Affiliate Network Rep
    What affiliate programs would I like?
    Hi guys and girls

I think by now a fair few ABW's will have seen that I and the affiliate network I represent have half an eye on coming to the US at some point in the future and taking a shot at the big boys.

I was there at the birth of our network in the UK and as some of you will have heard on Haiko's radio show the other day the buy.at affiliate network predominantly deals with running affiliate programs for big brands.

If we came over the pond to see you guys in the US I would like to keep the same line and be dealing with the big US programs.

Someone already mentioned a couple of names to me like Overstock and Sierra Trading Post but I wondered if you would be so kind as to let me know which other companies I would like , with my focus on big programs in mind?

I am sure this thread will serve to put the cat among the pidgeons a little bit but I have never been shy of doing that and if it gets other networks listening in and acting positively to sort their own houses out before I arrive then thats a good thing for the industry anyway which those who listened to the show will be able to tell I am all for.

You guys have much more of a voice than you might think and this kind of thread is a good way to use it as from what we all know most networks base decisions on money and if big brands start to move around then watch how fast your arena smartens itself up - I have seen this first hand in the UK.

The more big brands you list here for me the more seriously this thread will be taken as a show of your discontent.

Anyone want to lead off with a starter for ten on my big program wishlist?

Thanks in advance

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@perfiliate.com
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    The buy.at affiliate network
    www.buy.at
    Last edited by perfiliate; August 10th, 2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar

ABW Ambassador
    A good way to kick off a network would be to snag someone like a Newegg who said they were thinking of starting an affilite program. Are you looking for big brands that already are at another network and/or big brands that don't have a program but would be nice if they did?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi Trust

Thanks for posting.

We are particularly successful with big brands that already have affiliate programs. We tend to come on board as the second network and quickly move into being the merchants most loved network - normally because on top of the service the merchant gets we also end up doing the most sales. In the UK this year we predicted consolidation and we have had our wish with huge brands like T-mobile deciding to drop their origional network once we have shown them how we operate.

With the help of the affiliates in the US I hope to see a similar strategy working so yes merchants with exisiting programs would become targets for sure.

Any that dont already have programs would be great aswell but as your market is more mature than ours I would have thought big brands were slim on the ground who dont already have affiliate programs?

Any direction you can give me is much appreciated.

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

Affiliate Network Rep
    Essentially what I am looking for here is a long list of Big name programs. When we do finally come over Ill go and speak to them all and hopefully by then we might even have a few people speaking to them on our behalf.

Thanks

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

Affiliate Network Rep
    We do have some Global brands we deal with already like T-mobile and Citibank , also Hertz and Play.com but we only deal with the UK parts at the moment.

What I am interested in is knowing the names which a UK resident wouldnt really know but which mean as much to an American in terms of brand presence as Marks and Spencer or BT means to us in the UK.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by asking

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think you're offending anybody, i think competition is good for the major networks. I'm not sure how many big brands actually want to be on a clean network and it would be hard to get them to switch. Linkshare has a lot of major brands but those merchants got themselves into exclusive contracts. So they might be hesitant to switch to a new network. You might want to try to snag some big names who don't have a network yet and then other merchants who are on a network might take a look. Imagine starting a network with some big brands like Newegg, Crate And Barrel, Bed Bath And Beyond, Victoria's Secret, merchants who don't have a program. Get some merchants like that and you would be off to a good start. Save Overstock.com from LS
    Last edited by Trust; August 11th, 2005 at 04:22 PM.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi

Thanks Trust thats a great help.

Just for the record I wouldnt want to get any merchants to switch. I find it much more useful to have them open up an extra program through us as then we can compete in running with their existing network. Much better from a PR point of view to be the smaller second network and end up with the whole program overtime based on performance.

I would never launch without a few brands on board anyway and ill get them Im sure of that but I wholeheartedly agree having a few no one else has would be very good also.

Exclusives are for people with something that needs protecting usually as its not very good in my experience and they always have an end date so best not to hide behind them in reality as you mark yourself as being weak and the weaker you look the more likely it is that you will get separated from the herd.

I can go check CJ myself but names are names and its checking blind - much easier for a few poeple on here to say oh such and such is a big brand in the US.

Bear in mind in the UK we run many programs that are on competitor networks including the CJ - for instance Capital One works with both buy.at and CJ in the uk as does Marks and Spencer - some recent consolidations would include large British companies like Onetel and Freedom Finance who used to have a program with a large network with US roots and then opened up an extra one with buy.at ...... they dont use their origional network anymore .

I am sure there will be nuances in the US that mean this scenario might not be so easy to achieve but from what I have read on ABW and been told in person by some of the long standing members there is a pretty good chance I can do it all over again in the company of some very likeable affiliates who have had to take horse hockey from the big boys for far too long.

I am getting goosebumps just thinking about the challenge.

Are you going to Miami Trust? to Andy's event

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

lurk
    Where in the US will your office be located and when do you plan on moving over?
    Jason

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi Jason

Thanks for the interest .

I would have loved them to be in Vegas :-) but I can see ill have no chance of getting that one by the board .

New York would be nice but in reality planning isnt at that stage and ill get a clip round the ear for stirring things up as it is. As although I would come tomorrow I have a committment to the UK and our business needs me there still for the next few months.

Due to the time zones and the fact I am turning into a workoholic I can still come and play on ABW and chat to the US guys in my free time.

Its almost an exact replica of how we started in the UK as we found the A4u forum which is like the smaller UK cousin of ABW and got talking to affiliates and finding out what we needed to provide months in advance of starting the network proper.

Ill be over for a few events though so if your ever at one it would be great to chat to you in person. We are a relationship network and our affiliates are our friends - might sound a bit corny but when you look out for each other for a few years you cant help but see people in that light . If we need help they are there for us and vice versa and I really hope we can have a similar experience in the US.

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

ABW Ambassador
    For the top brands, i think Internet Retailer might have something you're looking for:

http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=15099

The have the top 400 online merchants you can order. That would be something i would work off of. I thought i had that list somewhere, i'm trying to find it on my computer. I remember going thru it and wanting to have all those merchants with an affiliate program on my site. I think i just had the merchant names, the top 400 list you can order should go a little more deeply into them.

Here's a list of the top 50 Retailing sites:

http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=13496
    Last edited by Trust; August 11th, 2005 at 06:55 PM.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Nice one Trust .

Really appreciate the help - Ill level with you I wasnt sure what kind of reception I would get at ABW but its guys like yourself , Zeus , Kellie and Haiko that are giving me a real strength of purpose.

Ill work my way through those lists - could be some of our very first merchants there :-)

Mal

Malcolm Cowley
    +44(0)191 241 6500
    www.buy.at

ABW Ambassador

Hi, perfiliate,

As far as an office location, you may wish to consider the Dallas, Texas metroplex.

Dallas has a central location, a strong financial community, a strong diversified economy, mild winters and is growing fast.

As far as affiliates, I would suggest getting to know the guys and gals at NewEgg and developing a long-term relationship with them. NewEgg has strongly loyal customers.

Also, avoid parasites like you would avoid the bubonic plague. This is why affiliate webmasters of Share-A-Sale are so loyal.

Best,
    RadarCat

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Personally, I'd like to see someone get ahold of jcwhitney.com 's affiliate program and straighten it up. I think, however, it has more to do with the executives at JCW, and the emphasis - or lack of it - that they attach to the program. Still, there's one program with a huge potential that I think could be quite successful, if someone stepped in and said, "Look, it's time to take this up a notch."
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi

Thanks guys -

Radar we are on of the most on top of the spyware issue networks you have ever known - in the UK we have advised other networks of best practise in this area and are currently driving the stamp out of what I call adwords spyware. Rich Danby and Ben have been an enormous help to us and you have no worries on that issue.

That kind of stuff does no one any good and once merchants are educated properly they soon realise that dropping it makes much more business sense.

In terms of Newegg Rana never sent me an email for further discussion outside of the thread so I can only think that my words fell on deaf ears on that score - i am sure you will see them on a more well known US network at some point. I can but try ..... Rome wasnt built in a day and we have not even arrived in the US yet so I cant complain that we would be overlooked on that one.

Elbowcreek - I have heard of those guys before and we have extensive experience in running big brands in the UK so would love to work with a company like that. We also love a challenge and so re working an existing program to suit todays affiliate layout would be an exciting project.

Ill certainly add them to the list.

Thanks again guys

Mal
    Last edited by perfiliate; August 19th, 2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: grammar
    Malcolm Cowley
    Advertising.com's buy.at affiliate network
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Hey, if you are going to open a new office, check out Indianapolis, Indiana. Centrally located, they bend over backwards to bring in new businesses, and you could recruit from IUPUI, which includes both Indiana University and Perdue University..........
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Personally, I'd like to see someone get ahold of jcwhitney.com 's affiliate program and straighten it up. I think, however, it has more to do with the executives at JCW, and the emphasis - or lack of it - that they attach to the program. Still, there's one program with a huge potential that I think could be quite successful, if someone stepped in and said, "Look, it's time to take this up a notch."
    I second that. Such a great potential but it is sitting there wasting away!

Internet Cowboy
    And a good online hobby shop. TowerHobbies.com would be an awesome program. They have no affiliate program. There is SOOO much potential here because the online hobby stores that do have an aff program are pitiful and terribly mismanaged.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thanks for the advice I will certainly check out the locations people have mentioned.

New York just holds a certain romance to us Brits I guess and I am kind of sweet on that location but you never know - maybe we will have a few offices around America - I suppose that will depend on how much support we get from US affiliates - from the responses here on ABW its going to be a real honour being able to make a difference to some affiliates working days with our style of partnership building.

Thanks for the suggestion unclescooter i will add that to the list - by the way unclescooter as a nick - any story behind that?

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    Advertising.com's buy.at affiliate network
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by perfiliate
    Thanks for the suggestion unclescooter i will add that to the list - by the way unclescooter as a nick - any story behind that?

Mal
    When my brother's kids were small, they couldn't say uncle Scott, but amazingly enough they could say uncle scooter, so uncle scooter was born.
    I wish there was a much more interesting story behind it, but there isn't. Maybe I will make one up. I was asked that question in Miami at ARC seminar #1 and bored them with my explanation. I will come up with a good story behind it that stems from my days as an astronaut or something fun like that

>>>Essentially what I am looking for here is a long list of Big name programs<<<

there is a really long list at e b a t e s dot com if you just want a list to throw darts at.

ABW Ambassador
    Let's go Malcolm. I want to have some links up this time next year. Now would have been a perfect time to launch.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread