Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need help with BBQ PLEASE~
    ok, I know some of you are hard core BBQ'ers. I am looking to purchase a Natural Gas BBQ set. I found one at Home Depot and was about to make the purchase but was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback.

I always thought that I would never use the side burners or rotisserie option. I am just worried that one day, I might want to and will regret buying a unit with out these options. So far, I have never used either and do not plan to cook outside on the side burner. I don't cook corn when I BBQ either. A friend of mine use it to fry pork chops so they don't have to clean up the greasy kitchen afterwards. Not sure if I wil do that though.

Any feedback would be great. Especially with the rotisseire option. How does shte food taste off that puppy? Is it easy to use? I am a novice.

TIA!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Charcoal rules all

Why get something you have to cle*n?! With low-tech charcoal, you just dump out the ashes from the last time and go...and a new piece of foil over the grilling screen/grid means you don't have to cle*n that darned thing either...

Plus the real smoke flavor is unbeatable, yum!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I agree-food tastes better off a charcoal grill. Or a charcoal or electric smoker.
    Theres nothing wrong w/outdoor gas grills either. Except a lot of people buy beautifull grills & use them only a few times a year.

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with leader. It is not BBQ with a propane/gas grill. You might as well just broil the food in your oven at that point.

Chet

I know better than to get into a gas vs. charcoal battle with die-hard charcoal bbqers and I agree on the superior taste of real charcoal, but we BBQ all the time, practically every night in the summer, and many times all winter long. I shovel a path in the snow.

The bottom line is that I just wouldn't do that if I had to fire up a charcoal grill. No way.

I do disagree on the "might as well broil in the oven" comment though as FUD from the charcoal side. . It may not be AS good on gas, but food comes out VERY good. If it didn't, I'd buy a charcoal grill for "special" days but I just haven't found the need. And if I produced that much smoke in the kitchen, we'd have the fire dept over for dinner nightly.

I do think the food tastes great. The Weber, and maybe others, has "flavor bars" above the burners. They're ceramic-over-metal bars that catches the drippings from the food and when that burns, you get a similar smokey charcoal effect.

As far as cleaning goes, I pre-heat the thing on high for 10 minutes each night before use while getting stuff ready which burns off all residue and a quick scrape has it clean. If I know I'm not going to be grilling for a few days, I'll crank up the heat at the end and give it a quick scrape (there's usually nothing left) after dinner. Very little cleaning, honestly, and I make some very sloppy/sticky marinades.

I would recommend a good one that will last. I have a Weber Genesis Silver B, I think, with three burners (definitely get 3 over 2). It's been going strong for 5 years now.

I've owned grills in the past with the side burners and the rotisserie options. Never used them. Unless you're getting some super-duper one, the side burners barely have enough juice to boil water. Do that on the range. Sure, you could fry on it, but why? Everything goes on the grill.

Someone might have better feedback on the rotisserie.

Smokers are a different game entirely, and I'm over my head on that one.

Again, I really don't want to fuel a holy-war. I've got some hard-core charcoal friends and won't get into that battle. Charcoal has it's place for sure, just not on my deck for now.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    I shovel a path in the snow.
    I thought I was the only one that did that. I recommend the charcoal, too. Taste is much better. Also, look for a set of tools that have long handles. My flipper even has a bottle opener on it - really handy.

After a while you learn to adjust cooking techniques to the elements. We got hooked on the rotisserie for cooking chicken. Just cram a whole chicken on the skewer and let it go. It cooks more evenly than an oven, tastes great and is a lot less work.
    ~Ernie

Exclamation
    >>>As far as cleaning goes, I pre-heat the thing on high for 10 minutes each night before use while getting stuff ready which burns off all residue and a quick scrape has it clean. If I know I'm not going to be grilling for a few days, I'll crank up the heat at the end and give it a quick scrape (there's usually nothing left) after dinner.<<<

don't have to scrape! dip a brass cleaning brush in water and hit the hot parts. the water turning to steam knocks a lot of junk off.

any one who asks the question about gas vs charcoal.... risks starting a "holy war"

it's not BBQ'ed if you didn't burn it with wood or for the city dweller charcoals.... leave gas grills for women and children... unless you want to pertend to be a BBQ'er....

For the ultimate in in BBQ'n pleasure get a smoker... you'll never go back!!

at my house the smoker is the "alter" where we worship!

FYI>>I once wrapped my smoker in a wool blankets because it was -20 and snowing outside and the darn thing wasnt getting hot enough to cook my dinner.... I needed my fixx

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Propane for me, thanks. For flavor, I love experimenting with different wood chips - mesquite, hickory, etc. Clean up is quick and easy, a minute or two, tops.

As for the side burner - yes, yes, yes. I just picked up a Weber grill with a side burner and wonder how I ever lived without it. As for the rotisserie ... I don't have one, but most brand name grills have that as an add-on option.

We are die hard smokers too. Circuit city sells a thermometer that you can check the temperature of the smoker from in the house...great for the cold weather.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Affiliate Manager
    I have never used that rotisserie thing it just gets in the way. I think you can pass on it...nothing beats a beer can chicken anyway.

The side burner is great for beans, kraut etc.

I'm not going to get into the gas versus charcoal argument. They both have their advantages and either can produce great results if done right. The taste may be a little better with charcoal, but the convenience of gas is unbeatable.

I have a 48" built-in natural gas grill with no side burner.

When we picked it out, we had the choice of 48" of grill or 36" of grill with a side burner. I wanted the maximum space, so it was a simple choice. I've never missed the side burner and am not sure I would use it even if I had one. Either model came with the rotisserie. I've never used it, but it doesn't take any space away. I do use the rotisserie heaters, though. By turning those on plus all four burners, I can get the grill up to 600-650 to really sear a steak good.

Definitely go for a stainless steel model. I've had the cheaper ones in the past, and they just don't last. Also, make sure you have plenty of room on both sides for plates, spatulas, etc.

The one problem I had was finding a good grill scraper. The bristles fall out after a few good uses, even with the more expensive ones. I found the perfect solution. I found a local welding supply shop that had industrial brushes that were intended for scraping tanks. They were just $2 each, and they typically last me a year (probably 50-100 cleanings).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,
    What time should we be over?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Avoid the "bar-b-que holy war", eat out.

We bbq all the time. We have several different ways of doing it and they are all good. I'm a diehard woodfire cook, but I use propane & charcoal also. The method I use depends on how much of a hurry I'm in, how many people will be at the bar-b-que, and who is doing the cooking. I have my favorite, but everyone has their favorite way to BBQ, it's really personal choice.

You can improve the flavor of propane cooked food by using liquid smoke. The liquid smoke goes a long way toward covering up the propane taste.

Another thought, have you ever cooked on a chiminea? Makes delicious food!

Oh, as for the rotisserie, I'd say include it, it's better to have it and not want it than to want it and not have it.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    We are die hard smokers too. Circuit city sells a thermometer that you can check the temperature of the smoker from in the house...great for the cold weather.
    I didnt know that.... I need something like that.... when I get it, I'll put the remote next to my computer.... so I can monitor my progress while I work...

in a couple of years I'll be movin to the country... when I do I'm going to build a smoke house...

MIcheal is just braggin... cuz he has that hugh grill already loaded with good eats...

but that's ok... what time did you say dinner was???

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Nice setup, Michael. Is that a grill or your meat locker?

>> bar-b-que holy war

I'll save us all the trouble...

"tastes better"
    "more convenient"
    "tastes better"
    "more convenient"
    "TASTES BETTER"
    "MORE CONVENIENT"
    "What are you, a girl? You wuss."

ABW Ambassador
    Charcoal will always be better as far as taste, but i have a gas grill and it works just fine. Sometimes i just want to throw some hot dogs or burgers up and it's quick and easy. As far as cleaning, every now and then i just throw the grates in the oven and hit the self clean button, also good for turning pizza to ash.

Affiliate Manager
    I am a charcoal man myself but that is only because I haven't found a gas grill worth purchasing yet. If I ever buy a house I will probably have a custom grilling station built in somewhere but for now I just have a simple Weber kettle charcoal grill.

Now if I were to have a gas grill I would have no problem firing it up for some burgers, dogs, sausages, or even some sirloins but I would probably still take the time to light up the charcoal for a REAL steak like a 28 oz porterhouse or a nice big ribeye. When you have a good piece of meat like that it is worth taking the time to do it right. Convienience goes out the window.

Get both!

We have both a charcoal and a propane grill so that when it's just too hot to cook inside I just have to fire up the propane, but when my husband feels like it, he can do his cooking on the charcoal grill.

ABW Ambassador
    What you all are discussing is "Grilling". BBQ involves a pit and hickory coals/fire.

Wow, thanks for all the fantastic feedback you guys & gals! I knew you would come through!

So, sounds like I will go and do more research on our "grill" . Don't get me wrong, the last time I "BBQ'ed" using charcoal, chicken wings never tasted better! But for my setup now, it will be natural gas.

Thanks again for all your feedback, I will defiintely keep them in mind when I do more reading!

Cheers!!!

A friend of mine has a natural gas grill and it works just fine. You have less of a gas taste with natural gas. Unless you're cooking a five course meal, you don't need the side grill.

I'm a wood charcoal man myself. No Kingsford here.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

You guys just missed dinner. I cooked a couple huge, tasty ribeyes on the grill. They were just USDA Choice, but they were marbled as well as any USDA Prime cut that I've ever seen. 10 minutes on the grill and they were perfectly melt-in-your-mouth medium rare!

I've been looking for a good source for USDA Prime steaks (preferably dry aged) that doesn't run $20-$25/pound. I found a local meat market that will get me about a 30 pound USDA Prime short loin for a little less than $13/pound. That's the section that the sirloin, tenderloin, and NY strips come from. After the losses from trimming, that'll be $15-$20/pound.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like the side burner for hot summer evenings cooking corn when you don't want to heat the house.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    My Gas BBQ is a Freestanding Barbeque Grill, and cooks the food really well, and adds the nice charcoal taste to the food too.... no side burners

Now if my kitchen was bigger I'd go for something like this
    Dacor Epicure 52" jobby, which is very niiiiiice

Then again I need to get the new TV first

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast