Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Major Fraud at Best Buy
    Major Fraud at Best Buy - buyer beware

This is not affiliate related BUT, they do have a major SCAM going on!!

My son went to get a CD at Best Buy. When he was checking out they told him to take a FREE magazine. He said no, he didn't want one. They pushed and went on about how it is free, etc.. There were 2 choices, Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated. He took the Sports Illustrated.

Well, 3 weeks later they started send mags to the house and charged his debit card.

We called and they said he had subscribed. We said no we didn't. Too bad, you took the FREE magazine sample and now you have to pay for a subscription. And refused to take the charge off his card!!!

Trust me - I am going to pursue this.

This is total BS!!

Best Buy is full of it and they are running a scam!!
    Ebudae

Had the same thing happen to me at circuit city last Chrsitmas, but it was a tshirt and rolling stone mag, I wanted the T, they didn't have it, then I decided to pay cash, JIC
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet their online AM firms considers this good business practices. Watch the same CC & privacy info fill up your e-mail and regular mail boxes with offers from every one buying that particular sales data. Your IAB & DMA association at work hawking privacy info at the point of sale ...online and off.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thumbs down
    Its amazing how many 'free' offers people will shove at you once they get your CC#. Its usually opt-out in fine print. I was buying some business cards online recently & almost fell 4 a scheme like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    You can bet their online AM firms considers this good business practices.
    Why would they care? It's called channel conflict Mike. Offline world and marketing is much diff than online. AM's wouldn't give a damn and IAB doesn't figure in much less. The LS instorecard horsehockey smoke and mirrors shoot might have claimed to offer online coupons for offline sales ...... but that sale would never be credited to the right affiliate even if they tried ... too many hands and no real impetus to do the integration there ... didn't instorecard rename (to fall off the radar?).

Offline marketing dept will indeed pimp the mailing list via the DMA, that's for sure.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thumbs down
    That reminds me- I was at checking out @ bestbuy last week. 3 cashiers were open, and I had to wait in the one that had a line. Why?....it was the only one that accepted cash. Weird huh?
    http://householdwatch.com/wp/2005/02...-subscriptions
    Last edited by simcat; August 6th, 2005 at 12:51 AM.

It's a pain, but write your credit card company, explain why and they will take care of it. I've had other things like this and they have always (even different card companies) take it off my charges.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

didn't they run this same scam with AOL a while ago.

Call your bank tell them you didn't order the Magazine. Also send a letter to your State AG. Send an email to the Customer SErvice dept of Best Buy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    didn't they run this same scam with AOL a while ago.

Call your bank tell them you didn't order the Magazine. Also send a letter to your State AG. Send an email to the Customer SErvice dept of Best Buy as well.
    I will, thanks for the tips!

The only problem is that it wasn't a credit card - it was a debit card. So, not sure how the bank will handle it. I will make sure my son gets his money back though - even if I have to call Mr. Best Buy himself, lol.
    Ebudae

They will handle it the same was as a credit card. Tell them you were not notified of such charge and issue a charge back. They will investigate. Also notify SI about the charge and tell them you want the subscription canceled asap.

ABW Ambassador
    I stopped shopping at bestbuy in person.

A cashier called me stupid for not wanting to buy a warranty on a $100 radio. When he wouldn't stop - 10 times asking then he called me stupid - i said I didn't need this sh*t. Said it calm, but really I didn't need it. Turned to walk out and you would have thought I punched him, he jumped up and down and was screaming that you can never swear at an employee and that brought over some big trailer trash goon who looked like he was going to punch me - and i thought, here I was in a good mood, buying a radio for a beach party, only to end up being threatened like i was in a back alley. Who needs it.

I have never gone back since.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    i was applying for a BestBuy card, and they also required me to sign an application for a Household Bank card. So I complained, telling them that I'm not applying for the second one. But they said it was an either/or arrangement.

But I did receive two cards, one from Bestbuy and another from Household.

Then I discovered that Household baits you at 0%, then switches the rate to a VERY high one after three months. I closed the card. i felt like i was scammed by an offline version of a bundled parasite.

someone has to say it: www.bestbuy.com <- avoid the entire annoying salesman aspect

But yes, buying stuff from Best Buy is annoying

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    They will handle it the same was as a credit card. Tell them you were not notified of such charge and issue a charge back. They will investigate. Also notify SI about the charge and tell them you want the subscription canceled asap.

Thats correct. My bank has a debitreckon department that takes care of all such incidents involving debit cards. Though they may make you wait for 45 days in case visa is investigating the charges.
    They need to produce the chargeslip else the transaction is subject to reversal.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Haiko's starting to sound like Mike! :^)

There are two places that I ABSOLUTELY will not shop:

WAL-MART - for obvious reasons

BEST BUY - for many of the same reasons posted above

Well, actually there's a couple more, but they're local and I hate them because of their PUSHY sales people. Both are furniture stores, too. Never knew furniture sales was such a cut-throat business.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Well, actually there's a couple more, but they're local and I hate them because of their PUSHY sales people. Both are furniture stores, too. Never knew furniture sales was such a cut-throat business.
    Andy
    Looks like Andy got his futon at the swap-meet. I like to party with Andy, he has great carpet to sit on.... and if you get hungry just pick through the cut-pile for a crumb or two!

Just kidding Andy. Well I guess you must shop for furniture online? Or wait for a relative to pass on... Gotta love Grandmas old bed.

Have a great one!

Poopie

There's a thread somewhere in the TigerDirect forum (can't find it) where the ABEers expressed their dismay that TD was trying to pull the same thing.. so TD stopped it.

Kudos to TD.. and I wonder who their AM was at the time?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Give 'em a chargeback!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebudae
    I will, thanks for the tips!

The only problem is that it wasn't a credit card - it was a debit card. So, not sure how the bank will handle it. I will make sure my son gets his money back though - even if I have to call Mr. Best Buy himself, lol.
    Ebudae,

They WILL handle it like a credit card. I don't have credit cards, just my debit card. I'm speaking from experience - tell your son to go to his bank in person and contest the charge. The bank will do their little investigation and he will get his money back - plus they will get a well deserved charge back fee.

Just be careful, however. I did a chargeback on a company once and months, I mean MONTHS as in almost a year later, they charged my card again - not once but TWICE. I was livid. Went to my bank, charged them back again on both counts and, on the advice of my bank, closed the old account and opened a new one.

So apparently, with debit cards, as long as you have the same account, the possibility exists that they can charge you again.

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Hey, just noticed this is under Commission Junction. I thought Best Buy was at another network. In any case, since this is not an affiliate issue, prehaps a moderator should move it elsewhere.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Hey, just noticed this is under Commission Junction. I thought Best Buy was at another network. In any case, since this is not an affiliate issue, prehaps a moderator should move it elsewhere.
    It's fine with me if the thread is moved.

The reason I put it here was that Best Buy is listed with BeFree - now a part of CJ.

I just figured people should know what kind of company they are doing business with.
    Ebudae

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, pushy people at Best Buy. You buy a computer and then you are pressured to purchase half a dozen add-ons or extended warranties. Very unpleasant experience.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

When I had erroneous charges on my debit card, I simply called my bank (Bank of America) and they immediately posted the money back to my account. The operator told me that I would receive a form in the mail which I should fill out and return as soon as possible. However, instead I received a letter saying that the reversals would be honored and no further action was required. Case closed.

Had another instance with an online company that charged my husband's credit card. I called them and they refused to reverse the charges. We contacted the credit card company and they immediately reversed the charges. They cancelled the card and issued a new one with a new number. I will never do business with the company again.

It's been my experience that the credit card companies tend to side with the cardholder, not the company that charged the card.

You do have to wonder why companies continue with these habits. All they are doing is creating bad will with the person they inflict the charges on, who most times is going to complain and talk about it to friends and family. It's hard to believe that they are maintaining more goodwill than the bad will they create when the continue these practices.

Here's a site you might enjoy
    http://www.bestbuysux.org/

I'll have to agree, Best Buy is the sh!ts. I was in the market for a LCD monitor a while back and had asked an employee about a price (not listed) on a particular model. He was too busy BSing with another employee to check on it for me and said to take it to the cashier for a price. Wrong answer! BB lost a more than 500 dollar sale to Circuit City that day. I haven't been back to BB since. Customer service makes all the difference.

Hey Andy, what's your beef with Wal-Mart? It's not obvious to me..
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast