Can't Open TXT File
    I just wanted to drop all webmerge users a tip if you run into webmerge not being able to open excell datafeeds. I haven't found this anywhere and would like to tell all affiliates, if you have problems opening datafeeds in webmerge from excell, the work around is this, You MUST CLose the datafeed file in excell before you are able to export into webmerge. I spent 3 days on this problem before i realized this.

Affiliate Manager
    This is odd, since the OS should notify WebMerge when it doesn't have permission to access a file, and WebMerge passes on any file I/O errors to the user in an error warning.

Which OS version are you using?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    You MUST CLose the datafeed file in excell before you are able to export into webmerge.
    Within Excel I make it a standard procedure to first save the file in tab-delimited .TXT format, and then save it again immediately in .XLS format. That provides me a backup and frees .TXT the file to be imported into WM without any error messages (and avoids having to close Excel).

FRANK
    Baertracks

I have been experimenting with Webmerge lately and have been having all sorts of problems opening a text file that came from Excel. One thing that has seemed to work lately is to NOT to say that it's an Excel file, but rather, say "none" and make sure the two option boxes for “first line of file contains field names” and “text values are in quotes” are UNCHECKED.

Affiliate Manager
    Most Excel files are exported with quoted text values.

If you have a file exported from Excel in a format listed in the presets which doesn't conform to the settings for that preset, please email it to me so I can investigate where Microsoft went wrong. They do have a habit of playing fast and loose with their own export formats, and if it turns out we need to differentiate different versions I'll be happy to do so.

When sending the file please note which version of Excel you're using, and which version of WebMerge.

Thanks in advance -
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I am using the new xp. When i try to import the text delimited file into webmerge I get an error stating that Webmerge is unable to open this file. However when i close the file in excel it works like a charm!

Great software, I had spent over 10,000 dollars on a price comparision custom software using datafeeds and it seems that webmerge is not only easier it seems to rank better in the serps

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread