ABW Ambassador
    Which are the ethical networks
    I know shareasale is an ethical network that does not promote parasites or push downloadable BHOs with the potential to turn parasitic, that does make sure the merchant links track and can even help the merchant track phone orders.

Is SAS the only network in the world that is ethical?

Which are the other ethical networks an affiliate can actually trust?

A network we can join and know for sure that parasites wouldn't partner the network to steal our commissions.

How many do you need?

There's a couple from the UK that are circling around - they claim experience with detecting and routing out euro comission suck-ware.

All in all this is a touchy subject - read the recent CJ Weatherbug discussion and you'll see the range of opinions, facts, speculation, and hope (that the s/w company who was once bad is now going to behave).
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How many do you need?
    At least 3 would be good. Just because it's better to spread the eggs among several baskets.

There's a couple from the UK that are circling around - they claim experience with detecting and routing out euro comission suck-ware.
    Do UK merchants know how to pay a real commission yet? Last I looked, some were catching on, but a lot of them were still such cheapskate chiselers that it made the other issues moot. 3%, 2% and such.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    IS coolwebsearch.com one of your affiliates and traffic partners?? A legit ethical network would be one who had kicked the affiliate & PPCSE www.coolwebsearch.com to the curb ages ago for performing drive-by installs and hidden bundling of the NETorious BHO. If that had occurred then, they don't have to worry about the FBI calling on them to pull their stats and payment records over the ID theft Spyware planted in the CWS BHO.

Yahoo picked up of this mammoth ID theftware ring that the FBI shows as pings from Quebec to the Caribbean Islands to servers in Texas. Do a whois and follow the domains mentioned from servers to support domains on this top 5 BHO installed via browser hijacks and security holes.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20050808/tc_zd/157623

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/

Want to see a real CYA effort from this sheister group feinting they are appalled their hired gun installers would bundle trojans, keyword loggers, spamming zombies, dDos attack zombies to their piece of forced click commission thievery crapware.
    http://www.coolwebsearch.com/hijacking.html ...

http://www.webroot.com/resources/spy...o/threats.html
    CWS ranks #1 in hijack installs ...

"Name: CoolWebSearch (CWS)
    Description: CoolWebSearch may hijack any of the following: Web searches, home page, and other Internet Explorer settings. Recent variants of CoolWebSearch install using malicious HTML applications or security flaws, such as exploits in the HTML Help format and Microsoft Java Virtual machines."

This crap isn't going away till the legit networks refuse to allow any S/W download affiliate to receive and commissions. All commissions are earned from a domain page from a shoppers physical click.... period. http://www.webroot.com/resources/spywareinfo/index.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Do UK merchants know how to pay a real commission yet? Last I looked, some were catching on, but a lot of them were still such cheapskate chiselers that it made the other issues moot. 3%, 2% and such."

Because you're only looking at the ones with CJ, for Chr#st's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    "Do UK merchants know how to pay a real commission yet? Last I looked, some were catching on, but a lot of them were still such cheapskate chiselers that it made the other issues moot. 3%, 2% and such."

Because you're only looking at the ones with CJ, for Chr#st's sake.
    Where the F do you get off making a BLATANTLY WRONG statement like that?!?

I don't know where you got the desire to make such a lame jab from, but you can stick it right where the sun don't shine.

For the record, the ones I was referring to were on TradeDoubler. And the EXCEPTIONS--the ones who actually do know how to pay a real commission, NOT the cheapskates--are also at CJ. Once they have to compete in a mature market they quickly raise their commissions rather than throw away $5k trying to get people to sign up for 2% crap!

Geez, take it easy with the jump bat, will ya? That horsie is already high enough to just tiptoe over the obstacles.

Get a life.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hmmmmmmmmm ... guess this thread's dead. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    I know shareasale is an ethical network that does not promote parasites or push downloadable BHOs with the potential to turn parasitic, that does make sure the merchant links track and can even help the merchant track phone orders.

Is SAS the only network in the world that is ethical?

Which are the other ethical networks an affiliate can actually trust?

A network we can join and know for sure that parasites wouldn't partner the network to steal our commissions.
    Hoping we can get back on track with the original question, which I am still interested in hearing more about.

ABW Ambassador
    There are good and bad merchants with all the networks. It's awfully nice when there are policies, but I don't think we can trust networks to watch out for our interests 100% with every little detail. You have to look at the individual merchants themselves and the AM.

CJ & LS have plenty of merchants that are not parasite-free, and aside from that there's 800 numbers and LivePerson to watch for, which can happen with any merchant anyplace. But I've got merchants at both CJ & LS that convert regularly and some that I'll be disenrolling from at all of them.

Well we all get to put a shot over the bow of the networks ships. Every download and install ( at a 50% commission) of CounterSpy and all the network BHO darlings take it in the shorts. http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm

With Uncle Sam, Eliot Spitzer, major media coverage and the 2006 Congressional campaigners hitting the baby kissing voter trail ...the BHO infestation games are coming to an end. Bye Bye P2P hidden bundling and the likes of Belarco Groups SAHS or WhenU's Pricebandit.com flying under the smoke screens of the so called ethical networks. No amount of CYA is going to stop the p*ssed consumers fed up with the browser hijackers and their Spyware/Trojan bundles.

Every Counterspy scan spells doom for any BHO revenue scheme. This is Webmaster Mike & Charlies year to see action ...not promises... coming from the existing networks.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Network Rep
    " Is SAS the only network in the world that is ethical? "

Nope :-) I run a network in the UK that is on a par with any network in the world in terms of ethics and is constantly developing to fit the changing market to make sure our core ethics remain intact.

I often see ethics almost being replaced for whether or not you work with parasitic software but would hope that its taken as a given that this is bad and that being ethical is so much more than that.

A case in point might be if a merchant goes bust - what happens then and who carries the can? I have personally overseen nigh on a 100k paid out to buy.at network affiliates on 1 or 2 programs where the merchant has gone under. Is that ethical enough to be considered as a trusted 3rd party ? How many other networks would be able to make this claim with a straight face...

One day we will come to the US and when we do it would be my pleasure to give you a guided tour of our operations so you can meet us first hand and build your own judgment rather than take my word for it.

Thanks

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@perfiliate.com
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    The buy.at affiliate network
    www.buy.at

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Has anyone heard anything about Azoogle?

I'm curious to learn more about them as I've been hearing their name dropped more and more lately, but having a hard time digging much up that gives real indication as to how good/ethical they are, or not.

I've found some content indicating they're fantastic and some indicating otherwise so hard to make heads or tails of it. Any input on that?

How do Affiliates/Merchants feel about what AzoogleAds.com has to offer?

SAS may be an ethical network but they have a lot of unethical merchants.
    I have had to stop using them all together since 99% of my merchants are offline in a matter of days after I sign up.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    This thread is interesting. I've been checking the eβates merchants list (learned about it here at ABW). If a merchant is on eβates list - poof! they disappear from my site. I also check the destination pages for leaks (also learned here). Is there a better way?

Is there a thread on the parasites forum that lists known merchants who are infected? Would it be ethical for such a list to exist? A merchant might not be aware of the parasite, became aware, dump the parasite, but remained on the list. That would hurt an innocent (or newly educated) merchant. A list like that would be nice to have available, but someone would have to keep it up to date at all times.

The parasite problem is constantly evolving so that our detection methods must be constantly evolving to keep pace. It would be nice to have a cut and dried method to use, but if that type of method exists, I haven't found it yet.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Affiliate Network Rep
    Sorry if I find things over in the US a little confusing as I cant ever and I mean ever remember explaining parasites to a large brand advertiser and them arguing a case for them?

Once they know what is actually going on most hit the roof especially if you go a little higher up the food chain within the brand - make it into a compliance dept and you will literally see sparks fly and heads roll - well not literally :-) but you get my point.

If indeed a parasite is a parasite then by definition there is no good that can come of the relationship for anyone but the said parasite. So if your on the mark about the nature of the software your trying to convince a merchant of then there is only one outcome - the merchant acts to rid themselves of it.

Not to do so would be foolish as for the most part its costing them more to have it than not have it and no business worth its salt is going to continue down that line.

Education as always is the key and I can see that when I come over I am going to be having a lot of eye opening meetings to say the least.

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@perfiliate.com
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    The buy.at affiliate network
    www.buy.at

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    Has anyone heard anything about Azoogle?

I'm curious to learn more about them as I've been hearing their name dropped more and more lately, but having a hard time digging much up that gives real indication as to how good/ethical they are, or not.

I've found some content indicating they're fantastic and some indicating otherwise so hard to make heads or tails of it. Any input on that?

How do Affiliates/Merchants feel about what AzoogleAds.com has to offer?

Azoogle has good support but all the offers seem to be (to me) "spammy" and offers I find invading my inbox hundreds of times a day. They do pay on time though. I'd like to know if anyone else knows more about Azoogle, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty

Is there a thread on the parasites forum that lists known merchants who are infected? Would it be ethical for such a list to exist? A merchant might not be aware of the parasite, became aware, dump the parasite, but remained on the list. That would hurt an innocent (or newly educated) merchant. A list like that would be nice to have available, but someone would have to keep it up to date at all times.
    You may want to bookmark http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/merchant_list.html
    This is a great resource page for checking out merchants.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I noticed the other day I need to update that list. Some of the URLs for the Merchant lists have changed. And one or two no longer have software. But even that list is far from accurate because it relies on accurate information on web site. Also there are parasites out there which don't have such a Merchant list to link to. As such, I personally feel it is only somewhat of a guideline and has limited value.

Nice list Ms.B. I often run into CashbackBuddy.com drive-by and bundled installs. I see their eXact advertising owned and have a slew of merchants claiming to be parasite free... LOL. How come ABW isn't on their case?

Who is eXact Advertising
    eXact Advertising was formed in May 2002 by industry veterans from leading Internet media and communications companies, it has quickly become one of the dominant players in Contextual Marketing.

eXact Advertising connects users and advertisers through several different delivery methods that in aggregate, reach greater than 90% of all Internet users. Our areas of expertise include Contextual URL targeted and Banner Advertising, Search Engine Marketing, and Demographic Marketing.

eXact Advertising works with top tier advertisers and leading agencies to display relevant, contextual advertising messages and offers to consumers who have requested the service, based on real-time online behavior. Our roster of Contextual Advertising clients now tops more than 500 advertisers including over 100 Fortune 500 advertisers like AOL, Bank of America, Cingular Wireless, Citibank, MasterCard, Merck, SBC Communications and Verizon as well as every major advertising agency. Learn how eXact Advertising can deliver unparalleled results for you.

Other eXact Advertising properties include the BrainFox bidded search engine, eXact Search engine, eXact Search Bar, Mail.com, ExitCity, DealBandit, LuvBandit, and PhotoGizmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Is there a thread on the parasites forum that lists known merchants who are infected? Would it be ethical for such a list to exist? ...
    This thread might answer your question

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread