Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Zappos.com telephone number
    Zappos has recently added a telephone number just above their logo on all pages, making it very very visible. of course, there is no tracking mechanism to track phone orders, and yesterday, I saw a sharp drop in sales for zappos.

Was wondering if these two things are inter-related - the phone number display and drop in sales.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I think the huge phone number right above the "proceed to checkout" button in the shopping cart does more to reduce affiliate commissions than the number above the logo.

Yeah, but it's new . . . wasn't there previously.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Yes, I saw it too yesterday and wasn’t sure if it was there before.
    My sales also went down and I have a feeling the phone number is related to the drop in sales.

Now that I see it’s not only me im quite sure of it.

Thanks for letting us know AffBuddha. Makes me wonder what I wud've been doin without ABW.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down
    that sucks big time.

hi ho, hi ho. it's time to dump the old zappo

Internet Cowboy
    Has anyone contacted them about this? This is uncharacteristic of Jack and Zappos.

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't seen it - can't say I've seen any change in orders so far. If other merchants can post an affiliate ID with "please quote code xxxxxx" next to the number, then I'm sure that Zappos can.

I suggest we all suggest the same thing.

Internet Cowboy
    Add something to your cart. Phone number on that page 9 times!!
    I think there has been a shake-up at Zappos.
    This is as bad as a parasite.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Can they issue unique numbers to their affs? (I don't use Z at all - no shoes in fact - but some other merchants of mine have done this for me for tracking phone sales)

Internet Cowboy
    I'm sure they could, but nobody in this vertical tracks phone sales. I doubt this is their plan. This is very disheartening.
    As a matter of fact, Z pays less than most other shoe merchants. In the past this has been OK because they were parasite free. Now affiliates have to choose from a shoe program with parasites and one with the 800 number plastered all over the pages.
    I'm thinking I will take my chances with the parasitic programs as I see this as a blatant attempt to divert affiliate sales. If 1 in 5 computers has a parasite and 100% of Z shoppers have the 800 number blasted in their face, I see the 1 in 5 as better odds.
    This looks like the end of a dynasty.

Well I just emailed asking them to confirm if my sale would be lost if it were continued by phone (can't see how it couldn't be).

I also suggested they did a similar thing to BackCountry.com where the ID is carried through as a Ref# directly above the phone number and asked if they had any plans to make this new development affiliate friendly rather than affiliate unfriendly as it is at the moment.

It's worth giving them a chance and asking for clarification, but as others have said, other shoe merchants are starting to look more attractive.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Add something to your cart. Phone number on that page 9 times!!
    I think there has been a shake-up at Zappos.
    This is as bad as a parasite.
    yup. their brains were shaken, or maybe stirred. hehehe

anyway, i don't readily blame the affiliate program for these things. i doubt that the AM calls the shots as to the site design. i think a just-arrived or just-promoted know-nothing but greedy corporate executive just want to put his stamp on their website with complete disregard of the realities.

i was promoting a great-converting merchant before, the next thing you knew, they put up this same technique of a phone number next to the "buy" button. and still not satisfied, they later on required the buyers to buy "by email". i didn't know what happened next because i dumped them.

Hell, they (or CJ? or both?) can't even get online order tracking straight and we're spouting about phone orders?

First things first.

ABW Ambassador
    First thing is phone orders.

With their unreliable cart-tracking, you may or you may not get the sale. we're like playing the roulette.

but with their untrackable phone orders, you do not get creditted for any sale at all.

your post is a food for thought however. maybe zappos is putting this up as a bargaining chip. like, we'll remove the number but quit complaining about tracking.

"maybe zappos is putting this up as a bargaining chip.....complaining about tracking"

Nowadays they don't even answer emails voicing concerns about orders that were paid for and shipped but failed to track. And you want to talk about bargaining?

Like, wake up, dude.

I made $13,436.57 last month in sales for Zappos. I am selling only one brand of shoes and i sent my clients only to zappos since I think their website converts well.
    But, I will drop them in a second after they played this trick on us.

Can any one point me to a good program for shoes?

I think all of us should let them know we are dropping them because of that.

Ill be happy to hear from other AM that are ready to pick up the glove and offer us something better. I suggest that all of us here at ABW will drop them and move to another program. We must show them who have the power.

"Can any one point me to a good program for shoes?"

Been waiting a long time. There was one on Shareasale a while back but they dropped the ball.

Someday, maybe. Someday.

Any shoe vendor with 100 or more brands available is going to get really happy really quick if they launch an in-house program.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    And you want to talk about bargaining?
    correct!

not exactly that probable, but it's a possibility - to silence its critics.

then again, what is greatly probable is that they want everything to themselves. we refer but we don't get paid.

i think the recent showing that they were the most popular site for shoes went into their heads. they don't need us anymore, but before they leave, they want to suck clean the blood out of our websites.

Well, I sent an email to jack (zappos AM) the moment I saw this, no reply as of yet... I think, may be if many of us will email him with the same concern, something of a solution may come out. I don't like merchants parasiting our referrals, and I am sure that is the case with most other affiliates here.

But, zappos have grown too big, too fast, (remember those million dollar day emails?), maybe they think they can do without affiliate's support...they don't need our help anymore, the brand is made, the sales are happening, and there are a lot of repeat-buyers.
    maybe this means that, even if we start promoting other shoe merchants(we like selling shoes), and help build those brands like with did for "most popular shoe store", zappos' sales figures will only keep growing!

Paul, any replies to your email yet?

I emaild too. No reply. I dont expect them to reply. Moving on.

Is shoebuy.com any good?
    Last edited by felix8; August 4th, 2005 at 06:45 PM.

I had two sales there today, one was massive.. however, I notice a trend going on with websites. It seems they have one department for affiliate marketing and another for website marketing. The website marketing people seem to focus on phone and live help type orders, and the affiliate marketing people ( affiliate managers that is ) focus on getting people there. There really has to be better communication between these two teams. As much as people may think that affilate programs are working AGAINST affiliates by doing this, I really don't see that as being true. Most of the ones I have contacted about these issues HAVE corrected them. I hope this will be true with Zappos as well.

"Is shoebuy.com any good?"

Just another CJ merchant.

Internet Cowboy
    As much as I might want to because it would make me feel better, let's not lynch Jack or Zappos just yet. I have a feeling that this came down from above Jack's head. If we all communicate enough without bashing them, we might can get something done. Let's face it, Zappos is by far the best of the shoe merchants.
    I am going to wait a week before I make any drastic moves. If nothing happens within a week from today, loyalty is out the window as far as I am concerned.

Edited to say: I see another shoe merchant in here right now. If another shoe merchant feels like getting aggressive with their terms, now would be the time to take advantage. There are some sizable shoe affiliates looking to make a move.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; August 4th, 2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added another thought

"Let's face it, Zappos is by far the best of the shoe merchants"

When sales do not get tracked and inquiries about non-tracked sales do not get answered, they are not the best merchant for anything at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast