Can anyone explain this?
    I get up in the morning, go to my computer and search Yahoo for my key phrase. Results come back and I'm #7, so I figure it's going to be a good day. Get to work, about 1 1/2 hours later and do the same search, and I'm #36. Any thoughts on why such a big difference?

Jim

Internet Cowboy
    I think that different results are shown at different times throughout the day as well as different results are shown at different geographical locations.
    I have had the same thing happen many times from the same computer as well as from different computers that were only a few miles apart.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, have seen the same here. I can click on a visitor/URL in my stats that links to Yahoo and the site isn't even there. Look again a day later and there it is. Looks like results switching around and maybe it's a cookie thing (just guessing on cookies but I suspect).

Could be different data centers like Google has with different algos at each center...er sumthin' like that?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Seems to be related to the computer that I am using. Consistently position 5 from my home computer and 37 or so from work computer. Maybe the cookie thing.

Nope. Yahoo has recenly "tweaked" it's math behind their wonderful technology. Many website owners are complaining about this kind of thing. I wished they would leave well enough alone. I dream of the day I see the likes of Yahoo and Google execs standing in the food stamp line, with their children wearing clothes donated through the Good Will, or Salvation Army. It would serve them right.
    Last edited by Lurker Jones; August 5th, 2005 at 02:59 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim132
    Seems to be related to the computer that I am using. Consistently position 5 from my home computer and 37 or so from work computer. Maybe the cookie thing.
    Yahoo has introduced personalization into its search results so it is now possible that every single searcher on Yahoo can see different results. However having said that I don't think this is what is affecting you in this case. Possibly different indexes.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread