Unhappy New G Toolbar Update auto-enables autolinks
    Google forced an update to their toolbar that activates an autolink button by default. This button, allows Google to place their links on your web page to Amazon, etc.-- http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum80/1010.htm
    "How do I use AutoLink?
    The AutoLink feature adds links to the page you're viewing if it recognizes certain types of information on the page. For example, AutoLink will link a U.S. street address to a map of that address or the tracking number of a package to a status page for your package. AutoLink also recognizes car VIN numbers and book ISBN numbers...."

So the same software that REMOVES content ( i.e. popups) placed by the webmaster which would pay same webmaster commisions for sales....now INSERTS links that pay Google comissions ..(and not same webmaster)!!!
    1) This only affects surfers w/ toolbar installed (& 'feature' enabled) -FOR NOW
    2) There is some script that apperently protects your site from this S&*t. -FOR NOW
    I guess this is for those stubborn webmasters who havent yet added adsense to their pages..LOL

For a co. rolling in dough, G seems pretty desparate for money.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum80/1010.htm

I had to download the toolbar to check it how this works myself.

As a user I can see how this would enhance a users experience. (I use mapquest quite often and sure would save me a ton of typing.)

As a webmaster, it sucks. When the user chooses to use this feature, it adds blue hightlighting and active links to any address or ISBN number the autolink feature finds. The ISBN number is made into a direct link to Amazon. The user can right click for more options (Barnes and Noble, Booksense, Froogle, ect.)

When I went to Barnes and Noble, ran the autolink, the ISBN number was highlighted, but there was no active link. I read there was some javascript to block, wonder if this is what they are using or something else involved there? Went to Amazon and checked, that link was active and link to the page that I was on.

The link was active on eBay. Wonder how all those book sellers are going to like the fact that Google has enable users to have a direct link off of ebay to a competitor?

ABW Ambassador
    Excuse my lack of technical know how but i was checking stuff out. My toolbar updated on its own and i don't know if this is new but you can type office max into the address bar and it will go to officemax.com. I typed amazon into the address bar and up popped a notepad document i had named amazon. So how does that work exactly. How does Google know i have a notepad text document named amazon?

I don't know. I tried the same thing w/ the same result. It must be hooked up with Internet Explorer somehow. Try the same thing with firefox if you have it.(I got a totally different but still Very interesting result)!

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.google.com/support/toolba...wer=9267&hl=en

Browse By Name, don't know if that's new or has been around and i just never noticed it. I guess if i have a document named "whatever i type into the address bar" it pops my document up.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Do you have their Desktop Search too? That was supposed to make an index of everything on your own computer...

Getting a document when you intended on going to a site sounds like it would get to be an uber PITA.

As a webmaster, it sucks. When the user chooses to use this feature, it adds blue hightlighting and active links to any address or ISBN number the autolink feature finds. The ISBN number is made into a direct link to Amazon.
    It sucks more because of what could come next, than what it's doing now.

I don't know about you, but if I mention a book, the furthest thing from my mind is putting the ISBN number on the page. ISBNs are irrelevant in the eyes of most people (has anyone ever asked you, "Hey, have you read 00002359834?"). So I'd just name the book in the regular way--by title, and maybe mention the author's name.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    ISBNs are irrelevant ...
    They are in all amazon affil links no matter what the link title is.

Scary, scary stuff ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    "Do you have their Desktop Search too?"

Nope. Just never felt comfortable with it, plus i'm pretty organized so i know where everything is at.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It appears that the auto-link feature for books has been disabled by every book site I visted. The big sites are probably using a script - a small site I visited simply inserted spaces.

What I don't like is that the desktop search option installed itself. Unlike TrustNo1 I am not organized but I like it that way!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I may have to look into this further. I just checked another computer that has the new toolbar on it, and when I went to my book site and clicked on an Amazon link, nothing changed. My affiliate name was still showing in the URL when I arrived at Amazon. I don't have any scripts to deactivate AutoLink, either.

I wonder why this site isn't affected? It has the standard Amazon links.

Andy

and when I went to my book site and clicked on an Amazon link, nothing changed.
    The user has to click on the autolink button on the toolbar. Try that an see if it changes your link.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    They are in all amazon affil links no matter what the link title is.

Scary, scary stuff ...
    I just checked my Amazon book link (Yeah, I'm only promoting one lonely book!)...the link code has "ASIN / [number]" in it, but maybe the bar only reacts if the number is visible on the screen...

The user has to click on the autolink button on the toolbar. Try that an see if it changes your link.~Suzie250
    Even when I clicked autolink, it didn't meddle with the links either for that book or for the product links on another of my sites.

Maybe something has dissuaded G from plans to interfere with Amazon sales...
    "Do you have their Desktop Search too?"

Nope. Just never felt comfortable with it, plus i'm pretty organized so i know where everything is at.~TrustNo1
    I had it at one point, but uninstalled it because I wasn't comfortable with it either. I'm not all that organized, but I didn't like leaving so much opportunity for big brother to watch.
    But without it, or maybe a cut-down version of it, I don't know how the toolbar could know there was a document on your computer with the same name you'd typed into the address bar...maybe they "added some functionality" on you?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Even when I clicked autolink, it didn't meddle with the links either for that book or for the product links on another of my sites.
    I think you would have to have an ISBN number or an address with a your own link.

If the autolink is looking for any possible additional links on the page, that is one thing but if it is changing links that are already provided, that's a hole nother matter!

I don't have any links that are an address or ISBN number. Can someone else check to see if the link is being changed?

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    I think you would have to have an ISBN number or an address with a your own link.

I don't have any links that are an address or ISBN number. Can someone else check to see if the link is being changed?
    I looked at the AutoLink feature when it came out in the beta, and when it came out in final. I still don't see what all the fuss is about.

The user has to enable autolink on a per view basis. That is, he sees an ISBN on the screen (not in a link), doesn't think the current page has enough information, and wants to go to Amazon. He clicks AutoLink, and then clicks on the ISBN. There is no affiliate code in the destination URL (not to say that Amazon doesn't have an arrangement).

If the ISBN is already linked, **autolink doesn't work**. It will not change existing links. To go to Amazon you have to pull it down from the AutoLink toolbar.

As far as I see it, AutoLink changes the presentation of the page, which the client has every right to. If it were changing content (ie links that the webmaster had put there), then we'd have an issue. I see this as no different than popup or ad blockers, custom style sheets, or even Text->Speech converters.

I'd wager the number of sales lost by this is going to be small. As someone mentioned, there's little need for an ISBN on the page anyway. People trying to get to Amazon from a current sales page either aren't finding the information they want on the current page and think they can get it at Amazon, or they'd rather buy from Amazon anyway. All AutoLink does is enable them to find what they want because the current page isn't providing it.

Sean

ABW Ambassador
    Today, Amazon. Tomorrow, Froogle.

Does anyone have the javascript yet or know where we can get it?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread