ABW Ambassador
    Surge Protectors - UPS
    What's everybody using? Checking out an old thread someone asked this and everybody said get UPS. I had a Belkin Surgemaster II that worked great until tonite when there was some heavy lightning. I have dialup, so i had that connected to it and the phone. Both didn't work connected to the protector but put into the wall and they both work fine. So i guess the telephone part of the surge protector got fried, i can still plug stuff in and it works for that. So i'm looking for something new. Should i get just a surge protector or surge protector and UPS?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I don't see how a UPS system would be cost effective unless you have your host server in your home. Have you priced any?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't even know what a UPS is. I just have the very basic setup, computer, printer, monitor. I think i just need to get another surge protector.

Now i know what a UPS is:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector6.htm

With UPS costing as little as 20 dollars Their cost effective. Go to CC they have an APC one for 19.99

Seriously? Twenty bucks? How long do will it keep the system online? Can you set it up so it closes all apps and powers down normally?

Trust, a surge protector is only going to smooth out power fluctuations. Which is nice, but...a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) will keep your system running even during a blackout, for a limited amount of time, hopefully enough time for you to power down normally.

The ones used in computer rooms in businesses are very large arrays of batteries. I have no idea what's available for home users.

Long enough to power down your PC. When my power went out it gave me 5 minutes to do so.
    But unlike the 30 dollar APC UPS they have the 20 and the 15 dollar one doesn't include software or anything to connect to the PC. For that you'd have to go for the 30 dollar one and that one gives you about 20 minutes.

We live in the lightning capitol of the USA, and the main annoyance is that during storms we get a lot of 1 second to 5 minute outages as various bits of electric company infrastructure get zapped. We have an APC BackUPS 1100 that handles the DSL, the network switch, and a few of the servers. Each PC (or Mac) has it's own APC "power brick" type UPS which is good for 15-20 minutes.

The main thing is to smooth out the the annoying 1 second blips that cause things to reboot needlessly and to condition the power. Even during times when nothing is going on weather-wise, I'll hear the 1100 kick in for a second or two to smooth out some power fluctuation...so I feel good knowing it's keeping the juice where it's supposed to be.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Our whole house is on a surge protector. We live in the foothills of a mountain range and get some pretty freaky storms here (winter and summer).

Thanks for the info about personal use UPS systems, guys.

Geeze, what's next? Personal use halon systems?

I use a Cyber Power 1500 AVR and so far it's been good. The most time I used it, while the power was out, was about 30 minutes. I plug in the PC, router, cable modem, monitor and my VOIP phone. Can't remember but think I paid around $100 for it and it also works well for those numerous short power outages also.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Don't risk it!

I've seen MANY fried modems and hard drives with lost data.

Use only these types from APC Any three should help but I always prefer one similar to this basic one. There are other brands and local stores, even online, that sell these types of UPS and protectors so shop around there are many good deals online, but I always prefer APC.

Not sure what you need, the UPS Selector, it helps you decide what you really need.

APC is the trusted brand for UPS.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Our whole house is on a surge protector. We live in the foothills of a mountain range and get some pretty freaky storms here (winter and summer).

Thanks for the info about personal use UPS systems, guys.

Geeze, what's next? Personal use halon systems?

Rhea,

I agree with jrami. I have been in the IT community for years both personally and professionally. Just being on a surge protector isn't good enough. If you get a spike through the system, your surge protector is going to get burnt as well. Also, before buying a UPS, make sure what you are buying can handle what is going ot be plugged into it. Your retailer of choice "should" be able to help you determine that. If you are using a basic computer, monitor and printer, then I would go with a 500VA unit. I personally wouldn't go with a 350VA myself. They are made for the masses which typically means they are of a bit inferior quality. Your equipment is worth it to go with something a little stronger.

In addition... NOT having the proper amount of juice to run your machine can severely damage them as well. This is also known as a "brown out". I have seen this happen before, with hardware being damaged. Hence another need for a battery backup.

nish is pretty much on the right track. Not to desparage the competition, but APC is the "industry standard".

Hope this helps!

Streaatz
    Last edited by Streaatz; August 18th, 2005 at 09:32 AM.

Internet Cowboy
    A decent UPS is the best $70 - 100 you will ever spend. It protects your system. More importatnly, when you are working, it keeps you from losing your work when the lights blink.

I'm actually UPS Crazy.. I've had the pleasure of blackouts, brownouts, and spikes and I'm not willing to risk losing any work or hardware.

I've use APC 650's for my main PC, a couple Liebert 350's on other systems, and an APC 350 on my router/cordless phone. Oh, and until I went to VoIP I had one corded phone plugged in just in case my power was out longer than the phone/router one would last..

A little crazy maybe but I've been in the IT field for a while and I've seen some nasty things happen from sags & spikes so I'd rather be overly cautious. And Nooooooo, i don't wear two seatbelts in my car : ..

It's actually kind of funny, at 6:30'ish am every morning or whenever I power up my Laser printer, I get the steady stream of UPS alarms because of a sag at the house..
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

I think a UPS for our home computers is a great idea, but guys...they're no guarantee that you won't have a problem. I know of one mainframe and one mini that had disk crashes as a result of a blackout in spite of being supported by a computer room UPS system. I was in the next room when the mini crashed. Sounded horrible and smelled worse.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I think a UPS for our home computers is a great idea, but guys...they're no guarantee that you won't have a problem. I know of one mainframe and one mini that had disk crashes as a result of a blackout in spite of being supported by a computer room UPS system. I was in the next room when the mini crashed. Sounded horrible and smelled worse.
    Rhea,

You are SO right! Should you stop looking both ways before you cross the street? Of course not... No one was telling you to invest thousands. Just giving you real world experiences. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide how important your equipment is to you. $100.00 or less is a minimal investment considering the possible consequenses. I hope my previous post helps you in making a decision.

Streaatz

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread