ABW Ambassador
    ZA's New Update Bad for Cookies
    I just got the new update from Zone Alarm and it has several new pieces to it including a Spyware Scan. The spyware scan just scanned my system and deleted cookies from CJ, Linksynergy, and BFast.

Here is what it says about CJ:

Commission Junction
    Tracking Cookie
    This program is a small text or data file that is saved (set) onto your computer to track your browsing activities. Generally, tracking cookies are set by persistent 3rd party web sites. If you are visiting a web site that displays content from another web site (such as an advertiser site) the 3rd party sites can put tracking cookies on your computer which retain your browsing information, such as which links you clicked on. Tracking cookies may also be accessed by other web sites.

How Dangerous is it?

Privacy

This program tracks your browsing habits, and saves small data files onto your computer.

What should I do?
    It is recommended that you quarantine and monitor this application because it has some potential value for you, even though it is categorized as adware, and may pose security issues.

<edited to include what it says about CJ>

ABW Ambassador
    One other thing with this - I had my settings set to manual, but if it's set to automatic which I assume most people will have it set to since that's the default, the system automatically deletes the cookies. It doesn't quarantine them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The networks just can't help themselves as they datamine every scrap of info from every click with their own version of spyware. Tracking sales used to be their primary function, now it's secondary to selling the clickstream data or doing SEO/SEM for clients. The data they refuse to share or give to smaller affiliates is sold to the big commission sharks.

Therefore Zonealarm and the others (Except Microsoft Anti-Spyware) all whack network cookies turning all merchants into a sesson only dice roll.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi

Sounds like a good opportunity for networks who were never targetted in this way but still developed global leading tracking without the need for 3rd party cookies ......hmmmm now where would i find one of them :-)

Joking aside Im so glad we focused in on this a year ago at The buy.at affiliate network to make sure we were ready for things like this being rolled out - I knew it wouldnt just stop at symantec blocking a few root domains.

My own view is that expressed on webmasterradio interview with Haiko last night - The adblocking companies mission is to make the internet users experience a pleasant one . With this mission in mind spyware and adware has got to be top of their clean up list. If you were an ad blocking company it makes sense to kill the beast by attacking its tracking and payment lines.

Enter the blocked root domains of certain networks by symantec as a starter for ten.

As an advance for round 2 comes deleting cookies set by said networks.

Only got thereselves to blame imo and it sure feels good to be riding the wave instead of getting hit by it .

I say go ZA ! - if the merchants start losing tracking on their business they will be off like a shot somewhere else and maybe thats as good news for affiliates as it could be for other networks who end up picking up a couple of big brands to look after

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@perfiliate.com
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sure bodes well for my Safehaven Sales Network Model. Illegal under existing laws to block/blank any affiliate link. Under no circumstances will and clickstream datamining Spyware application be employed within SHN. No need. The merchnats conversion ratios are totally transparent so everyone knows who and what is selling best ...from a shoppers viewpoint!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread