ABW Ambassador
    Adwords - How much competition?
    For those who do adwords - in your experience, is it worth it to advertise on keywords that have more than 8 competitors if you know you won't be on the first page? In other words, have you found it to be profitable for you or do you just get a bunch of empty clicks?

Also, has the lack of response just by virtue of being on page 2 or even page 3 hurt you with the google meter that says you have to have a certain click through rate?

Thanks,
    Kip

lurk
    8 competitors? If only all my campaigns only had 8 competitors. Of course if you are the first, second, or third spot for a keyword you will receive a higher volume of clicks and most likely more conversions (given that the page is setup to easily convert users). You can still achieve a great conversion ratio on from wherever your ads are displayed, just keep in mind to make the landing page vary user friendly and focus on whatever product you were advertising for.

Keep you keywords very targetted. If you have a mall site don't bid on "sandles" "tvs" "toys" etc. for one ad. The more targetted you get the better conversions you will recieve and the less competition you will have. Get as deep as you need... if you are saling high quality sandles called "Brand A Sandles" create a campaign for each one of the top 5 or 10 keywords that are relative to those sandles. Things to think about... if the sandles you are saling only appeal to a small demographic, it can be hard to get conversions off a "sandles" keyword. This may work for places like Payless, but it would be like Saxs Fifth Avenue bidding on "Socks". People who type in "socks" aren't looking to buy a $100 pair of socks, if they wanted sax socks they will generally type in "Sax Fifth Avenue Socks" or something of the sort.

I hope this helps. What kind of product are you bidding on, do you have a mall site or are you trying to focus on one area of something?
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Jason. I appreciate it. It's a mall type site. I wanted to bid on some of the main keywords similar to the ones in your example - toys, tvs, etc.

I know the more targeted the better. I just wondered if adwords beyond page 1 for a main keyword like one of the ones above actually converted or if they were mainly empty clicks.

Just a tip: If someone is searching on a main/general keyword, they're usually looking for information and aren't interested in buying yet. If they're searching for specifics, they know what they want to buy. Bid on the specifics. You'll get much better results and pay far less.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Just a tip: If someone is searching on a main/general keyword, they're usually looking for information and aren't interested in buying yet. If they're searching for specifics, they know what they want to buy. Bid on the specifics. You'll get much better results and pay far less.

Exactly. Even if you have 10 different brands with 10 different models. This way will prove to be much much more effective. It may take a lot more work to create more campaigns but it will most definatly yield higher conversions.
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Michael and Jason. That's what I had planned. For example, if the category was cookbooks I would do italian cookbooks, chinese cookbooks, mexican cookbooks, etc. I would also do the more targeted words such as northern italian pasta cookbooks, etc. but I thought since italian cookbooks gets tons more traffic it might be worthwhile to advertise on it even though it has a lot of competition.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You could break that down even further, too...
    Italian bread cookbooks, Italian pasta cookbooks, etc. etc.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

or, "Leaders affiliate marketing brew cookbook for beginners posting at ABW - books under 500 dollars" - really stretch it out. lol oh, what fun! let's make a game out of converting traffic to income... let's call it revenue sharing!
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

Kip, just because there are 8 other advertisers in your section does not mean you will end up at the end, especially with Adwords.

It's all in the bid amount, the clickthrough rate and hteir daily budget. If you can afford the CPC, bid for a high position without it being 1.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread