Got the BBQ, need sauce help!
    ok, got the BBQ set already! All hooked up and fired up on the first try. Now, does anyone have suggestions for a good BBQ sauce? I am looking for a beef one and a chicken one. I know I can get some help here! Got 2 hours before I head out to the grocery store !

Ooooh you got the grill! Enjoy! We are still in pursuit of the perfect BBQ sauce. Seems like everytime we go to the store we try a new one. I look forward to everyone's recommendations.

One thing that my husband does a lot is he grills with a white barbeque sauce. It is vinegar based and really, really good on chicken. He Googled it one day and ended up with a great recipe. He made a huge batch of it and so we still have quite a bit left. Sadly he didn't bookmark the page or I'd share it with you.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I'm no sauce pro, but if you are looking for some delicious seasoning you have got to go with McCormicks. Trust me on this one, it is amazing for bbq's:

http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6367

I suppose my favorite bbq sauce is anything that has honey in it.

Thanks for the replies. I can't wait any longer. I am out to buy some grilling stuff! But, do keep the recommendations coming. I would love lots of feed back.

Zimmy: YES! It is setup outside. Got the line hook up without too much trouble. I CAN'T WAIT!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's very easy to make a basic barbecue sauce. I don't have measurements coz I rarely cook from a recipe. Here are the ingredients, all of which you probably have in your kitchen.

ketchup
    honey
    garlic (or onion if you prefer, or both!)
    salt
    pepper
    powdered cayenne pepper
    apple cider vinegar (optional)

To keep the grill from getting too messed up you can baste a little cooking oil onto the cooking surface, just don't let any oil drip down or you'll have a fire "down below."

I prefer to use a rub because it makes less of a mess on the grill and still tastes great. The best tasting (and all natural) rubs I've used aren't easy to find. They're made by a Hungarian company famous for its paprika, Szeged. They make a chicken rub, pork rub and beef rub.

Admittedly, I'm not a talented BBQer. Temperature regulation can be so tricky and of course that affects the success of the dish.

My favorites are KC Masterpiece and anything from Tony Romas (which you can buy from them or at the store). Nice and think with wonderful flavor.

When you cook with barbeque sauce, you seldom want to put it on FIRST. Cook the meat, then brush the sauce on the last 5-15 minutes depending on the temperature that you're cooking.

Here's a little secret that I do with my BBQ ribs (which I let cook in the oven for 3-4 hours at about 275-300 before putting them on the grill)... Get the grill good and hot, s.p.r.a.y it with nonstick s.p.r.a.y, put the ribs on, brush the sauce on, leave it a few minutes, turn the ribs, put suace on the other side, then s.p.r.a.y the nonstick s.p.r.a.y under the ribs and let it flame up. This will glaze the sauce wonderfully. Leave it on the grill a couple minutes, flip it, and repeat. [I had to type it as s.p.r.a.y so it wouldn't change to spray!]
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here's a teryaki recipe that I like to use on steak tips. Like Rhea, I don't have measurements, I've been improvising this for like 20 years.

In rough order of quantity...

brown sugar
    soy sauce
    water
    olive oil
    ---
    orange juice
    minced ginger
    minced garlic

I start with the above-the-line items until I have a nice syrupy mixture, then add the rest to taste. Rough proportions...it uses a lot of brown sugar and a lot of soy sauce, and a little of the others. I love garlic and ginger, so I load up whichever I have. It's fine without either or both.

The longer it can marinate the better. I like to prep this in the morning or night before and let it marinate all day. It's not a great last-minute marinade.

This makes a big mess on the grill, but nothing that 10 minutes on high can't burn off.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally I think everything tastes great with a large amount of garlic salt; no "sauce" for me. Sauce always seems to either be sweet or tomato-ey, and neither flavor is something I want a steak to taste like. GARLIC, or at least savory herbs, have a much better flavor IMO.

I had to type it as s.p.r.a.y
    Hint: If you don't want any smilies to appear in a particular post, you can check "Disable smilies in text" on the Go Advanced screen.

Then spray away...It's also a good feature for condolences posts, where it wrecks the effect to have "pray" turn into the praying guy.
    (Usually I like smilies, though, so most of the time I just jam the effect for particular ones, kind of like you did. I usually use spaces, though ["sp ray" and "p opcorn"].)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Tasty & easy marinade for chicken cutlets - try Italian salad dressing. I usually throw the cutets in a large ziploc with the dressing late morning or early afternoon for best flavor.

Affiliate Manager
    by far the best BBQ sauce on earth...good on chicken, beef fish...anything

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

Thanks for the tip, Leader! Even a Moderator can learn something.

I would never ruin a steak by putting barbecue sauce on it. Ribs, chicken, pork chops, and maybe hamburgers. But never steak. For steak, I always season it with spices.

If you use salt, put it on last (like barbecue sauce). It dries the meat out, so you want it on for as short of a time as possible. I usually sear both sides (sealing in the juices) before I put any salt on.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Why bother buying barbecue sauce? Whenever possible, I just make my own, because I can make it exactly how I want it. My basic bbq sauce is just ketchup, molasses and vinegar. From there, just add whatever you feel like to create the flavor you want. Sugar, honey, mustard, liquid smoke, apple juice, soy sauce, whatever you can find in your cupboard or refrigerator that you think would be good.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    For steak, I always season it with spices.
    As a Nebraskan, I sympathise with you for having to eat what those outside of Nebraska refer to as "Steak".

Steak needs no spices, just a touch of salt before being tossed on that grill.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread