Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Picking out a "safe" domain name
    Ok, so now you think that you have thought up a good domain name, you go to register and it's available.

How do you know that there isn't another company out there with that name already and won't approach you with a cease & desist letter?

Some domain names seem great and you wonder why they are available. Do you check somewhere first?

I'd hate to put all my efforts into a site only to find out that it's really someone elses name and that I would have to take my site down.

Recently read that hypens in a name does not make that name any different then one without the hyphens. Is this true?

Search the trademark database online for free, also do a web search on several of the larger search engines. If it is out there, you will probably find it.

Recently read that hypens in a name does not make that name any different then one without the hyphens. Is this true?
    it makes a difference
    <br/>
    [URL=http://www.adsense-keyword-list.com]"High Payout" Adsense Keyword List [/URL] - 500+ Words, $12 - $100 Per Click.
    Free Random Samples Available: PM Me if Interested

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Some domain names seem great and you wonder why they are available. Do you check somewhere first?
    When I see a good name, I've learned to check archive.org before buying to try to make sure a spammer hasn't "burned it down" with the SEs and then let it expire.

Nothing like snagging a "great" looking name, only to find it's banned coming right out the door
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wish eBates.com and Gator.com came available soon. I'd buy them just to decoupage them posting a padlock on the entry door.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

When I see a good name, I've learned to check archive.org before buying to try to make sure a spammer hasn't "burned it down" with the SEs and then let it expire.
    sorry to hijack this thread...

Leader, thanks for telling us about archive.org. I looked up my very first website and it's there. I got all warm and fuzzy! I loved that site and was sooo proud of it.

I have been thinking about putting it back up and throwing some adsense on it, but then, ewww, all those ads might make it ugly!

my.core.com/~zq If anyone wants to take a gander.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Wish e฿ates.com and Gator.com came available soon. I'd buy them just to decoupage them posting a padlock on the entry door.
    I have a better idea.

Buy them now, make a couple of Millions betwen now and Christmas and then in Janurary 2006 abandon those names and just say that you're a born again clean affiliate.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread