The Future of Advertising is Here
    There is an article on inc.com titled "The Future of Advertising is Here": http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050801...vertising.html

Its full of (what I call) unethical tactics. And the sad thing is that they are raving about it. There are 'honorable' mentions to the likes of Claria.

Its also being discussed on slashdot: http://slashdot.org/articles/05/08/1....shtml?tid=187
    A few interesting comments there. Seems some ABWers might be writing those comments.

cheers!
    -nishith

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nish
    There is an article on inc.com titled "The Future of Advertising is Here": http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050801...vertising.html

Its full of (what I call) unethical tactics. And the sad thing is that they are raving about it. There are 'honorable' mentions to the likes of Claria.

Its also being discussed on slashdot: http://slashdot.org/articles/05/08/1....shtml?tid=187
    A few interesting comments there. Seems some ABWers might be writing those comments.

cheers!
    -nishith
    Sad state of affairs BUT ... consider the possibilities for us ... sorry to all merchants out there for what I'm about to say but it could work both ways for honest merchants. ;-)

WE have the sites, WE have the traffic ... let the parasites have their field day with their nasties and the network links. WE can get into the advertising game instead of affiliate marketing. OK, that's one of MY little "secrets ..." ;-)

Comments? Questions? Anyone is welcome to PM me for more details.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I think the more you shove advertising at people, the better they'll get at ignoring it, and the less effective the ads will be. Some of the more invasive formats raise the level of irritation to new heights. I get extremely annoyed at the flash ads that cover what I'm trying to see, unless they are of very short duration. They must load very quickly and be done with it, then go away so I can get back to what I arrived at that page for in the first place.

I hate to quote Mike, but the people behind some of this really do seem like Ad Whores...

Andy

Creating top of mind awareness is the true goal of advertising. Who doesn't know Coke, Tide, Wal-mart, Sears around the world. Top of mind awareness and consumer trust in your company equals big bucks. If you have ads on your site or use an ad to advertise your site, you are trying to create top of mind awareness to get the consumer's attention at just the right time.

Rexanne you are right to get your share of the ad bucks, I'm getting mine.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Excellent - thank you folks. Where you make money off of the ads, my ad-less sites will continue to get more and more popular ^_^

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Charlie has a new invention that will revolutionize the Advertising industry. It's more effective then anything on the drawing boards discussed in that article. For just $49.95 you too can own the Adwhore Enema kit. It's a vasaline coated Funnel shaped tube you insert up your butt (one size fits all) with GPS locator that advertisers can rent to push localized Ads so far up your rectum they cause your eyes to blink Brand Messages available for purchase within 1000 feet of your location. Youget reβates equal to the low purchase price the moment you activate your Reward Points Debit card. (good at over 30,000,000 merchant locations worldwide. It's almost FREE and works whereever you go!

Look for an e-mail or promo flyer in your mailbox soon. Charlie@OptinRealBig.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hey Guys ... "advertising" on our sites does not have to be flashing or
    animated banner bullshit ... incorporate paying ads into your site for GOOD
    merchants that fit your pistol and target audience. Affiliate marketing is
    shoving product and/or services down visitors throats just the same. Only
    difference here is we get paid upfront, the merchant gets our traffic and
    everybody wins, except parasitic .

I would post more about how I see this evolving and working for US, the web
    masters, but it's so anti-affil marketing that I hesitate to blather on
    about it in an affiliate marketing forum.

Bottom line is this: WE take back control of our sites, no more tracking
    stress and we offer merchants a chance to reap rewards too. For me, it's a
    perfect scenario. I am more than willing to share how this works and
    benefits everyone. Personally, I'm sick of stressing about stolen
    commissions and bad tracking. I've earned the right to not have to worry
    about getting screwed and merchants are well served, too. Just no middle man
    network or potential for revenue losses to parasites.

Who the hell's gonna argue with that?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally, I'm sick of stressing about stolen
    commissions and bad tracking. I've earned the right to not have to worry
    about getting screwed and merchants are well served, too. Just no middle man
    network or potential for revenue losses to parasites.

Who the hell's gonna argue with that?

I have neither seen nor heard about ANY INDUSTRY online or off, that does not have its set of crooks and crap! Ever since Archer Daniels Midland to the staid and boring-seeming industry of agriculture ( http://www.courttv.com/archive/legal...ss/archer.html ), I have had no illusions. There is no uncorruptible business model.

I'm curious as heck as to what you have in mind (unless it's some kind of PPC thing), but if you think it will somehow be crook-proof I urge you to think again. Whereever there is a system, there is a way to game that system.

For just $49.95 you too can own the Adwhore Enema kit. It's a vasaline coated Funnel shaped tube you insert up your butt (one size fits all) with GPS locator that advertisers can rent to push localized Ads so far up your rectum they cause your eyes to blink Brand Messages available for purchase within 1000 feet of your location.~Mike
    LOL I can see those guys on eBay, who sell advertisers the right to tattoo ads onto their bodies, rushing to buy your kit!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    :

I'm curious as heck as to what you have in mind (unless it's some kind of PPC thing), but if you think it will somehow be crook-proof I urge you to think again. Whereever there is a system, there is a way to game that system.

LOL I can see those guys on eBay, who sell advertisers the right to tattoo ads onto their bodies, rushing to buy your kit!

I don't have a "kit" nor am I selling anything, just pointing out that we have the power to sell ads on our sites, for up front money, no waiting to see if we make a sale, etc. It's not PPC, it's not anything corruptable. It's very simple, every web master makes his/her own deal and maintains it. A little book keeping is involved ... invoicing, ad renewal alerts, etc. No biggie.

If the merchant is doing well and getting clicks and sales, they continue to advertise on your site. It's perfect. Web masters want the merchants to get good traffic so they continue to advertise each month. Merchants can advertise on sites where they get good value, traffic, name recognition and sales!

It's like we become merchants for our own site real estate.

Doesn't anyone get this?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, selling advertising. I do if for a few merchants that wanted to be on my site but don't have an affiliate program. They paid an agreed upon amount up front, i put links up to their site on mine.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The author does not even seem to have a clue that affiliate marketing even exists. He does not realize the power of ads placed in relavant positions/sites drawing quality traffic that takes place in affiliate marketing.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Rexanne--Sorry, the "kit" part was in reference to what Mike (EcomCity) said. I put his name at the end of that last quote, but I guess I should've bolded it...

All the below quotes are from you, though...

it's not anything corruptable. It's very simple, every web master makes his/her own deal and maintains it. A little book keeping is involved ... invoicing, ad renewal alerts, etc. No biggie.
    Everything's corruptable to some extent, unfortunately.

As for fraud that can befall publishers, what about, bad credit cards, (falsely) disputed charges, false disputes of your traffic figures, advertisers putting redirects on pages you had approved (that were fine when you approved them), etc?

And, on the other side of the coin, advertisers need a way they can be sure of avoiding publisher fraud. Crooked publishers exist too, and have been known to overstate their traffic, and run traffic-bots and clickbots to inflate their stats.

Merchants can advertise on sites where they get good value, traffic, name recognition and sales!
    That's an affiliate site!

But, most advertising of the kind you seem to be talking about, is CPM-based. That encourages webmasters to get mega traffic regardless of whether that traffic will click or buy, especially via entertainment (or, less often, educational) content, which can burn through thousands of impressions with nary a click.

It's like we become merchants for our own site real estate.

Doesn't anyone get this?
    Having to hound out advertisers sounds like a big pain (unless you have a big megasite)...and if you use one of the marketplaces to avoid that pain, it's getting back toward the network system...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

15 years and counting
    Wrong Forum, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader

Everything's corruptable to some extent, unfortunately.

As for fraud that can befall publishers, what about, bad credit cards, (falsely) disputed charges, false disputes of your traffic figures, advertisers putting redirects on pages you had approved (that were fine when you approved them), etc?

And, on the other side of the coin, advertisers need a way they can be sure of avoiding publisher fraud. Crooked publishers exist too, and have been known to overstate their traffic, and run traffic-bots and clickbots to inflate their stats.

But, most advertising of the kind you seem to be talking about, is CPM-based. That encourages webmasters to get mega traffic regardless of whether that traffic will click or buy, especially via entertainment (or, less often, educational) content, which can burn through thousands of impressions with nary a click.

Having to hound out advertisers sounds like a big pain (unless you have a big megasite)...and if you use one of the marketplaces to avoid that pain, it's getting back toward the network system...
    Leader,

I don't "usually" go looking for advertisers. If I see a merchant that would be a good fit for my site and I think they will do well with my visitors, I've been known to send them an ad pitch (spam... granted ...) and sometimes they go for it. If my advertisers are not happy with the results, they leave which is not what I want. If they are doing well on my site, they renew advertising for the next month which is what counts. A one time ad payment does me no good in the long run, plus if I screw my advertisers, my reputation falters. NOT GOOD.

I am not taking into consideration the "corrupt publisher." - You're right.
    Just didn't think about it. So corrupt and otherwise evil, lousy-intentioned
    web masters: I am not talking to you!

A publisher can place the ad only after payment has been made and credit card/check/whatever is cleared. PayPal works great. :-)

I think if a web master has a site that is desirable, it will attract paying
    advertisers and should perform well without worrying about click through rates or fraud. Reputation is vital. I'm "assuming" web masters on ABW are reputable and honorable.

If an affiliate link performs well, leave it on your site but give paying advertisers placement precedence when possible. Knowing what sells on your site (and where) gives you the ability to price your ads accordingly and steer the advertiser to the best-possible location for his/her/products (just as you would place an affil ad). Generally, pamper your paying advertisers and help them make money with your visitors. Same as affil marketing, without the nonsense. If you know that you are getting lots of visitors looking for a specific product/merchant and no sales are being made via affil links, get a paying advertiser in there who will reap the rewards of your hard-earned traffic. I have a few places where I have begged advertisers to try ads and they ahve performed so well, the advertiser is stunned and grateful I approached him. Meanwhile, after sendign thousands of visitors to the same affil product link with NO sales, I feel great about being able to offer that traffic to a merchant who has paid me for the opportunity UP FRONT and I'm not left chasing sales, commissions and tracking.

As for network ad middlemen ... hmmmmmmmm ... that's another issue and plays into the structure of paying ads but networks (I think) work on a CPC basis. However they work, it's better than letting parasites steal our commissions and wondering if sales are tracking.

I think paying ads is the way to go, plus it can be incorporated into an affiliate-based site. Think about it ... it's gorgeous. :-) You all just have to get over the cynicism and breathe some fresh air to understand that YOU have the power over your sites.

If anyone wants to know how I incorporate this into my business plan, PM me. I'm happy to share. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    For just $49.95 you too can own the Adwhore Enema kit. It's a vasaline coated Funnel shaped tube you insert up your butt (one size fits all) with GPS locator that advertisers can rent to push localized Ads so far up your rectum they cause your eyes to blink Brand Messages available for purchase within 1000 feet of your location. Youget reβates equal to the low purchase price the moment you activate your Reward Points Debit card. (good at over 30,000,000 merchant locations worldwide. It's almost FREE and works whereever you go!
    Hats off. That's the funniest thing I've read all month!
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread