Pricegrabber vs. GoldenCan
    I don't think anybody ever talks about the Pricegrabber affiliate program. I'm sure it works a lot like GoldenCan and I just want to see if anybody's got an opinion about the two. I'm not a member in Pricegrabber's program, but I do know that they offer part of the revenue you earn through your co-branded site. You just plug in your logo and some code and you've got a price comparison engine ready to go within your site. The design is very clean and I'm sure it converts well if you've got the traffic. My concern with GoldenCan is the lack of design as the resulting pages leave a bit to be desired in terms of professionality. They both have their pros and cons, so what's your experience with these two?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Probably put this in the wrong forum. Don't think you're a member of either right?

If I were new to both programs, which would I choose? I'm just trying to put this in the point of view of an affiliate. I haven't tried either, but I'm very curious about how both of them work and convert.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    This will probably be moved out of this forum. It's not the pricegrabber forum. You might try the midnight cafe and see if people have used pricegrabber and their experience with it. Have never tried it myself.

I chose this forum because GoldenCan is a great effort put forth by an affiliate to compete with Pricegrabber. I admire that and feel his product is worthy of comparison with larger similar entities.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't think anybody ever talks about the Pricegrabber affiliate program. "

You want to talk about the Pricegrabber affiliate program in the Golden forum?

"My concern with GoldenCan is the lack of design as the resulting pages leave a bit to be desired in terms of professionality."

Why are you concerned with a product you don't use and have no intention of using? This reminds me of your posts in the Webmerge forum.

I write similar programs, so anything that deals with datafeeds interests me quite a bit. I like what Asif has done here and think he's built something truely unique. It's true that the product can be improved aesthetically and I hope he can take my criticism constructively. I just found this Pricegrabber page and it described something that reminded me of GoldenCan. Pricegrabber is tough competition and I enjoy studying their model and techniques. GoldenCan and Webmerge are great competition as well and I just enjoy challenging their authors.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I don't think anybody ever talks about the Pricegrabber affiliate program. I'm sure it works a lot like GoldenCan and I just want to see if anybody's got an opinion about the two. I'm not a member in Pricegrabber's program, but I do know that they offer part of the revenue you earn through your co-branded site. You just plug in your logo and some code and you've got a price comparison engine ready to go within your site. The design is very clean and I'm sure it converts well if you've got the traffic. My concern with GoldenCan is the lack of design as the resulting pages leave a bit to be desired in terms of professionality. They both have their pros and cons, so what's your experience with these two?

- Scott
    Scott,

I think everybody talks bad about LS. I'm sure it works a lot like CJ too, so you think that I just want to see if anybody's got an opinion about the two, AGAIN?

I have not joined LS for the last two years, because of all the crap I read about LS around here, but at the same time, I also read that a lot of those that criticize LS, are making a lot of with LS, at the same time, I have been with CJ for many years and now, I am not making with CJ lately, so ...............

If I were new to both programs, which would I choose? I'm just trying to put this in the point of view of an affiliate. I haven't tried either, but I'm very curious about how both of them work and convert.
    While I don't know about the Pricegrabber, I am testing the GoldenCan.

So far I like what I see with the GoldenCan code and the way to make a lot of sites, but if the GoldenCan is or is not a good idea or if the GoldenCan tool is a good converting program or not, the only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself and see what happens.

Just remember this:

Sometimes it's better to go outside and look up at the sky for yourself, than always rely on the weatherman you see everyday on TV.

Sal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My concern with GoldenCan is the lack of design as the resulting pages leave a bit to be desired in terms of professionality.
    Amazingly, I agree.
    Anything that looks like it *belongs* on an EcomCity page needs mucho design help IMO.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    I put the Golden Can script (for the free programs) right into my design template for my site. I find that the "look" is the one thing I don't object to... There are customization options and you drop it into your own template.... so where is the problem?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The look I didn't like is the one Ecom's been showing off in multiple threads.

Products (with images) going down in a straight line rather than a multiple-column table, which looks amateurish, and text links looking like something from an eBay spammer. If I'd hacked out the design myself, that'd be one thing, but for 25% of links displayed, I'd want a much better design than that.

And, looking at GoldenCAN's own demo sites:

http://www.goldencan.com/demo/teststoremc.aspx Every time I see that one, I get a mental image of a domain-park search page. The products display so far down--below the fold at 800*600--that I can't even see that there are any displayed! A normal visitor probably wouldn't bother to scroll down, expecting it to be just more links down there.

http://www.goldencan.com/demo/teststore.aspx
    Looks like domain-park + other spam

http://www.goldencan.com/demo/Coupon...eMerchant.aspx
    That design is *exactly* like the ebay spammers were using last year (and may still be using).

The SEs won't actually penalize the GC pages as spam, since they can't even 'see' it.

But humans--the potential customers--would recognize how often they've seen similar layouts...and ended up on eBay when they clicked! They may not use the word "spam," but the general impression is that it's one of those pages that appears under terms it hadn't ought to and is going to land the person on eBay no matter what it says to the contrary.

If better designs than that can be done, they should be highlighted better (the huge list of other people's sites I see there is too daunting to go through them all...)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It's been my experience so far that if you ask Asif (GoldenCAN) founder for something, he makes it happen. Why not suggest another additional design layout(s) for him to work on incorporating into GC?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Give him specifics and I bet he'll crank it out.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm sure it works a lot like GoldenCan and I just want to see if anybody's got an opinion about the two.
    PriceGrabber and GoldenCan are 2 completely different things. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I put the Golden Can script (for the free programs) right into my design template for my site. I find that the "look" is the one thing I don't object to... There are customization options and you drop it into your own template.... so where is the problem?
    I agree with Loxly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Amazingly, I agree. Anything that looks like it *belongs* on an EcomCity page needs mucho design help IMO.
    Poor Mike and Charlie - always being dumped on by somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    It's been my experience so far that if you ask Asif (GoldenCAN) founder for something, he makes it happen. Why not suggest another additional design layout(s) for him to work on incorporating into GC?
    Right

Asif is amazing in in customer support department. Still would like to see the "powered by" link go bye-bye.

Have not tried the pricegrabber program, but making sales on traffic sites with GoldenCan. Perfect for sites that have the traffic already
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread