Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Can a domain split up into separate file pieces?
    I'm not sure what to call this so I'll give examples of what I want to do... I use cPanel X v2.5.0

I want to make files like these...

www.mysite.com/one/123
    www.mysite.com/two/123
    www.mysite.com/three/123

Please make any explainations in plain words, I don't know the tech terms.

I hope I explained this right. If it's not clear, please ask and I'll try to explain it better.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

yes you can do exactly what you have listed. I don't use Cpanel, so I can't tell you how to do it. Look for mkdir (make directory) or something similar.

You can also have sub domains that would look like this:
    www.one.mysite.com
    www.two.mysite.com
    www.three.mysite.com

Internet Cowboy
    Think of your web server as a file cabinet. www.yoursite.com is the main drawer, within that drawer can be a ffolder named fred, mary and billy. Their address would be www.yoursite.com/fred, www.yoursite.com/mary and www.yoursite.com/billy.

Add a folder inside billy named sue and you now would have www.yoursite.com/billy/sue

This can go on and on and on. You should have some way in your interface to make a directory or make a folder.

ABW Ambassador
    It's very, very easy using an FTP program. When in the www or public_html folder logged in, just right click and select create new directory. Put in the new folder name in the space that shows up and the folder will show up with an icon. You then just upload the pages into it.

When you link to the subfolder

http://www.yoursite.com/newfolder/

address it in the links including the trailing slash at the end to avoid any confusion for spiders (and some people).

In Cpanel, in the file management section when you're in the www or public_html folder there's a link to click to create a new folder - does the same thing.

with in cpanel click on the file manager link... within this are you can create subdirectories very easily... also as mentioned can also be done via FTP... both methods are very similar...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    I have read that the search engines read a site like

www.mysite.com/mary & www.mysite.com/fred as basically the one site. So if you have www.mysitecom/dogs & www.mysite.com/perfume it can be counter productive, since dogs and perfume don't have anything in common

But if you create it like www.mysite.com.dogs & www.mysite.com.perfume they see it as 2 unique sites.

Is this correct or crap?

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    I have read that the search engines read a site like

www.mysite.com/mary & www.mysite.com/fred as basically the one site. So if you have www.mysitecom/dogs & www.mysite.com/perfume it can be counter productive, since dogs and perfume don't have anything in common

But if you create it like www.mysite.com.dogs & www.mysite.com.perfume they see it as 2 unique sites.

Is this correct or crap?
    If it's correct, how do I make the www.mysite.com.dogs instead of www.mysite.com/dogs?

So much to learn, so little time ...
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

ABW Ambassador
    >>Is this correct or crap?

If you're talking about it in the sense of keeping a website within a relevant theme it's correct, but if you're talking about file structures on a site it's crap.

>>www.mysite.com.dogs instead of www.mysite.com/dogs?

You can't. The last part - like .com or .net or .org - is the top level domain part in how domain names are set up, it would be like having www.abestweb.dogs and it doesn't exist. I think it's a different point that's being made, about staying with the theme of a site.

You can set up as many www.mysite.com/subdirectories/ on a site as you want, you could even have

www.mysite.com/pets/cats/
    www.mysite.com/pets/dogs/
    www.mysite.com/pets/birds/parrots/
    www.mysite.com/pets/birds/canaries/

But I think the point being made is not to add into a site like that something like

www.mysite.com/linux/

but to stay within the overall topic area of the site.

I'm totallly screwing this up ... As a test I used webworker's examples:

www.mysite.com/pets/cats/
    www.mysite.com/pets/dogs/

I created a pets file in the / public_html folder, then uploaded my pets file with links to cats.html and dogs.html:

/ public_html / (Current Folder)
    Create New Folder
    Upload file(s)
    Up one level
    WysiwygPro 755
    _private 755
    _vti_bin 755
    _vti_cnf 755
    _vti_log 755
    _vti_pvt 750
    _vti_txt 755
    cgi-bin 755
    images 755
    xxxxxx.com 755
    pets 755

Here's what shows when I go to www.mysite.com/pets/

Index of /pets
    Name Last modified Size Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parent Directory 05-Aug-2005 18:12 -
    cat.html 05-Aug-2005 18:12 1k
    dog.html 05-Aug-2005 18:12 1k
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.mysite.com Port 80

When I click on the cats.html and dogs.html folders from there, it opens the correct pages. But, when I type www.mysite.com/pets/cats and www.mysite.com/pets/dogs into my addreess bar it goes to my error page.

I'm totallly confused, What am I doing wrong? Should I have uploaded pets to xxxxxx.com 755?

I'm messing around in the guts of my cpanel with things I know nothing about, keeping my fingers crossed that I don't goof and delete something that should stay!

ABW Ambassador
    _vti_bin 755
    _vti_cnf 755
    _vti_log 755
    _vti_pvt 750
    _vti_txt 755
    Those are files for Front Page extensions. Are you using Front Page for your site? If so, that's a different animal altogether (pardon the pun) than "normal" websites.

You did it right if you're seeing the index of the new folder. That's what you see when a folder is lacking an index page for it. If there are files in the folder but no index page, you'll see a list of those files showing. So this is correct

Index of /pets
    Name Last modified Size Description
    Parent Directory 05-Aug-2005 18:12 -
    cat.html 05-Aug-2005 18:12 1k
    dog.html 05-Aug-2005 18:12 1k
    Just put a file called index.html or index.htm into that particular folder and you'll see what's on the that index page instead of the "server" info. Don't ever leave a folder without an index page, unless you make an adjustment in Cpanel so the empty folder root can't be accessed - but it's easier to just put up even a blank page for index.html

sub domains are definatly my suggestion, as far as site structure, here's why:

1) they make the site look orderly, forcing a good structure
    2) the web adress is more appealing because of this
    3) search engines freaking love them
    <br/>
    [URL=http://www.adsense-keyword-list.com]"High Payout" Adsense Keyword List [/URL] - 500+ Words, $12 - $100 Per Click.
    Free Random Samples Available: PM Me if Interested

I don't use frontpage, those files came with the hosting package. I didn't know what they were for so haven't touched them.

Changed pets.html to index.html and it works! I don't know why I didn't name it that to start with, I know there must be always an index, just too tired to see it I guess. Thanks for all the help.

Is that a subdirectory, an addon, or something else? I'm trying to learn the tech term for what I just learned.

ABW Ambassador
    That's a subdirectory, and you've got it!

For the FP extensions, unless you're using them, just ask the host to uninstall them from your site(s). It isn't hard to do, I've accidentally enabled them on reseller accounts and it took a few seconds to get them out. But if yours is an individual account, just ask the tech people. Plus, FP extensions don't play well with other things in .htaccess - which you will use for something or other eventually, down the road.

.htaccess is something I've seen referred to on several threads. I'll eventually get around to learning what it is and how to use it. Right now I'm moving on to something else that I don't have any idea what it is or how to use it. I know what I want to do, but not how to do it...

You've helped a ton already so I'm not going to ask you how to do this, but will you tell me what program I need to use so I'll know where to go looking for info?

I keep links to all my pages in a drop down menu box on each of my pages. I have several hundred pages already and it takes days to update the links when I add a new page. I'm sure there's a way that I can make a "master link code" to put on each page. Then when I want to update links, I can do it one time in the master link area and all the pages will automaticly have the update from the master link.

It would narrow down my search if you could tell me what I use to do that. I've been reading every book I can find and haven't found out how to do it yet.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That should be, http://dogs.mysite.com and http://perfume.mysite.com

You just had it switched around, is all.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not going to ask
    Ask away, and I'm sure others will pitch in and share also.

I'm sure there's a way that I can make a "master link code" to put on each page.
    There sure is, but it may be another topic though it does relate to how you have your navigation set up and can involve using /subdirectories/ on some sites.

You use Server Side Includes or PHP Includes so that there's one file that you "include" with a line of code on all the pages. You just update that one file that's to be "included" as needed, and it automatically updates on all the pages. Personally, I prefer to use PHP includes, in case there's ever anything else on the site that will use PHP.

But those use different file extensions - .shtml or .php unless there's an entry put into .htaccess (which tells the server how to handle delivering pages) that tells the server that it's OK to put the includes on pages with other file extensions. I use them on .htm and .html pages and you'd never know the difference - but it took something in .htaccess first.

So first thing, ask the host to remove the Front Page Extensions because they do NOT always play well with other things that go into .htaccess which I learned by experience when I put the code in to use includes on .htm pages on a site using Front Page and it brought the whole site down.

BTW, are those drop-down menus in Javascript or DHTML? That can make a difference.

the drop down is simple html.

There's a frontpage icon I just checked. It has a link where frontpage can be uninstalled. I just clicked it and now it's uninstalled. There's a new link there now asking if I want to clean up old extensions.

Clicked it and cleaned up all old extensions. Everything looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Ask away, and I'm sure others will pitch in and share also..
    Thanks. I feel like I'm taking advantage of you, but as long as you don't mind, I'll keep asking questions.
    You use Server Side Includes or PHP Includes so that there's one file that you "include" with a line of code on all the pages. You just update that one file that's to be "included" as needed, and it automatically updates on all the pages. Personally, I prefer to use PHP includes, in case there's ever anything else on the site that will use PHP.
    That's exactly what I want... one file to update and it takes care of all the pages. My thick php book may have that in it, but I haven't been able to find it, or understand it, (one or the other)
    BTW, are those drop-down menus in Javascript or DHTML? That can make a difference.
    It's very simple html. I'll give you an example if you need to double check it to make sure it doesn't interfer with anything else.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread