ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo surfers are more apt to buy?
    My conversion rates are going up. In the last few weeks, Yahoo has been loving my sites, sending me lots of traffic ever since google axed my index page. (though my deep pages still rank and a sister site is climbing slowly but surely...)

Is this a coincidence? Are yahoo surfers more apt to buy than Google surfers? They seem more apt to ask questions in forums, that's for certain.

Affiliate Manager
    Are yahoo surfers more apt to buy than Google surfers?
    This is something I been wondering myself for a while. It seems the majority of my buyers come from Yahoo while the window shoppers come from Google. It's kind of like Google being the online library while Yahoo being the shopping mall.

that is an interesting question...

Yahoo has always been more of an e-commerce driven portal, even since the early days. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if this type of distinction is actually used in some sort of marketing campaign by either SE

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    My conversion rates are going up. In the last few weeks, Yahoo has been loving my sites, sending me lots of traffic ever since google axed my index page. (though my deep pages still rank and a sister site is climbing slowly but surely...)

Is this a coincidence? Are yahoo surfers more apt to buy than Google surfers? They seem more apt to ask questions in forums, that's for certain.
    Is your conversion rate higher with Yahoo traffic, or are you just experiencing more Yahoo traffic (and, a similar conversion rate)?

Yahoo started a radical search change on July 20th that has had a major impact (up and down) on sites.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never bought into any of that. Where a person using one SE is more apt to buy than another. All the same to me.

Great question ... and hopefully a great debate will come of this!!!

I think end users are wising up and learning that if they enter walmart and the dot and the com, they will go to walmart.com, the SE's are seeing this also, that is why as the learning curve of end users increases the algos must be tweaked to bring forth the most relevant SERPs for the terms or the SE gets tainted by the bad results and they leave them to another SE. So long term, I don't think it's which SE brings buyers now that is important, I think it's who is building the better mouse trap (of the SE's) to get the SERPs! KWIM?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I see better conversions from yahoo traffic too.

If I want to find info about a product I use google. If I want to find a shopping website to buy something I use yahoo.

Google is more oriented on the information/content websites, and yahoo on the commercial websites (great offers).

Have wondered about this myself as my commissions didn't go down after losing most of my google rankings over a year ago. There is certainly more junk traffic from google as it is what most webmasters are using to check out the competition.

I think what Jane says applies to me as well. I know that MSN and Yahoo traffic has kept food on the table here, and now represents about 70% of my organiš traffic. I absolutely hate catering to G÷÷gle.

Fred

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread