Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    CouponBar
    Just saw them pop up in CJ. Don't know anything about them, another toolbar.

See http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_134314.htm

"Distribution

This is not a virus or a trojan. It is detected as a "potentially unwanted program." It is direct-marketing application that delivers coupon offers to end users. A Browser Helper Object (BHO) is installed in Internet Explorer that provides a new toolbar. This toolbar contains buttons listing links for coupon offers which the user may print or use online. The software communicates with coupon.com servers on each launch of Internet Explorer (to check for updates to toolbar buttons, download new coupon offers and links, etc.) No advertisement popup windows attributable to the CouponBar software were observed.

The uninstallation functionality is not complete. If uninstalled using the Add/Remove programs entry the registry entries linking the BHO to Internet Explorer are removed, and the DLL is deleted, but the other files (the OCX and others) remain. If uninstalled via the option in the toolbar "Coupon$" menu, the BHO registry entries are simply removed, but all files, including the DLL, remain. "

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Online and offline coupons with a BHO alert thrown in for making sure every merchant with a coupon gets the coupon.com cookie set. The other new coupon nasty BHO on the scene is www.pricebandit.com operated by WhenU. Basically incentive marketing is tied at the waist with BHO's of all flavors. They're all POS attack dogs forcing merchants to foot the bill for coupons and reβates right during the checkout process.

Dis piece of crapware doesn't like to be un-installed...

Manual Removal
    Follow these steps to remove CouponBar from your machine. Begin by backing up your registry and your system, and/or setting a Restore Point, to prevent trouble if you make a mistake.

Unregister DLLs:

Unregister these DLLs with Regsvr32, then reboot:

systemroot+\couponbar.dll

Clean Registry:
    Remove these registry items (if present) with RegEdit:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\toolbar\webbrowser\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\clsid\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\toolbar\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shell extensions\approved\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shell extensions\approved\{fb986a68-eae4-11d4-9bd1-0080c6f60b6a}

Remove Files:
    Remove these files (if present) with Windows Explorer:

systemroot+\couponbar.dll
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    Amazing...

Internet Cowboy
    Maybe we need to start a fund for those who are in such financial straits that they need to spread parasitic applications to make a few coins.
    Affiliates need to know that these applications are going to drain them of more money over the long run than they ever imagined making from distributing them.

I say we petition CJ to remove weatherbug and CouponBar.

Next thing you know they will have one of those BHO that steals credit card info.

I remember when a VALUECLICK rep told me that a lot of the reps tried to broker deals with companies like 180 because thats where the money is.

The ValueClick bad habbits have made their way to CJ.

Heh. Just logged into CJ and saw this under new advertisers. I think it would be well targeted to my audience, but installable software always makes me suspicious. Rather than googling, I just came here and sure enough, found out the truth.

Thanks, folks!

Sean

ABW Ambassador
    CJ allows that?

If your customer is worth at least 75 cents to them, imagine how much that customer is worth to you.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I heard they were renaming it complicit junction...

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    s.s.d.d.
    Hey whats that?

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliate4all
    Hey whats that?
    onceuponatime it referred to the older floppy disks, as in "single sided, double density."

but in the last 15 or so years it has evolved to mean "same sh't, different day."

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    single sided, double density
    Now there is a blast form the past.

Cool Ot:
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Now there is a blast form the past.
    I think I threw out an 8" one just the other day.

The coupons are for offline use.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Go to their site and read about them before you jjump to your usual conclusions.

Client list:
    http://solutions.coupons.com/solutio...ClientList.asp

Company Info:
    http://solutions.coupons.com/solutio...SubWelcome.asp
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Todd may have a point here... I don't see anything on the site that would appear to conflict with our own efforts, but then again, I haven't installed the toolbar. Seems like a strange combination to have an internet toolbar giving you coupons for B&M shopping, but maybe it works for them. Anyone want to install this puppy? I keep this crud off my machine...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    The coupons are for offline use.
    Well... not exactly

Per your link;

http://solutions.coupons.com/solutio...743117332&ix=2

Our goal has always been to help marketers maximize the reach of their coupon promotions. The desktop is a natural extension of our Digital FSI Hosted Platform, said Steven R. Boal, CEO, Coupons, Inc. Our new CouponBar is an attractive way for consumers to browse through offers, and it directs traffic to advertisers web sites.

Offers delivered by the Coupons, Inc. platform appear simultaneously in the CouponBar, on manufacturer Web sites, in email campaigns, and on coupon sites using Coupons, Inc.s hosting solutions. Total distribution is controlled across all outlets, and all offers are protected by Coupons, Inc.s anti-fraud security. Surveys and newsletter subscriptions can also be incorporated to capture data and generate leads using the companys Bricks Duet service.

What conclusion should we make here?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketguyz
    Todd may have a point here... I don't see anything on the site that would appear to conflict with our own efforts, but then again, I haven't installed the toolbar. Seems like a strange combination to have an internet toolbar giving you coupons for B&M shopping, but maybe it works for them. Anyone want to install this puppy? I keep this crud off my machine...
    I believe he has an agenda more than a point. When confronted with unfavorable information, even from the partner's site itself, the usual argument begins.... you guys aren't being objective enough... you're jumping to conclusions... as the tester, and as the compliance enforcer, it should be CJ that uncovers these things - but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT
    What conclusion should we make here?
    I'll try some conclusions that it seems we are expected to make (based on recent exchanges re: weatherbug packaging a nasty optional add-on called MySearch Toolbar):

that if we find questionable areas, Todd will stop posting... (or in the case of Ben Edelman's question that's still pending, he'll never post in the first place)

that we're expected to believe, not question, even though repeated history tells us a different story...

that we should jump on the Affiliates "jump to conclusions" while CJ "tests compliance" belief wagon...

that KevinT is a lunatic who's risking credibility by asking reasonable questions, while somehow Todd is a credible and accurate technical expert with his "i guess" and "i think" and "i believe" and "they said" approach to researching his chosen business partners...

I think these are the conclusions they aim for us to make.

Bet these coupons aren't just saving money...

they saving lives as well?

There is some good news here, if you're using Safari or FireFox, they support those platforms too.

http://www.coupons.com/solutions/mai...p?ix=2#adBrick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dynamic adBricks take the coupon-enabled banner ad one giant step forward. A rich media ad unit that streams coupon content to users through expanding ad units or even text links, the new service combines a rich media ad unit with the companys proven Digital FSI Microsite Network technology to present consumers with multiple offers from a single banner advertisement. Try a quick demo at http://adbricks.coupons.com

The product is a perfect fit for search media buys. Long-term placements on keywords can now contain coupon offers that you control, rotating offers in and out over the course of the campaign, without having to change the creative running on the site or through your third-party ad server.

All of the security and distribution control youve come to expect and appreciate from Coupons, Inc. is extended to the Dynamic adBricks platform. Were also working with rich media advertising providers to incorporate the Dynamic adBricks technology into their products to provide you with a completely turnkey solution for interactive promotions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

note: I added the bolding

http://solutions.coupons.com/solutio...BricksDuet.asp

"Our solution helps marketers generate leads to build in-house consumer databases for use in future marketing campaigns to acquire and keep high-value customers."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast