Passion/What is Passion?
    Hey Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this ,so I decided this would probably be ok. So here it is,I hope eveyone enjoy's!!!!!!!!!!!

So I routinely hear people encouraging newbies to internet marketing to get into something they are passionate about.

I don't know about you, but I'm passionate about just about everything.
    If I have the time, I'll listen to your 10 minute speech on how to build sidewalks, or how to manufacture a Barbie, or how to fix lawn mower blades, or why one hair curler is better than the other.

For some reason, I am just passionate about anything I don't know about.

I like to talk alot, blah blah blah. You might have been able to tell. Sometimes I can never shut up, but there is almost always something that can shut me up in a instant. To keep me quite, you either need to be smarter than me, or be talking about something I don't know about.

If it is alien to me, I'm passionate about it. I'll shut up in a second. I want to know how it works, where it came from, where is it going, who's gonna get it. I'm just nosy for info basically.

It's this attitude that will help me succeed whether I'm a diaper salesman, or a Congressional member in your district.

The purpose of this thread is to encourage people to drop your preconceived ideas about anything. Open your mind, heart, and soul to all around you and you'll be amazed at just how many things you are passionate about.

--------------------

"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."
    - George Burns (1896-1996)

ABW Ambassador
    here's a hint:
    Trunk rattlin’ like two midgets in the back seat wrestlin
    Speakerboxx vibrate the tag, make it sound like aluminum cans in a bag

I'm passionate about any high paying niche market with low competition

Try non profits at the moment i am working on two sites www.bestwoodworkingtips.com should be up some time today!

You must have a heart of gold. I think I am the exact opposite in a sense that I get passionate about things I am good at, with the exception of AM of course !

What happens when you learn about something, does the passion die or get stronger?

It sounds to me like he has a passion for learning, which is a good thing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Shopper
    I don't know about you, but I'm passionate about just about everything. If I have the time, I'll listen to your 10 minute speech on how to build sidewalks, or how to manufacture a Barbie, or how to fix lawn mower blades, or why one hair curler is better than the other.

I'm a lot like you! Possible subjects of passion seem to occur often!

I think the difference is that when I've exhausted a discussion about how to build sidewalks, I'm then done if it's not something I'm passionate about. If it is MY passion, then I find myself starting conversations about it, days and weeks later, with others who weren't in the first discussion.

The things you return to again and again - the things you internalize and become an aspect of you (that people around you recognize) - those things reflect your passions. If you find yourself taking pictures of sidewalks to mount in your hallway, it has become a passion. If you buy a lapel pin of a sidewalk, it has grown within you to become more than information / knowledge / discussion of sidewalks - it is a part of your persona. If your Mom asks what's new and you tell her about this super fantastic sidewalk that you visited (and I mean planned a trip to go see), then it has risen to a passion.

If you then were to build a website to try to make money, it would naturally occur to you to look into sidewalks not because you know how they are built, but because you know a lot more than that about sidewalks and your thirst to know more about sidewalks is almost unquenchable.

We don't have the capacity to reach this level of passion about every subject we ever discuss or even master. But for reasons that aren't always apparent or obvious, we select a chosen few to be OURS. In fact, when it is a true passion, we usually prefer to NOT classify, codify or make rigid, the reasons why it is our passion - it grows beyond a plausible explanation (like my Dad was a concrete finisher) and becomes a simple "because" I just love sidewalks. Perhaps the reasons become many-fold as we learn the many angles of sidewalking, but regardless, I find that my true passions are ones where I don't have a conscious reason for them being mine - they are instead, mine as mine - without reason.

One other aspect of our passions, we dismiss their negatives without angst. If I were a sidewalk enthusiast and someone told me "but sidewalks are cold inanimate objects and they lack diversity of appearance and show no signs of possesing any character", I wouldn't argue the logic of their opinion, I would recognize that they don't see the obvious beauty and attraction that draws me to sidewalks - and I might even judge that person to lack creativity and appreciation for aesthetics. If they wanted to argue, I'd enjoy it and I'd NEVER EVER feel like I lost the argument, just that I met someone who lacked the innate ability to apreciate something as grand as a sidewalk.

If you focus on your passions, imo, you do have a better chance of building an interesting site - mostly because your bucket of enthusiasm and the daily time slice you're willing devote to mentalize (a new word? ... a passion of mine!) this particular subject is almost without limit.

If finding and filling a specific niche is a key to success (and I believe it is), then passion oftens leads you there naturally.

I know a gas station attendent - a friend of mine - a 32-year man - known him for years - he's an expert collector of transformers (the little toys) - if he were to get into affiliate marketing, I'd suggest (and I have) that he make a site about collecting and trading those little things [which, btw, I personally think are really stupid to collect (i.e. I do discuss them, but they are not my passion)].

Lastly, we all know that success in affiliate marketing does not come quickly. Choosing a passionate path increases the chances that a newbie will stick with it long enough - long enough to trip across enough affiliate keys to success along the way - that it lets them come through the other side of the inexperience-experience tunnel with enough will power to make it.
    Last edited by Donuts; August 15th, 2005 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    At Andy Rodriguez's seminar for Aff Managers in Miami last month, he discussed this. Andy's passion about doing Affiliate Management "right" shows through everything he does - and when you know him and work with him, it doesn't feel like he's selling you something, it feels like he's sharing something with you. Andy demonstrates how the passion and enthusiasm one holds should and can be made real. Check out Andy's seminar - you'll learn alot about selling there as well as managing affiliate programs:
    http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

Andy quoted Zig Ziglar's old addage that goes...

"Zig Ziglar, in his book "Secrets of Closing the Sale," said that the last four letters of the word enthusiasm - i-a-s-m stand for "I am sold myself." If I am not sold on my product or service, if I don't believe that I am offering the best product or service for the best value, if I'm not convinced that what I'm doing is of real benefit to the customer, and if I don't have a "zeal" for my business, then I need to find another line of work."
    (quote from here: http://www.go-star.com/framer/growbusiness0405.htm)

So passions also lets you overcome your feeling that you're selling something to someone - rather, if you believe it yourself, you aren't "selling" something, you're helping the person discover and enjoy something. Expertise, honesty, product knowledge - they come easily when passion is present.

And passion doesn't have to be a tangible thing - so all you who may say you'll sell anything - the subject doesn't matter - I'll reply by saying beforehand, that the way you sell or build your sites - or the way you manage them - or the way you drive traffic to them - or the way you track them - or the way you program your databases to behave to produce an income generating site - or the way you run your business - or manage your time - is your passion showing through in one way or another.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Sounds to me, Freedom Shopper, like you're passionate about information, wisdom, and knowledge. So, why not build a knowledge-based website?

Think informational resources. Think Encyclopedia.com. Think About.com and that type of thing. Or, you could build niche sites containing information and how to's on a variety of topics. Be creative. Brainstorm a bit and then narrow down from there.

You seem to be all about the info so build on that. Just a friendly suggestion.

Hey Thanks for the heads up!

That is why at the moment I am working on two new sites that will be non-profits in order to try and help kid's with cancer. Information is what drives people to your site. First info then maybe if you can build relationships the money will come.

Back in late May I myself was diagnosed with "Tyhmus Cancer " and I feel strongly that it was a wake up call to help other's that have also been sricken with this sickness,but especially children.

Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    Sounds to me, Freedom Shopper, like you're passionate about information, wisdom, and knowledge. So, why not build a knowledge-based website?

Think informational resources. Think Encyclopedia.com. Think About.com and that type of thing. Or, you could build niche sites containing information and how to's on a variety of topics. Be creative. Brainstorm a bit and then narrow down from there.

You seem to be all about the info so build on that. Just a friendly suggestion.
    Or, something like HowStuffWorks.com. Very cool site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread