More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question Basic Parasite Question
    I posted this in the Midnight forum. No response so I thought I would post here. I have often wondered:

If a sale lost to a parasite or BHO would it still register a click-thru at CJ, Linkshare, etc. ?

I have a program that used to convert before it got parasite-infested but I am still seeing a lot of click-thrus.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    That depends on the particular parasite. But for most of the major ones that are talked about here, the answer would be yes. The click would still register to you on the Network (or Indie) reporting.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    BHO's equate a click with their popup alert impression ...both FORCED I may add. So they get to set their tracking cookie 100% of the time.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    That depends on the particular parasite. But for most of the major ones that are talked about here, the answer would be yes. The click would still register to you on the Network (or Indie) reporting.
    This explain the network-wide drop in EPC from about $12 to $2.50 .

Thanks for the replies!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Is that the Merchant EPC?

What happens for the Merchant with many parasites (not all) is that they get credited 2 clicks for one unique visit. Unless the Network filters clicks within a certain time frame to count as only one unique. I'm not sure if they do this or not. Affiliate 1 actual physical click and then parasite redirect.

But to attribute such a dramatic EPC drop for the Merchant due to parasites, I'd think the Merchant would have had to have let in more than one of the major parasites at once. How much volume the Merchant does would impact this as well. The bigger the volume the Merchant normally does then the more their EPC can withstand against such. I have seen Merchant's EPC shot to shoot by one bad player sending them something like 10k "clicks" (like 180) in a couple of days time.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Now that's some informative dissections of the financial impact of allowing BHO thievery to thrive in your program..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Is that the Merchant EPC?

What happens for the Merchant with many parasites (not all) is that they get credited 2 clicks for one unique visit. Unless the Network filters clicks within a certain time frame to count as only one unique. I'm not sure if they do this or not. Affiliate 1 actual physical click and then parasite redirect.

But to attribute such a dramatic EPC drop for the Merchant due to parasites, I'd think the Merchant would have had to have let in more than one of the major parasites at once. How much volume the Merchant does would impact this as well. The bigger the volume the Merchant normally does then the more their EPC can withstand against such. I have seen Merchant's EPC shot to shoot by one bad player sending them something like 10k "clicks" (like 180) in a couple of days time.
    I am seeing shopathomeselect, toprebates, schoolpop. I see your point. If two clicks are registered than the absolute worst you would see in an EPC decrease would be 50%.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread