Business Week has just signed on at CJ.

Get this: Sarting 1/22/02 they are having a 1 day cookie, not to mention a commission you couldn't find with an electron microscope.

And they turned us down as an affiliate.

The morons are so stupid they turn down free traffic.

How many people will buy their rag
    on the first visit at full pop, when they can go get it at half off on NAFB - somewhere around ZERO.

Now I would have run their banner for FREE, (I know we'd never make a sale) on my investors site just to make the site look more important and they would have gotten free branding.

Heck, their set up says give us all the free branding you can - and they turn it down.

I swear corporations who want to do business online must be getting employees from state mental hospitals or hiring ex-politicians.

Sheesh. I'd recommend they buy Internet Marketing 4 Dummies - but they probably couldn't even read it much understand it.

And of course, CJ is standing there, saying, we're glad you hear, thank you for the $250 per month - don't worry you'll get lots of traffic and never have to pay much to our affilates.

And the morons are not accepting everyone as an affiliate. How stupid can you really be.

They got be a 9 on the Bill Gross Stupid Meter.

ABW Ambassador
    Just goes to show you how much free traffic there is to give away these days. It is not worth what it once was.

quote:
    How stupid can you really be.

Another one: MLB.com.

Part of their sign up procedure is answering a questionnaire.

Question #1: Do you get more than 200,000 uniques per day?

Question #1: Do you convert 5 to 8% of your click-throughs?

They must be spending a h ell of a lot of time hitting the 'Refused' button.

CodeJockey.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    MLB.com wants to welcome only those affiliates getting 200K unique visitors a day. Like NBCsi they are after padding their e-mail list for followup spamming for authentic autograph memorbilia. Their own sites doesn't get near that number of hits even with free TV URL Ads. If they sold tickets to games at half price maybe a few portals would take them on.

ABW Ambassador
    So, what are you gonna do ?
    That's the way it is, and that's the way it goes sometimes. They are obviously not interested in low traffic, and/or high traffic, non -business related sites .

Their true intention may NOT even be to gain subscriptions through CJ, but instead , for branding purposes to a targeted audience, merely to increase news stand sales.
    It's a bargain at just $250 per month , even if they reject thousands of sites that they deem unappropriate .

But what do I know ?

Lisa

Lisa,

If they use CJ for branding, CJ is in violations of it's own affiliate agreement.

Yo merchants - for $250 per month I give you
    all the free traffic your servers can handle.

Everyone in China will visit your website, twice. You're site must be in English.

I keep $50 and give $200 to the Premier's kid every month.

Why dosen't CJ just flat out put a stop to these obvious NO WIN DEALS FOR AFFILATES.

Like I said, they would sell their mother's and sister's to Taliban for $250/month.

ABW Ambassador
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they need to take a shower after reading Fred's posts?

Obstinatedon

ABW Ambassador
    As a friend of mine is want to say, "I must go give my brain a shower."

ABW Ambassador
    ObstinateDon, you are most definitely NOT the only one. Just don't ask me to join you in the shower.

ABW Ambassador
    lol! At this stage of my life, there's little room for two anyway.

Obstinatedon

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Their true intention may NOT even be to gain subscriptions through CJ, but instead , for branding purposes to a targeted audience, merely to increase news stand sales.
    It's a bargain at just $250 per month , even if they reject thousands of sites that they deem unappropriate .~Lisa"

Lisa, the main problem with that is that if they reject thousands of sites, they aren't going to get much branding because nobody's going to see the ad!

And MLB doesn't just want branding--they want sites to be able to CONVERT a whopping 5-8% of clickthroughs!

So BusinessWeek will have 10 affiliates and MLB will have 0 when all of their criteria are applied...

That won't leave much chance for exposure or sales (on or offline) for either of them!

Fred... :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,

This is one of those rare times that I don't exactly agree ...

"Lisa, the main problem with that is that if they reject thousands of sites, they aren't going to get much branding because nobody's going to see the ad!"

I was thinking, that even a hundred or so
    carefully selected , high-traffic , highly targeted, business, or news oriented sites , that need to fill in a few blank spots here and there with some banners, aren't going to pay much mind to that one program, when most of their income is from paid advertising , and ,at the low cost of just $250 a month,
    just my opinion, I could be wrong, but that "could" be what they are banking on .

Lisa

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, that may work for Business Week, but I still think MLB will be outta luck unless they change their requirements.

The reason I think that is that MLB doesn't just want to leech some space off of big sites, they want a 5-8% CR to boot! To that I say Loads O' Luck--really high traffic sites don't usually do that well at actually selling things (that is, getting a CR), which is why they'd accept non-CPA advertising in the first place. Any site that could get that CR has certainly focused their efforts on it, and therefore is also more likely to be very choosy themselves as to which merchants they sign up with.

Whether MLB themselves can cut the muster with the sites that can perform that way (both CR and traffic volume) also remains to be seen. With their outsized requirements right out there, it gives the impression that a site has to be that big--and good at making sales--to get the BASE network rate. Unfortunately for MLB, sites of that caliber will be very used to having a Premium commission rate, and will probably demand one as a matter of course--despite the fact that MLB, as I recall, is paying more than most sports places already. With MLB's aggressive stance coming into the gate, I doubt they'll be too willing to deal.

It'll be interesting to watch their EPC in 3 months and see if they have any...

Sorry, a bit off-topic here, it's got to do with JCPenney and LandsEnd, both LinkShare merchants.

I think JCPenney must be the dumbest merchant around, because it took them half a year to approve my application, then (grudgingly) accepted me by putting me on a ridiculous probation period - I must provide them with at least $10,000 worth of sales in 3 months!

That was half a year since, and they have now removed me for giving them absolutely zero traffic (on purpose, of course [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

And then there's this LandsEnd at the same LinkShare, whom I've been waiting for over a year now for their approval. Might as well call themselves WorldsEnd, if that's how long they take to review applications.

Dumb, dumb, dumber still...

Oh, I feel slightly better now. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    TianTian

ABW Ambassador
    Land's End - You are better off NOT getting approved. The zero cookie is a killer. People order the catalog, then buy later and you get nothing. Catalog retailers are great, but only if the cookie is long enough for the customer to get the catalog.

MLB.com - Another possibility here is that CJ courted them in order use them as a poster child. It looks good to CJ investors and potential advertisers. Plus, maybe Lex and David can get some free game tickets and a hot dog. MLB.com does not get much out of it, but maybe they know someone at CJ, or invested in CJ or something like that.

I have been marketing online thru BBS's and then the Internet since 1990.

God couldn't get a conversion rate of 8% on 200,000 non-targeted general interest visitors.

Heck, if you could get 2% you'd be hard pressed to spend all the money you'd be making.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The performance for generating revenues from promoting major branded merchants through affiliate links is netoriously poor...on purpose!! They don't want to convert only divert traffic and get branding -bookmarks -catalog orders and mostly harvest e-mail addresses for spamming the duped visitors.

These ploys mean their affiliate program managers are all infected with the pure advertising bug. ONE DAY cookies are a dead give away that they don't want to pay affiliates anything for traffic. Even those who do convert some traffic due to low prices on the first visit like OverStock ...now send all affiliate visitors on their auto-merchandising banners to a page thta requires visitors to opt-in to their e-mail specials that pay affiliates squatt.

When that "secret shopper" program/site gets in place these major branded merchants will feel the heat since they are the "cash rich" targets for law suits over not reporting sales. Work on that one Haiko and we'll all get behind it. I certainly do not rely upon CJ and definately the others to police the earning potentials offers like these pose to affiliates. Look for another blood bath this first quarter as affiliates demand performance/paymnets and last years figures will show the networks didn't deliver viable results.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike is soooo right when he says one-day cookies - or worse, no cookies - are a danger sign. It's the first thing I look for when deciding whether to promote a merchant.

Mike,

We are guaranteed to win ANY lawsuit against any ad network and their merchants for BREACH OF CONTRACT AND FRAUD.

And so would anyone else who sued them - once the complaint is filed, there is a thing called discovery.

You simply ask for every affiliate and every sales order and the logs and run thru the lists and see if sales got reported and the affiliate got paid.

Anyone want to bet - you'd find hundreds if not thousands of un-reported and unpaid commissions to affiliates - GUARANTEED.

Here's the deal - you pay us $3 million to settle or we go to court and you can pay punitive damages if you lose.

If you are any major merchant you would be beyond stupid not to settle because if the
    adnetworks are part of the compliant and you ask for damages of MEGA bucks, one merchat with deep pockets could be liable for ALL the damages.

It might take a few years to get the money but...all you need is the data to prove it.

And you can get it simply by filing a lawsuit.

What is amazing to me is no one has done it yet. It's a bit complicated to draft the complaint - but we are almost there.

When the merda hits the spinning blades, we'll see how 'the honest third party and his merchants' like it being on the getting screwed end of things.

Surely the point with CJ is that advertisers and publishers don't have to worry too much about traffic because CJ handles the bit in the middle.

After all, 100 sites with 1000 visitors per days is just as good as one site with 100,000 visitors per day.

Sure, merchants with a good EPC will want to protect that by screening sites. CTR stats don't feature in CJ and not should they. But merchants who are too fussy can just go boil their heads.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread