Revenue drop since new Adwords policy?
    Anybody notice a drop in adsense revenue since Adwords instituted the new policy of re-activating inactive keywords with higher minimum bids? All of a sudden, my revenue is down 40% since the change. Is it just me?

-M

It has been up and down for me. Today was ok, yesterday was bad, the day before that was really good.

- SP

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Up and down for me, too but still about par with what it was before the new policy.

There was another post about this last week and one member mentioned it was most likely to do with our niche markets and keywords. Some are up, some are down.

I think it will even out eventually. Hang in there, Meadowmufn. Your site's keywords could be the big spike next month.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well another new policy is coming to Adword and Overture based upon this Geiko v. Google court case.

Google loses AdWords trade mark case in the US http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08...rademark_case/

A US district court has ruled against Google in a trade mark action over the sale of the terms “Geico” and “Geico Direct” in AdWords, its keyword advertising service. The judge found that there was infringement where the terms were used in the text of sponsored ads.

Car insurance firm GEICO sued both Google and Yahoo! subsidiary Overture in May 2004 over the sale of its registered trade marks as sponsored search terms in the keyword advertising services of both search engines.

These services work by allowing advertisers to sponsor particular search terms so that, for a fee, whenever that term is searched the advertiser's link will appear next to the search results.

Google’s AdWords underwent a policy change in April 2004. Until then Google had respected requests from companies that asked it to prevent their marks from being available for sponsorship. Now Google only takes action when a trade marked term is used in the text of an ad – i.e. the trade marked term can still trigger the ad.

The policy change has seen a flurry of suits against Google – including the action filed by GEICO.

Overture settled in December, but Google continued the fight, bolstered by a summary judgment from Judge Leonie Brinkema of the Eastern District of Virginia that the search engine’s sale of the sponsored search terms did not breach GEICO’s rights in the trade marks.

However, that ruling, issued in December, left open for trial the question of whether the use of the trade marked terms in the text of sponsored ads breached GEICO's rights.

This question has now been answered.

In a ruling issued on Monday, Judge Brinkema ruled that GEICO had “established a likelihood of confusion” and that there had been a breach of the insurance firm’s trade mark rights “solely with regard to those sponsored links that use GEICO's trade marks in their headings or text."

According to GEICO, the court has stayed the trial for 30 days to give the parties an opportunity to settle. If the parties do not settle, the trial will continue on the question of damages and on the issue of who is liable: Google or Google's advertisers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    According to GEICO, the court has stayed the trial for 30 days to give the parties an opportunity to settle. If the parties do not settle, the trial will continue on the question of damages and on the issue of who is liable: Google or Google's advertisers.
    Given that Google has to approve every ad by hand before it sees the light of page, I'd say Google is responsible. They regularly disallow ads that would cause trouble or controversy, which means (IMHO) that they have shouldered that burden.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Anybody notice a drop in adsense revenue since Adwords instituted the new policy of re-activating inactive keywords with higher minimum bids? All of a sudden, my revenue is down 40% since the change. Is it just me?

-M
    I've seen this too. I suspect that it has to do with my adwords money now going to words and phrases that they had long ago turned off. Since they had been turned off so long, all my little changes to my pages was tuned to the previous set of words, not these.

I actually plan of going back through July and seeing what words were on hold/dead then and removing them. I mean, thanks Google for words I originally set up like a year ago, but no thanks.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I don't use them much but I went from over $100 a month do down to $24 a month. I'm planning on dropping them and putting my own reciprocal link banners in their place.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Things are looking better today. I think I might've found the culprit. My leaderboard and 486X60 ads on my main site were only serving 1 ad a piece yesterday. It has probably been like that since the changes a few days ago.

Only showing 1 ad per unit will cut down on the clicks real quick. It looked absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure my visitors were thinking WTF?? They're back to serving multiple ads per ad unit. Don't know why that happened, but hopefully it won't happen again!

-M

Hi,
    Yes I have noticed the same thing ,same amount of views are about the same but the clicks are down and also I notice the money per click is less.

My issue with Adwords has always been it's lack of performance consistancy...some days it's up, some it's down...very hard to read trends

Some hard numbers for AdSense revenue (dropping?)
    Wow. When I looked at my Google AdSense eCPM rates for one my sites for August, I freaked out:

$2.57 August 1-7 eCPM
    $2.14 August 8-14
    $1.72 August 15-21
    $1.49 August 22-28

$1.91 eCPM August 1-30* (as of 8/30 9:30am)

Wow -- a 42% drop in AdSense revenue from the first week to the fourth week of the month, and it sure looks like a steady drop. In other words, this looks like a Real Big Deal.

But I try to be rational, so I pulled up the same numbers for July:

$1.94 July 1-7
    $2.22 July 8-14
    $2.71 July 15-21
    $1.70 July 22-28

$1.92 eCPM July 1-31

And it appears that the difference is insignificant: a drop of just one penny in eCPM, month-to-month.

This site has relatively light but steady (highly focused) traffic; AdSense reports about 57,000 page impressions for each month; the number of impressions during the busiest week was just 17% more than the slowest week).

I just ran my numbers from the same periods as Tim, and I'm seeing different results. The week of 8/22-8/28 was my best week of the month. My August eCPM was about 5% higher than July.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread