The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Angry Gocollect unsigned check problem
    I didn't know where to post this, since gocollect no long has a board here so I'll post it here. If it belongs somewhere else, please move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyway, on Saturday, I for an email from the people who pay the affiliates for gocollect. (I suppose they just issue the checks). They said they are sorry, but they sent a check without signing it. The said, they are sending a SASE for me to send back the check and then they will sign it and send it back to me.

My reaction was, hey its your mistake, why didn't you just void the checks (or not, not like anyone can use them, they are unsigned) and send another check. (presumably instead of the SASEs).

Am I wrong in the attitude that it wasn't my mistake and therefore, I shouldn't have to do anything to rectify this situation. And if I have to do anything, I should be compensated?

Mike

http and a telephoto
    Those unsigned checks are "live" checks and need to be returned in order to avoid them being "signed" and cashed inappropriately. Yeah, it's a hassle, but they are providing the SASE so all we are losing is a few days for the turnaround time. Still a much better system than in the past and better to get paid at all, unlike some other collectibles programs ....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yes, I know, that's why I said they should void them (i.e. stop payment). I know there will be a fee, but that's the cost of making a mistake. If they want to save a few dollars and avoid the bank fee, then they should pay us $5 for the inconvenience. It's cheaper than the bank fee.

I assure you, if I sent a check to my credit card company and forgot to sign it, somewhere in there I would be paying a fee, why shouldn't they have to pay the same fee to me for their incompetance. Maybe sometyhing costly will will necessitate procedures that will keep this from happening again.

Would you feel any different with this hypothetical (which isn't the case but could be). An affiliate is supporting himself hand to mouth by his affiliate checks. He uses the money to pay his rent, phone credit cards etc. This happens and now he is late on everything which cost him fees. That wouldn't be fair. If its your mistake, why should I have to wait substantially longer to be paid and why should I have to be inconvenienced without compensation to send the check back?

Mike

Cool
    got a check from one of my indies last year with no signature. they gave me the option of returning it or scrawling a signature (something unreadable) on it and cashing it.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Am I wrong in the attitude that it wasn't my mistake and therefore, I shouldn't have to do anything to rectify this situation.
    IMO, yes you are wrong in your attitude.

And if I have to do anything, I should be compensated?
    Sheesh. Let's see...compensation for the time it takes you to stuff a check in a SASE and put it out for your postman to pick up...I'd say you are owed about 25 cents.

I assure you, if I sent a check to my credit card company and forgot to sign it, somewhere in there I would be paying a fee, why shouldn't they have to pay the same fee to me for their incompetance.
    Don't know who you use for a credit card company, but I've sent in bills more than once over the years forgetting to sign the check. I've NEVER been charged. They've all mailed it back to me (at their expense I might add) for me to sign and resend.

One time I sent in a check to a supplier that I had printed out through my accounting software. I managed to get some decimal points off, signed it and mailed it without noticing. Big duh on my part for sure. Anyway, I sent them a signed check for well over $10k. An obvious honest mistake. Now they could have taken your attitude that I should have to pay for my mistake and cashed the check. They didn't do that. They actually called me to let me know what had happened and returned the check to me so I could personally destroy it (or frame it as a reminder to my own stupidity).

Anyone can make an honest mistake. It's your choice if you want to nail someone as much as you can anytime a mistake is made.

Firstly, by sending back the check I am saving them at least $15 to as much as $29 in stop payment fees, so why shouldn't I get something for going out of my way. Alkso they don't really have to void them. If any checks are signed, they will know immediately and who did it. So they can sue the checkwriter and won't lose anything.

When it comes to banks and checks and fees I am very careful. But banks are ruthless about it and so I see no reason for me not to be either. I remember when I moved my checking account and saving account to another bank. I paid in a cashier check so the funds was not put on hold. Anyway, for some reason that I forgot, A check came in for something I had to pay for so an identical check went out. Anyway, they bounced the out going check charged me a fee. I went down there and they said since it was a new account it takes 30 days to clear checks (Non-cashier checks anyway) But I had checked the original check had cleared long before the out going check requested payment. The woman there said well that is the rule, which I had never heard b/c I paid with a cashier check. I kept saying, but the check cleared, you knew it had cleared, why didn't you pay the other check? She said that is just the way it is. I kept muttering as I left the bank, but the check cleared, they had the money. Also, I had a saving account at the same bank that I had opened at the same time that covered the check anyway.

So when it comes to business and fees I want to be paid, because I know if the shoe was on the other foot, they would make me pay.

Mike

Something else occurred to me. What would happen if I said, "No, I refuse to send back the check. I can't cash this because it has no signature. Give me the money you owe me?"

Do you think I would get paid and if so how long would it take for me to get my money. The odds are, I won't get my money until I send back the check which means my money is being held hostage. Late payment for this reason is a breach of contact. I fulfilled my obligation by generating sales. They are supposed to pay me on time, if they don't shouldn't I have a recourse besides waiting?

Mike

http and a telephoto
    hummm... looks like it posted a piece before i finished....
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Something else occurred to me. What would happen if I said, "No, I refuse to send back the check. I can't cash this because it has no signature. Give me the money you owe me?"

Do you think I would get paid and if so how long would it take for me to get my money. The odds are, I won't get my money until I send back the check which means my money is being held hostage. Late payment for this reason is a breach of contact. I fulfilled my obligation by generating sales. They are supposed to pay me on time, if they don't shouldn't I have a recourse besides waiting?

Mike
    THEY MADE A MISTAKE... THEY TOLD US IMMEDIATELY... THEY TOLD US HOW TO RECTIFY IT....

Did you not have your cofffee yet? Take it up with Kolimbo, they issued the checks, not GoCollect.

They can't reverse the time machine and suck the checks back up. They don't owe you or me or a thousand other affiliates $5 or what ever because you want to punish them for being human.

If you want to talk about breach of contract for late payments... the current system ROCKS over the old system and at least GoCollect has cleaned up their act and is paying on time, and even early, every month, and has been for the last year. Which is better than the "other" big name collectibles merchant.

If you don't like them, drop them, I'll be glad to take your traffic.

I have another merchant this month that thought they were sending me bank transfers... and they didn't even have my bank info so I knew they couldn't have been... had to track down an aff manager on vacation in Europe and he Fed Ex'd me chcks that were a month overdue... and for a hell of a lot more than the GoCollect check that needed to be replaced.

This one is a no brainer. Merchant had a problem, merchant alerted us all, merchant solved the problem. You in a big hurry to get the check? If mine had been large enough, I would have requested a Fed ex return on the signed check.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Yes, I know, that's why I said they should void them (i.e. stop payment). I know there will be a fee, but that's the cost of making a mistake. If they want to save a few dollars and avoid the bank fee, then they should pay us $5 for the inconvenience. It's cheaper than the bank fee.
    Times, lets say, 1000 checks...... come checks are going to be for the minimum and thus the fee will be higher or equal to the check amount... unreasonable...

I assure you, if I sent a check to my credit card company and forgot to sign it, somewhere in there I would be paying a fee, why shouldn't they have to pay the same fee to me for their incompetance. Maybe sometyhing costly will will necessitate procedures that will keep this from happening again.
    I have sent checks that were unsigned, undated, had other mistakes and they were cashed anyway or returned not at my expense. Mike is in a punishing mood? You think this isn't costly to send out 1000 or more sase's and then resend the checks?
    Would you feel any different with this hypothetical (which isn't the case but could be). An affiliate is supporting himself hand to mouth by his affiliate checks. He uses the money to pay his rent, phone credit cards etc. This happens and now he is late on everything which cost him fees. That wouldn't be fair. If its your mistake, why should I have to wait substantially longer to be paid and why should I have to be inconvenienced without compensation to send the check back?
    Should take a few days to get that signed check Mike, not "substantially longer". If you have special circumstances, call Lauren and tell her to have Kolimbo reissue you a special check sent via Federal Express.

And just so you know, I don't have "another job" to pay the bills, I rely on my aff checks to pay them. So it isn't like this isn't affecting me, it just seems that you are going over the top on this one.
    Deborah Carney

The point is not that I need the money, the actual amount is negligible. The point is, they made a mistake that impacts me and they are asking me to do something I never agreed to and they won't compensate me for my time.

Besides I didn't want any more money, I wanted them to handle it right which was to inform me and then send a corrected check.

There is really no reason to void the unsigned check. Obviously if the check is signed by another, then that would be a freud. In the email they could have warned, if the unsigned check get's mysteriously signed, then the offending recipiant current commissions would be used to pay the new check. They would be immediately dropped from the program and they would be sued for the check and the court costs.

The point is, someone makes a mistake and offers a solution that doesn't mean I should just accept whatever they say. Here's a similar scenario, my car is parked. Someone hits my car, totally his fault. He says, take the car to his mechanic, they'll fix it for you. Do I have to accept his solution, no its his fault, I bring my car to my mechanic and he pays for it.

By the way, the mail must be slow since I haven't received either the check nor the SASE yet.

"Times, lets say, 1000 checks...... come checks are going to be for the minimum and thus the fee will be higher or equal to the check amount... unreasonable..."

Not my fault the bank charges such high fees. tell them to take it up with their bank.

"I have sent checks that were unsigned, undated, had other mistakes and they were cashed anyway or returned not at my expense. Mike is in a punishing mood? You think this isn't costly to send out 1000 or more sase's and then resend the checks? "

It's cheaper to just send out replacement checks than to send a SASE and then sign the old checks and send them out again. It's not my fault they don't trust us to rip up the old checks.

"Should take a few days to get that signed check Mike, not "substantially longer". If you have special circumstances, call Lauren and tell her to have Kolimbo reissue you a special check sent via Federal Express."

If I needed it that bad, which is actually irrelevent, then I would have to send it fed ex to them, which they must pay for and then they would have to send it fedex back which they would pay for which would cost them over $20. Wouldn't it have been cheper to void the check and send the new check they day they discovered the problem.

The point is, its their mistake u should rectify in a way to suit me, not a way of their own choosing. It cost them a few extra dollars (which in my opinion it shouldn't have, I told them to just issue me another check and I would tear up the original) then that is the cost of doing business and making mistakes. Maybe this would be a lesson tom nthem not to make similar mistakes.

Mike

http and a telephoto
    Mike, I'm out of this, you made your point.... I made mine....

At the end of the day, it is the merchant that makes the decision and they made the best one that worked for them. If you want to call them and make special arrangements, that is your choice. It seems that most of us don't have a problem with the way they are handling it.

Again, anybody wants to drop GoCollect over this ... I'll be glad to take your traffic.... Specially your animal related collectibles traffic Mike....
    Deborah Carney

The nice people at gocollect agreed with me and they are sending me a check now, without having to wait for them to send back the unsigned check first :-) KUDDOs for the gocollect people (and lauren) for doing the right thing. I told them, that when I received the unsigned check and the SASE, I'll send it back to them. No big deal, but at least I won't have to wait for the turn around time. Strangely enough, neither the original check nor the SASE has arrived at my apt yet. Must have gotten lost in the mail ;-)

Mike

some people are just greedy.

http and a telephoto
    My check and sase showed up and have already been sent back. No sweat here.
    Deborah Carney

Excuse me Hardware...but wanting to be paid on time for work you have honorably done is not being greedy.

Well maybe I used the wrong word. Unreasonable. Mistakes happen learn to deal with them reasonably. You act as if they were trying to stiff you.

Sir, why is it unreasonable for them to send a check the day after they realized they made a mistake? What was unreasonable was for them to hold my money until I send the old check back.

If you accept poor service then you are encouraging it. I simply asked to be paid ASAP, and they agreed. The question is why are you accepting incompetance (this word is too harsh, but I can't think of a better word). It's not like it cost them any real money for them to just reissue the check without receieving the old one.

Tell me why they didn't just handle it this way with an email such as below.

Dear Sir,

We made a mistake and forgot to sign your check. It will be arriving soon, when it does please tear it up. We are issuing you a new check today. Sorry for this inconvineince.

Sincerely
    etc etc etc.

I have no problem with Lauren at gocollect, she handled the matter quite well, she asked about my concerns and issued a new check in a reasonable matter. But why you accept incompetance I don't know.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread