Adwords Minimum Bid Now $.01?!?
    Friends,

Just noticed something interesting, and possibly important...

For those of you whose campaigns are under the new "Keyword Status System."

Try this with one of your Adwords Ad Groups:

1. Click on "Edit Keywords."

2. Click on the "Estimate Traffic" button.

Notice that there's a new "Minimum Bid" column? Scan down the list, and see if you can spot any Minimum Bids that are below $.05. My lists contain minimum bids as low as $.01!

I have successfully set the bids for individual keywords to values lower than $.05, which (I think) was the previous minimum.

Is this something new (perhaps I never noticed before), or a glitch.

Interesting fact #2: you can now create a custom report that includes the minimum acceptable bid for each keyword - or at least there's a check box for that item. When I tried it, though the check box was checked, no column appeared in the report.

Can someone reality-check my observations?

Thanks,

David

I've always figured that they are losing out on hundreds of millions of dollars by scaring away bids on less competitive terms that won't garner the 5 cent bids.

Here comes Mike He can't resist spouting off about the PPCSE's that he's never dabbled with.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Here comes Mike He can't resist spouting off about the PPCSE's that he's never dabbled with.

LOL!! Mike is the only one making sales ... he doesn't need PPC ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Mike doesn't make sales Off to hunt for those penny clicks

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, clicks under a nickel I did it the way szetela posted and see it. One campaign, i just put all my bids on 1 cent and then checked it out and i see all kinds of bids for 1, 2, 3, 4 cents.

Yes, AdWords is going both "up" and "down"
    Yes, this is a strange but understandable shift. As I noted in another discussion thread, Google has raised the "minimum bid" amounts on some search phrases, inexplicably. I discovered that many search phrases for which I was the ONLY BIDDER at 5 cents, now have minimum bids ranging from 10 cents to $5.00 (yes, $5.00). Yet when I launched a series of new campaigns today, the minimum bid amount came up as $0.01 for ALL new search phrases.

I couldn't find any keywords at 1 c. Maybe I should enter some unpopular terms to get those...

Geno

Talking
    "I couldn't find any keywords at 1 c. Maybe I should enter some unpopular terms to get those..."

Google wants to show adwords for any search term possible. i.e.

"mating habits of the southwestern kansas prairie dog"

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    "mating habits of the southwestern kansas prairie dog"
    Aaaargh! How'd you know the subject of my new site?! Spies, all of you! I knew it!

-John, who is just loving the combination of Adwords suddenly activating a ton of "on hold" keywords just as CJ reporting turns up the laughing gas.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by tim-store.com
    Yes, this is a strange but understandable shift. As I noted in another discussion thread, Google has raised the "minimum bid" amounts on some search phrases, inexplicably. I discovered that many search phrases for which I was the ONLY BIDDER at 5 cents, now have minimum bids ranging from 10 cents to $5.00 (yes, $5.00). Yet when I launched a series of new campaigns today, the minimum bid amount came up as $0.01 for ALL new search phrases.
    this is the same thing I noticed.... I think over all G is going to be makiong loads more $$ from for adwords... because adwords costs for us advertisers is UP!

I have min bids for obscure misspellings hovering around $5.00 CPC and there is no change that i can see regarding disabled keywords....

Originally they said all disabled keywords would be activated underthe new system...

Ya RIGHT!!!!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Originally they said all disabled keywords would be activated underthe new system...
    Maybe they aren't done with the changes yet because I remember that too, plus we were supposed to get an email when things changed over.

I deleted my disabled keywords and then added them back in. It's so funny, those disabled words have a lower minimum bid than many of my other ones. I thought that they would have come back with a higher bid, you know, make me pay if I want to run a keyword with a low CTR.

I discovered that many search phrases for which I was the ONLY BIDDER at 5 cents, now have minimum bids ranging from 10 cents to $5.00
    This really has me ticked off!

In some instances, there is now another bidder that has absolutely nothing to do with the keyword. (I'm sure there are many who planned to take advantage of the drop in active keywords, even if their advantage only last a week.)
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread