A bad week (recruiters/headhunters)
    Sigh. This has been a very frustrating week for me.

I recently decided that it would make sense to consider "employment" instead of freelancing/consulting/dabbling as I've been doing for several years. So, during July, I dusted off and updated my resume, and went over to HotJobs, Monster, CraigsList, and a few other places.

This week, I was starting to feel pretty good because I was getting lots of serious-sounding inquiries about job prospects, mostly from recruiters ("headhunters") who claimed to be calling on behalf of specific clients, including some Big Players.

Alas, in each case, these "recruiters" knew very little about the jobs they claimed that their "clients" were seeking to fill, and ultimately I have come to the conclusion that there were no "clients" -- instead, the recruiters are hungry and so they are submitting my resume to companies who have not retained them at all.

In two cases, the recruiters provided a "job description" that included some very odd contradictions, in which they required specific education that was not related to the job. I actually did an hour-long phone interview with the client, who scheduled another phone interview for me to speak with someone else two days later, only to get a call the next day telling me that the position had been filled. Now, when I go back and look at the job description and "educational requirements," I realize what happened: the company had already chosen a candidate for the job, and they went through a "recruiting" campaign in order to "prove" that no one else was "qualified" for the job -- a process that was "fixed" because of the contradictions between the "job duties" and the "required education." (Oddly enough, the jobs were extremely similar, both involving "paid search," but each demanded quite different AND nearly-irrelevant educational backgrounds.)

A third recruiter claimed to be calling on behalf of a specific company, and tapped me for a LOT of information, but then never followed up; when I researched, I was unable to find the person or the company named, and when I called the HR department at the purported "client," I learned that they were not hiring and had never retained that person or company to do recruiting.

And even the "direct" inquiries are time-wasting. I actually went down for an "interview" in San Jose this week, only to discover on follow-up that the online service (which this company claims to have working for thousands of customers) does not actually work in any meaningful way, and so of course they need a really good marketing person on staff: it's really hard to sell something that doens't work.

Of course, mixed in with these queries have been a few very nice conversations with companies that want to hire someone, though usually they are looking for someone with less experience & skill than I have (e.g. they want to pay a lot less than I'll accept) or they want someone to do tasks that I don't find interesting or enjoyable (e.g. schmoozers or pure salespeople).

Naturally, I've also been bombarded with hundreds (maybe thousands) of MLM spams and other scam "job" opportunities, but those are usually pretty easy to weed out.

I'll admit -- this experience gives me a whole new perspective on "prospective clients" who call me (as a consultant) and claim to be interested in my services. I often find that these calls are really just fishing expeditions for free consulting advice -- but as annoying as they are, they are not nearly as time-wasting as the leeches who pervade the job-hunting space.

And all of this makes me realize how awful it must be to try to hire someone amid all this crap. There could be people out there desparate to hire someone just like me, but who are wasting 40-50 hours a week fighting the scam artists and resume-spammers.

Life sucks, and then . . . we find something else that makes like wonderful.

Internet Cowboy
    Recruiters and headhunters are right up there with used car dealers these days.

I used to get the ones wanting me to sell financial services or insurance or something like that. Job hunting can be a big pain.

ABW Ambassador
    Aside from the head-hunting "business" this is traditionally a horrendous time of year for job-seekers all across the board. Not only don't people make moves, in order to not lose potential holiday bonuses and paid holiday time, but often times employers are at year-end and waiting for January for new annual budget allotments.

It may be no help for professional or technical people, but the best job market for right now is with support or sales positions, temporary for the holiday sales rush.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-store.com
    Sigh. This has been a very frustrating week for me.

I recently decided that it would make sense to consider "employment" instead of freelancing/consulting/dabbling as I've been doing for several years. So, during July, I dusted off and updated my resume, and went over to HotJobs, Monster, CraigsList, and a few other places.

Life sucks, and then . . . we find something else that makes like wonderful.
    Good luck on your job search! Try calling people you know, let them know you're looking for a "real" job ... everyone knows someone looking for a good employee.

Don't give up hope but try to make AM still work for you at the same time. It'll still be there when you come home weary from another day in the trenches and may one day bring you enough not to have to battle all that muck out there.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's common among headhunters to use a bogus name.

Cool
    I hated running into a point during the interview where the person interviewing me was supposed to pass me on for a tech interview but suddenly wanted to talk money.

that was usually where the person originally holding the job had suddenly quit and then I found out how many hats I would be required to wear.

and it was just before the changeover to Y2K and the interviewer made sure I couldn't tour the plant to see what potential traps were waiting.

later on, I was really p'd off when I heard about the perfect job for me and was getting set up for the initial interview and when I called the agency back a few days later the recruiter had taken the job herself.

I guess that was a successful strategy. Become part of the agency staff and wait for the perfect job.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread