created data/*.db files to your server (e.g.: /cgi-bin/dyse/MERCHANT/data/*.db).

Note: This work-around will only work if your server has Compress::Zlib compression library installed. Since ActivePerl does have it installed, the created *.db files will contain compressed data. If your server does not have Compress::Zlib installed, then view.pl will issue an error when you try to view any DySE generated webpages: "FILE.db: contains compressed data but Compress::Zlib not installed". There currently is no configuration variable whereby you can tell make.pl to not use compression.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano
    If you install ActivePerl on your Windows PC, you can then run DySE::BettyMills make.pl locally. Unpack DySE::BettyMills .zip file onto your hard drive and run make.pl from there. Then upload the created data/*.db files to your server (e.g.: /cgi-bin/dyse/MERCHANT/data/*.db).

Note: This work-around will only work if your server has Compress::Zlib compression library installed. Since ActivePerl does have it installed, the created *.db files will contain compressed data. If your server does not have Compress::Zlib installed, then view.pl will issue an error when you try to view any DySE generated webpages: "FILE.db: contains compressed data but Compress::Zlib not installed". There currently is no configuration variable whereby you can tell make.pl to not use compression.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight. This sounds familiar...that was in the documentation wasn't it? I've made some progress in customizing the other merchants in the meantime.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Is there anything we can do to make the pages load faster? Seems very slow to me. Really takes a long time for my search to crawl the pages too

Which script are you talking about? Contact me with your URL so I can see your website.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Ran make.pl and uploaded bettymills with no problem. HON started hitting the same execution limit today and I ran it on my PC also. I also turned on cloaking. I see for HON the aff ID doesn't show in the URL until landing at HON. (well it's not really the ID..but CJ is in the URL which indicates....something...) For BettyMills I don't see the aff ID even after clicking through to their site. So, once again being new to something... How do I know the cloaking is working?

The www.bettymills.com website does a redirect. So you won't see any affiliate ID in your web browser's address bar once you've clicked a BettyMills.com link (whether cloaked or visible).

Look in the make.pl output log and you should see "key found" and your affiliate ID. You can also go to your store's home page and then add /version to the URL (e.g.: YourDomain.com/version or YourDomain.com/shop/version if your store is in subdirectory /shop/) and you should see: "Affiliate ID:" and "Key expiration date:".

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

There is this fuzzy border between beliefs and knowing...more often explored in religious debates. Beliefs are given to you and you trust them. Knowing is experienced more directly. I "believe" that the cloaking is working properly. Since you wrote the script, checking for the "key found" is enough for you to "know" it will work. This does strengthen my belief...I was hoping for some sort of cloaking x-ray machine or something...I suppose seeing test clicks show up should be enough of a test. It's not like I need the links to walk on water or anything...

Thanks for all the feedback and support.

Right-click on your link (do not left-click it) and select "Copy Shortcut" from the popup menu to copy the URL of the link. Then go to http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html and paste in the URL. Click Submit and watch all the redirections happening. This works for any URL.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Cool! Now that was some demystifying information! I'm adding that one to my bookmarks.

Don't you have anything better to do than answer all my questions?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread