Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Approving affilitates for datafeed
    I am a merchant with an existing affilitate program through Shareasale. So far it has been running on auto-pilot but I have decided to step it up by adding a datafeed now and I'm working on the adding more creatives in the near future.

Now that I have the datafeed all set up and ready to go, I have the ability to approve the affiliates individually for FTP access to the feed. The thing is - I don't know what criteria I should be using to decide whether or not to approve the affiliate for FTP access. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Teri

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've been letting 'em all in so far; I figure that if they don't seem to have a suitable site, maybe it's because they're waiting for the feed before they make one, or they may not have put all their sites into the interface.

If something makes you wonder, it'd probably be best to contact them (the affiliate) for further info first, rather than just flatly deny access.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I agree with Leader, let them all have it if they want it. Some affiliates can work wonders with it. I also recommend that, if you're trying to grow your affiliate program, that you take it off "auto-pilot" and invest more time in it. Adding a datafeed and going back to auto-pilot isn't likely to give you the results you're looking for, unless your goal is rather low. I'm not familiar with your program so I'm not criticizing you or your program, just offering some general advice.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I likewise "let 'em all in"...

Geno

I have also found out (by experimenting) that a good incentive (one-time bonus or commission increase) motivates the newly-approved-for-FTP-access affiliates to add the datafeed to their sites more quickly. Do motivate them (in your FTP approval e-mail to them). Otherwise - again from experience - 60% won't even add your stuff to their sites...

Good luck!

Geno

Leader and Geno - I appreciate your input. Geno - I like the incentive suggestion.

Thanks Greg. I completely agree that it is time to take it off auto-pilot. Up until now it has been a time issue. As you know, it takes a lot of time to build, promote and run a successful estore. However, I have recently added additional personnel to help with the day to day operations of the store so I now have time to devote to my affilitate program. I know I have a huge untapped resource with my affiliates and I'm excited about finally having the time to develop the program. I appreciate the advice!

Teri

Looks like you're on your way, "excited" is what I like to hear. Keep up the enthusiasm and good luck with your adventure.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi Teri,

The only time not to approve an affiliate for FTP is if they are a competitor. It does happen sometimes (depending on your products) when a competitor signs up just to get access to your feed, steal your descriptions see prices, etc.

I suggest always approve all affiliates, but monitor once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    The only time not to approve an affiliate for FTP is if they are a competitor. It does happen sometimes (depending on your products) when a competitor signs up just to get access to your feed, steal your descriptions see prices, etc.
    Never thought of this, but I guess you're right... Thanks for the hint!

Geno

jrami - aha! I never even thought of that. I'll definitely keep an eye out for sneaky competitors.

Any time

Not sure If I should let my kids see your site, they will get my CC for a quick buy of this http://dogdecor.com/dog-beds-k9-20001.html since our last bed was eaten within few weeks by our new small pup and now we need another one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Hi Teri,

If a competitor wanted to get access to your products & descriptions, all they need to use is a site sucker program and import the stuff into their own database, seems silly to try and get access to the datafeeds thru a network.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Heidi - that doesn't work with a Yahoo Store because the image URLs change all the time.

site suckers will retrieve the image at the time its sucking the info so they have a hard copy of it on their computer. They replicate the pages onto their hard drive.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

If someone is a member of ShareASale and is approved to be an affiliate for you, can't they still get the datafeed in a CSV file?

I always thought that any concerns with having access thru FTP would be more on the side of server access.

Tell me if I'm wrong, coz I'm still new at this.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Site Suckers and Adwhores ...now these times are defining moments in our use of the English language.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    >that doesn't work with a Yahoo Store because the image URLs change all the time.

That is why before you issue a datafeed you contract with RTML Templates or Solid Catus to FIX that Yahoo! image issue.

Adam - I did fix it with RTML Templates - they are the same company as YStoreTools.com.

Heidi, why do it the illegal way when you can do it the legal way through a network.

suzie250
    ,can't they still get the datafeed in a CSV file?
    Yes, but if your merchant has more than 1000 products, it is seperated into various pages. Reason why most ask for FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdecor
    Heidi - that doesn't work with a Yahoo Store because the image URLs change all the time.
    Actually Yahoo Stores are even easier. Yahoo automatically publishes an XML feed that contains full details, including current image URLs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael - that is true but the image URLs change every time you publish. So you would have to get a new XML feed after every publish. That's not very convenient.

I never said I use them, I just said that it could be done. You were worried about competitors getting your feed - bottom line, they can still get your images/descriptions etc if they so choose and I was pointing that out.
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    If a competitor wanted to get access to your products & descriptions, all they need to use is a site sucker program and import the stuff into their own database, seems silly to try and get access to the datafeeds thru a network.
    I dont know if you guys are aware of this script to block "Site Suckers" I came across it when looking for something to stop my sites from being downloaded. Seems to work well writes the offending IP to .htaccess and blocks it from accessing your site. It can be found here>>>>>

http:// www. webmasterworld.com/forum13/1823.htm

The urls broken for obvious reasons so cut and paste and delete the spaces I've only just put it up and on trying to access the trap html file I've been blocked from accessing my own site (Use ftp to edit and remove your IP from the ban list).

Kili

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Better make sure that Google, Yahoo, and MSN's bots can't get at that trap file!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Better make sure that Google, Yahoo, and MSN's bots can't get at that trap file!

If you visit the link an explantion of how to avoid the above is there Put simply you create an html file call it anything you want place a disallow for the file lets call it getlost.html Disallow: getlost.html in your robots.txt file add a javascript and meta redirect to trap.cgi in your getlost.html file. Any bot that follows the Robots.txt standards (Which includes all those you mention)will not access getlost.html and will not be blocked any that do ignore the disallow getlost.html or completely ignore robots.txt will be blocked and rightly so all ethical bots ( for want of a better term) will not be blocked.

kili

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast