Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guess what I had for...
    lunch today, lunch and dinner yesterday, and dinner the day before that?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That's got to be the oddest question I've seen on here in a while...

Baloney?
    Hot dogs?
    Hamburger?
    Crow~?

How should we know what you had for lunch?!?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

15 years and counting
    I know I had for lunch today, for lunch and dinner yesterday and for dinner the day before that.
    Maybe we're eating at the same restaurant?

I'm spending more and more time to clean my mailboxes and less time to eat.

Bbq?
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

chip and fish ?

Oh, I get it. It's one of those Lean Cuisine commercials. Where everyone has had boring food stuffs, except for one person - who describes in nauseating detail - the sumptuous meal they had.

What's the point? Why would we care what you ate??

Andy

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Getting good use out of your BBQ, Ian? Have you been trying different BBQ sauces, cuts of meat, some veggies maybe?

Blast it, I forgot about that bbq you just bought...

So, make that...
    BARBEQUED,

Baloney?
    Hot dogs?
    Hamburger?
    Crow~?

So give us all the details!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Did I win?! :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Yes, Yes and another YES! BBQ is correct! Got the natural gas line hooked up and it works fantastically! Is that even a word?

Over cooked the steak on my first try. Tried a few sauces (home made and store bought). Even tried the rubs! What I found was that even the best store bought sauces and rubs needs a little massaging and tweaking for my taste!

Did bavarian sausages, steak (only 2 varieties), chicken, prawns and a slew of veggies. I love grilled mushrooms and zucchini with the sweet gooey sauce!!!

Is there a cut of meat the is especially good for grilling? I used the same cut that works great in a convection oven but after grilling, it wasn't as tender. Not sure if it's my temperature or the cut. I think I need one with more fat marbling perhaps? Any tips would be great!

Can't wait till I get to the grocery store to stock up on more grilling food. Going to do pork soon and try even more veggies!

Internet Cowboy
    I head BBQ 'possum chops were tasty this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate Ian
    Is there a cut of meat the is especially good for grilling? I used the same cut that works great in a convection oven but after grilling, it wasn't as tender. Not sure if it's my temperature or the cut. I think I need one with more fat marbling perhaps? Any tips would be great!
    The more marbling, the better. The ribeye has been my favorite cut lately. Lots of fat and flavor. Also, for the most tender cut, you don't want to cook it past medium or medium well. A really good high-temperature sear on each side will lock in a lot of flavor and juice. Let the steak sit (on a plate) for a few minutes before you serve/cut it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

fish?

damn..thats the problem with keeping windows open for a long time...i am always late...lol

*Groan*
    I really shouldn't have posted in the morning.

I meant balogna! Baloney, that's the stuff networks serve after downgrades.

Anyway, glad to see it was steak that ended up on the barbie!

My favorite steaks are porterhouses and ribeyes. Ribeyes are very tasty but it's easier to get a nice BIG porterhouse...plus, the bone is "insurance" against overcooking. It never seems to cook quite so much near the bone, so there's a bit more of a margin for error. (Of course even that will eventually burn so you still have to pay attention!)

Lots of marbling is indeed key...that lean beef is shoe leather just waiting for YOU to finish tanning it.

I like mine medium/medium-rare...Some people describe it as "almost ready" LOL!

Salmon steaks. Very difficult to mess up.

Take one large zip lock bag, add minced garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, some freshly chopped parsley (or dill), and a little bit of olive oil. Add salmon steaks, laying flat in bag. Press bag down so as to remove as much air as possible and seal bag. Lay flat in fridge for an hour or so. Turn bag over and leave in fridge for another hour. Cook on grill skin side up, turn over carefully, finish cooking. Bliss!

Grilled veggies. Olive oil, thyme, minced garlic in a large zip lock bag. Add teeny baby carrots, Bell peppers (purple and red), slices of yellow squash and zucchini, whole mushrooms (the little kind). Squeeze air out of bag. Lay flat in fridge...yadda, yadda as above. Fold a piece of heavy aluminum foil in half and, put veggies in center, fold edges closed leaving a small gap to allow steam to escape. Grill. Extra nice with a little marinara sauce on top.

London broil. Poke some holes in both sides of the steak. Put in a large zip lock bag. Marinate overnight in vodka and garlic with a smidge of olive oil. Flip bag to ensure both sides of steak are coated with marinade. Yum-yum-yum!

I love garlic!

Michael, Rhea & Leader: Thanks for all the tips!!! Just had another BBQ dinner. More veggies and New Zealand beef! Forgot to pick up eggplant at the grocery store but did find some BIG white button mushroom! They were yummy!

Ribeye is next and then salmon steaks! Already got this week's meals planned out. Starting to get a better idea of the sauce and rubs too. Honey a few minutes before the end on teh chicken made it taste fantastic!!!

Is anyone hungry yet?

Yes, but the real question is: have you tried the McCormicks seasoning yet? I can't bbq without the stuff, especially for chicken.

...and yes, you are making me hungry.

I never thought to put eggplant on the grill. Do you have a recipe?

I ordered 800 dollars worth of steak at the begining of the month. Only 16 peices of steak I have been eating that for the past 4 days. What sucks is I have to share

C.Whyte: Yes, I have tried McCromick's seasoning. I find it is a good base and was good for steak.

Rhea: As for eggplant, I haven't tried it yet. But having watched endless hours of Rob Rainford and Iron Chef, I am guessing that it would be similar to my zucchini grills. I would try a marinade of lots of brown sugar, lots of salt to mask some of the bitterness, oil, and some pepper. make sure to cut them in legnth wise. Easier to handle on the grill and won't slip through the grill as easily. Like zucchini, eggplant would be mushy so grill on medium to medium low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. It will be way past the point of the vegetable being cooked. I like a more firm zucchini so I will do the same for eggplant. I think a sweet caramel based sauce would be great for this. If you really like the sweeter grill taste, brush on honey (with some oil) 2 minutes before you take it off the grill. Will create a nice outer crust of caramelization (or maillard reaction products for all you food scientists out there). I never thought about grilling veggies till this year but I will never grill meat without veggies again! I still can't believe the sauce above went so well with white and brown button mushrooms!

Mike: That is $50 PER STEAK!!! Yikes! drooling, envious, jealous, drooling again.

Yeah their big steaks too. If you're interested I ordered from allenbrothers.com and search for 99548

Ooh, can't believe I almost forgot grilled onions!

Take a large peeled Spanish or Vidalia onion, make an indentation in the top (use a melon baller). Place on a sheet of aluminum foil. Put a pat of butter and a teaspoon of light brown or Turbinado sugar in the indentation. Wrap onion in foil and cook on top rack for 1/2 hour+ (until totally soft throughout).

Ian, there's a method to remove the moisture from eggplant. Just slice it, put it in a bowl and salt it well. Let it sit for a while, remove from bowl and dry on paper towels.

Excellent choice, Mike. One of our local grocery stores sells Allen Brothers Prime steaks. Unfortunately, they're about 30 miles from here, so I don't usually go there unless I'll be nearby already. Sometimes it'll be on sale for as little as $13/pound. I have a hard time paying the $25-$50/pound that online stores charge for Prime steaks. For that price, I can go to a very nice restaurant.

I'm considering buying a whole Prime short loin (which is where the sirloin, porterhouses, NY strips, and filet mignon come from) through a local butcher a few miles from here. It'll be under $13/pound (gross weight), but I'm not sure how much I'll lose from trimming. I suspect it'll be closer to $20/pound after it's trimmed. (I can get a whole Choice short loin from them for about $5/pound, too.) Their price includes aging, cutting, trimming, and vaccum sealing the individual steaks.

A few other tips for steak:

To make it even more tender, use a meat tenderizer. (Not MSG or spices or a hammer, but the kind of tool with lots of small blades like the Jaccard Super 3 Meat Tenderizer.) You can find knockoffs on eBay for $15-$20. Search for "meat tenderizer 48".

My favorite seasoning is Saltgrass 7. It's the seasoning they use at Saltgrass Steakhouse, and you can get it really cheap (a 12 oz. container there is cheaper than a 4.5 oz. container at the restaurant!) from their supplier. I usually buy about a case (six 12 oz. containers) per year. The key with any seasoning is that you want something that will accent and enhance the natural flavor, not overpower it. I've tried dozens of different seasonings and have even mixed my own, but this is my favorite. McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning is my second favorite. Simple salt and pepper can do a good job, too.

Thick cuts of steak are much more forgiving. I always get at least 1.25" or 1.5" cuts. I've even gone as thick as 2", but that makes most ribeyes a couple pounds.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast