View Poll Results: What's the highest number of new datafeeds you've published online in one week?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 7

2 22.22%
  • 8 to 14

2 22.22%
  • 15 to 30

1 11.11%
  • 31 to 50

0 0%
  • 51 to 200

1 11.11%
  • 200+

3 33.33%
    How many Datafeeds can you publish in a week?
    How fast can you publish your datafeeds? What's the most number of new datafeeds you've successfully published within 7 days? Just to make things a little more interesting, only count the number of *unique* datafeeds you've published in a week. If you copied the same datafeed onto 10 different domains (shame on you) you can only count that as one. Really what I'd like to know is how efficiently you're publishing new information.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I think I did 12 one week this spring. I have an object oriented feed importer, so I just subclass whatever the feed source is (SaS, etc) and tweak a few settings and run a test import on my local development server to make sure it looks good, and then add it to the cron job schedule.

The stuff that's the most variable from feed-to-feed is what kind of extra filters I need to do or extra processing on the product description needs to take place.

The quantity isn't an issue though, really it's finding the right feeds with the right products and prices to match what people are looking for. That's most of the work.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I'm up there with you Tim at around 12. It isn't so much a matter of the time spent putting them up as the time spent collecting them. I'm sure companies like Bizrate or Pricegrabber add quite a few new datafeeds every day. Getting it up as soon as possible from the point it's made available can be trivial with proper software.

- Scott

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I got bored after 312 new datafeed sites. Ran out of choices for border colors, text logo and money for disposable domains with Angelfire hosting. The project did generate 28,000,000 SE slurpable spam pages that week. I fired up an old copy of Web PositionGold and submitted the whole mess to 10,000 search engines, directories and link farms. Damn submittals replies filled up a disposable G-mail 2 Gig account.

I'll let you guys know when I can buy a new car off the commissions?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Give it a rest man, it's getting old. Not all datafeed users are spammers. It seems to me you just like to criticize what you don't know how to do...
    Tim

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wasn't sure what you meant by "new" but as I read through this thread I think I voted wrong. When I think of "new" I think of feeds from merchants who've never been on any of my sites before. I don't sign up for many new merchants at once, so in that case it'd be 1-7, not because of any technological limit but because of how I add new merchants.

But, if by "new," you actually meant how many UPDATED feeds I can put up in a week, the answer would be "51-200" since I've got over 51 merchants' feeds that come in my big CJ feed. Although techwise it's probably more accurate to say I deal with it as if that's 1 feed...I just stick the whole thing in the DB and let PHP sort it out.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    When I think of "new" I think of feeds from merchants who've never been on any of my sites before.
    That's how I interpreted it...feeds I hadn't used before.
    Tim

Could probably get up half a dozen a day if I left them nearly raw with no processing beyond cleanup of odd characters, etc.

But I usually spend a day or two on tweaking categories, re-wording descriptive text, other trimming and fertilizing operations to make the feed "my own".

If I'm motivated I will get up maybe 4 or 5 per week, but it's usually 2 or 3.

I can't touch a datafeed before I bring it into my system. If I were to rework anything before it's processed, I'd have to rework it every time I import the datafeed. That's much too much of a hassle. After I plug a new datafeed into my system, I import a test product to make sure the field mapping is accurate. Then I import the categories and map them to my existing category structure. From here I can disable any categories that don't belong on my niche. Once categories are disabled, those products won't be imported. I'll run a full import from here to ensure everything is searchable in my search engine. Mapping the remaining categories can take a while, so I consider a datafeed published when it's searchable and cross listed with the existing products in my site. I've finally got this entire process going through my administration panel. It's incredibly handy as I never have to touch a datafeed or download it locally.

If a datafeed is clean, I can add it to my site in less than 5 minutes without touching an ounce of PHP code or FTP. I just wish all datafeeds were clean!

- Scott

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread