ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Pleistocene rewilding
    "The continent teemed with mastodons, mammoths, saber-toothed tigers, five species of horses and 13 species of camels."

Article

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I don't believe that a conservation biologist witih any real credentials would recommend reintroducing species that went extinct 10,000+ years ago. Perhaps someone should explain chaos theory to these people.

That's one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a long time.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They want to introduce the descendants of the extinct species...
    But with those animals extinct, conservation biologists write in the journal Nature Thursday, elephants, lions and camels will do.
    I don't think it'd work too well in the unfenced wild, at least not on the magnitude they seem to be suggesting. The bison I can see, but cheetahs and lions?!
    Their resulting commentary in the journal suggests a series of controlled experiments on fenced private land as already has been done with condors and bison. Next might come giant tortoises, then horses, camels and elephants. And, much later, cheetahs and lions.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I have a friend who has a revolutionary theory regarding all of the ignorant situations mankind somehow gets himself into.

His theory is that mankind's chief problems stem from the fact that we've killed off all of our natural predators. It used to be that ignorant humans would wander out and about in the woods, get lost, and be eaten by bears or wolves, thereby removing their genes from the pool. Nowadays, our ignorance is breeding.

Used to be wolves the size of horses that roamed wild, maybe they'd like to reintroduce a pack of them fellahs. Strikes me they'd help 'thin the herd' a bit....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Feed the "adwhores" to the saber-toothed tigers ?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    They'd be the first to wander aimlessly through the woods, I bet.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I was very flip in my first reply. My negative opinion on the reintroduction of species that went extinct 10,000+ years ago still holds however. I definitely don't have a problem with reintroducing species that have disappeared from a particular geographic range IN MODERN TIMES assuming that there is sufficient appropriate habitat and the food chain can support them.

Furthermore, do these people actually propose to extract DNA from fossils and clone these animals? I think we have a few more important priorities than that.

We should be focusing on preserving existing species not resurrecting extinct ones. Preservation of habitat is the most reliable way to ensure that species don't go extinct.

My guess is somebody thought they could get their name in a few newspapers by cooking up this cockamamie proposal.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Rhea,

If you look closer, the article is not talking some "Jurassic Park" type idea, but rather bringing over modern-day wild animals from Africa. Although using DNA extraction to revive extinct species would be a lot more interesting.

Either way, it sounds like a dumb idea to me.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Yeah, I guess I just got so worked up my critical reading skills abandoned me. lol!

The notion that one large predator or herbivore is equivalent to any other large predator or herbivore is ridiculous. The impact of any species on a region (never mind a continent) in which it didn't evolve is completely unpredictable.

I have no patience with people who tinker with nature on a large scale, especially when they profess to do it in the name of improvement. And it's particularly aggravating and embarrassing when those people claim to be scientists. (Kooks come in all varieties.)

I'd like to read the CV of the biogreographer who cooked this scheme up. Sounds more P.T. Barnum than responsible scientist to me.

lol.. I can't believe we are discussing an article from USA Today . Rhea is right no professional wants to be associated with them.

That being said I think that if we introduce anything it should be some type of monkey or ape . North America has a clear lack in this department.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread