Newsfeeds...How do I use 'em?
    Hi-

I'm trying to learn about newsfeeds. I am starting to build a site and I want to include some current news. Where's the best place to find relevant newsfeeds? Also is there someplace I can learn about putting them onto my site?

Thanks!

http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/aboutrss

check that out, then use feedburner, its the easiest way to do a news feed [imo]
    <br/>
    [URL=http://www.adsense-keyword-list.com]"High Payout" Adsense Keyword List [/URL] - 500+ Words, $12 - $100 Per Click.
    Free Random Samples Available: PM Me if Interested

use a newsfeed the same way you would put in a data feed. I'm new with all of this, but for my websites content, i only had to add a couple lines of Javascript and I was good to go. There are a lot of good feeds on this forum, try searching for "RSS feeds" or something.

Hope that helps!

cw

Doggie of the overly tepid variety,

What specifically is your purose with the feeds ... is it just filler? is it for products, is it to be search engine fodder (content)? ... we'll be better able to quickly and acurrately answer your q with the right impetus, but in the interim the link Xone gave is a good intro.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I just wanted to use some news feeds to provide visitors with up to date events / happenings....

try freshcontent.net - one line of javascript and your good to go..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

hi hotdog,

there´s a couple of good places to find relevant feeds for your site. Question is if your site is of "commercial" nature or not, as many of the big newsfeed providers don´t allow syndication of their feeds on commercial sites.

If you want to integrate rss feeds into your web pages in a search engine friendly, you should use a RSS parser like CaRP instead of java script.

Thanks! I've been diggin around and I've found out that if you use Java Script to bring in your RSS feeds then the spiders wont see it... so I have to use another language like PHP... is that correct?

You mentioned that there are places to find relevant feeds... where might that be? Do I just do a SE search for 'newsfeeds' or 'datafeeds'?

Thanks!

Some of the places include blog directories like Syndic8, Blogwise, feed24, newsisfree.com etc ... and of course, there are the big feed providers like Yahoo, CNN, BBC, NYTimes ...

As many feeds are not updated very often, it would be good to aggregate two or more feeds in order to get a higher update frequency and also to make the resulting feed displayed on your web pages more unique.

You can use the free version of CaRP cashing RSS parser for all that.

Thanks a ton!

Lockerknome offers free feed content, feed burner will track hits and parse feeds for you. Or you might like one of these free parsers.

http://www.rssgov.com/rssparsers.html

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread