ABW Ambassador
    WestHost Anyone??
    Hi,
    I just signed up with westhost (I have not transferred my site yet). It was recommended to me. However after I signed up I went to their message board and found out that they had a major outage of a server for three days. This happened this past week. Now I don't know what to do. This is not a good sign. Does anyone host with them?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Server downtime for 3 hours is a deal breaker but 3 DAYS? I'd run like the wind, Infoseeker. Then again, I'm looking for a new hosting company, too, because mine, who has 100 % uptime over three years, has been charging me insane amounts of overage charges. Gotta be a happy medium.

I would love to know which is the best hosting company that affiliates have found and are using. Anyone care to comment?

I can only say what I know:

XO Communications overcharges and breaks promises. Would never recommend them, even though I used to. They promised me a refund of excessive charges if I stayed with them and then refused to honor that promise after I paid for another month. NOT GOOD.

Affordable Host is all but gone. Their tech support doesn't exist any more after being bought by a Canadian company. Also, had to run a PayPal complaint to get money back from them after canceling within the guaranteed time frame. NOT GOOD

Who do you all use and which hosting company do you love?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I use StartLogic for a couple of sites and haven't had any problems with them. The tech team has always answered all my questions and the 24/7 online live chat feature is great for those late night problems.

Some other people have talked down about StartLogic in previous threads, but I still like them

cw

Quote Originally Posted by C.Whyte
    I use StartLogic for a couple of sites and haven't had any problems with them. The tech team has always answered all my questions and the 24/7 online live chat feature is great for those late night problems.

Some other people have talked down about StartLogic in previous threads, but I still like them

cw
    Thank you for replying, C.Whyte. It would be hard for me to trust any hosting company that has been poo poo-ed in here, though. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

IMHO different hosts work for different users.

This thread might have the answers you are looking for
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=32491
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Thank you TJ! I forgot about that thread. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

After being referred to www.hostpac.net.au three years ago this month I haven't looked back. Although they are located in Australia they have a US global site which they service with servers in LA.

Uptime has been excellent and support superb. Next year I qualify for one years free hosting under their Loyalty program. Domains only USD4.99 when you host with them.

I cannot recommend them highly enough.

[posted this in the other thread too]

ABW Ambassador
    We're with westhost and they're down again. I need a reliable host that has reseller accounts, any suggestions?

Over at WHT forums HTTPme has a stack of positive reviews in the Reseller section. They may be higher in price than most but the support cannot be faulted.

www.httpme.com

Hope that helps you SamyT

Quote Originally Posted by EcashClan
    Over at WHT forums HTTPme has a stack of positive reviews in the Reseller section. They may be higher in price than most but the support cannot be faulted.

There was a problem thread about httpme in here just last week. Might want to look for it and review the issues.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I use westhost and my website had no outages at all. I do like westhost however if you plan on using dynamic datafeeds, they will shut down your account. That is what happen to me. I was using the amazon feed from c3scipts and they told me it was causing other sites to be instable due to the high volume of hits, and put a hold on my account until i removed it. SO once again any sites with less than 5000 pages should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    I use westhost and my website had no outages at all. I do like westhost however if you plan on using dynamic datafeeds, they will shut down your account. That is what happen to me. I was using the amazon feed from c3scipts and they told me it was causing other sites to be instable due to the high volume of hits, and put a hold on my account until i removed it. SO once again any sites with less than 5000 pages should be fine.

Sorry, if I have missed lead anyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,I used westhost in 2003-2004 and no problems at all.

Today................

I have signed up them 2 weeks ago and their servers go down EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!! (Funny that their website never goes down)

SO stay away from westhost, looking at this forum, they have had many problems in tha laste 4 years

I just bought a dedicated linux server from 1and1, hope things are better there.

They have a special , first 3 months for $1 per month (requires 24 month contract)

However if anyone is looking for a window dedicated server, I have used alentus for over 5 years, with not one single problem

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have used shared hosting from Ipowerweb, Startlogic, Dot5, and Hostgator and the most downtime for any of them was about a day. For Hostgator, the most downtime has been only a few hours.

3 days is bad news, even for a cheap shared host.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

a couple of names off the top of my head

bluehost.com (has program too)
    a2b2.com
    knownhost.com
    powervps.com

tried westhost, but they missed the deadline i needed the server by and they did not hassle me about the refund.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread