More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I believe in sandboxes
    Yes, I believe the sandbox does exist for new sites. I did all the right things with my new site and it still is getting no exposure after 7 months. Did get it all indexed (and ranking well) in Yahoo & MSN however.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm workin on month 4. Wanna build a castle? I'll bring the bucket and shovel.

The sandbox is a myth, as far as I can see, or at least must be highly variable depending on the site theme or keyword space.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    The sandbox is a myth
    Perhaps as a created entity yes. But the "sandbox" effect is certainly a reality.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The sandbox is a myth, as far as I can see, or at least must be highly variable depending on the site theme or keyword space.
    too many of us see something like that happening.

It must depend on the theme space the site is playing in I guess, I have a 3 week old site with page 1 and page 2 google results for key phrases. I worked my asterisk off the first week getting it spidered and linked though.
    Tim

You will not find very many people in the SEO business who do not believe in the Sandbox. The only new sites that I've seen that have not experienced it are those with domains that have been previously used, and those focused on non-competitive keywords.

Tim, don't be surprised if your site drops out of Google. One of the issues that is part of the Sandbox phenomenon is that sites frequently rank very well for a few weeks after getting indexed, and then drop into oblivion for six to eight months. It has caused a lot of agony for a lot of site owners that are trying to do things the right way.

There is a collection of theories posted here: Sandbox Theories
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I guess I've been lucky...
    Tim

I use the sandbox as a timing piece when one of my sites gets out of it I make a new site. Just a theory but you need to keep building backlinks to the site. I took all the links off a site that was out of the sandbox and I went right back into it. Link page replaced and I was back in a week. Just a thought no real evidence.

I think keeping up the link activity and the XML feeds and all that good stuff is part of why I don't spend much time making sandcastles. Even if your site isn't the typical site that would have an XML feed, just throwing up a page of "these are the documents that have been updated recently"...the G loves that stuff.
    Tim

It has caused a lot of agony for a lot of site owners that are trying to do things the right way.
    Exactly!

And just because many site owners don't post what they're going thru, doesn't mean that we're all happy with the Sandbox Phenomenon.

What gave, may take away at anytime.

One of the issues that is part of the Sandbox phenomenon is that sites frequently rank very well for a few weeks after getting indexed, and then drop into oblivion for six to eight months.
    This is exactly what happened to my site.

Very little competition for one of my keywords and the worst part is that I have to pay for Adwords just so people can find my site.

I was looking at DMOZ last night and editors are needed for the category this site needs to be in. Wonder if there is any correlation?

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    I was looking at DMOZ last night and editors are needed for the category this site needs to be in. Wonder if there is any correlation?
    So what if you volunteer to be the editor? Not advocating cheating here, but you have a relevant site, so maybe you'd be a qualified editor for that category. Just a thought. I honestly have no idea how much work is involved there.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Is anybody here a dmoz editor?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    So what if you volunteer to be the editor? Not advocating cheating here, but you have a relevant site, so maybe you'd be a qualified editor for that category. Just a thought. I honestly have no idea how much work is involved there.

-John.
    Is anyone here a dmoz editor? Can you give us some enlightenment as to what it takes, timewise (or otherwise)?

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

I have a new site (not even really done yet) that suddenly got some traffic from google yesterday. I do the same queries on google that led my visitors to me and nothing. I check googlerankings... nothing. Apparently, my site was there for a brief moment and now is back in limbo.

Sounds like a sandbox to me. I guess I believe now too.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Here's a link to DMOZ forums that might be of some help. http://resource-zone.com/

I guess I've been lucky...
    Believe it or not, I believe luck is a factor with Google. The only thing that I see with Google that is consistent is their inconsistency. I think they do that to keep us guessing. If they were consistent, it would be easier to figure out work-arounds
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    White Wolf - I was an editor for DMOZ several years ago, for over 3 years and really enjoyed it UNTIL NETSCAPE took it over. It no longer was a directory done by editors. Netscape started adding their rules for editing, before then editors had to agree upon the guidelines before they were put into effect. This certainly made for some pretty heated forum deβates but it worked. Then long term editors started leaving rapidly. To make a long story short, the reason it takes so long to get listed is because honestly there isn't that many editors willing to put up with the STRESS of it. I can handle STRESS but it got down right ridiculous so I left as well.

To sum it up:
    - very stressful
    - takes a ton of your time
    - be prepared to deal with more spam than you've ever seen before
    - you may add your site once but at any time another editor can delete it.

I'm not sure they allow sites with affiliate links now (they didn't before). I was an editor before starting in affiliate marketing.

Hope that helps!

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    You could be experiencing the freshbot listing you in the google databases and then the regular index then sandboxing you.....But make no doubt about the Google Sandboxing theory does actually exist.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread