Angry Kingston Connection
    Does anyone as an affiliate with the above merchant has any comments on this.

When I click on a banner, I get directed to shop.kingston.com. I did a search for the product I want and then click Add.

I want directed to a shopping cart page listing among shop.kingston.com various other of their resellers, namely Computer4sure, PCupgrades.com, PC Connection and others.

Will affiliates that send customers over to shop.kingston.com get paid for customers that buy from these list?

If yes, how is tracking done in such scenario?

If no, isn't it a leak for affiliates sending free traffic to their resellers?

I asked Kingston but apparently they're 'too busy' to reply. This really piss me off just when I working to get more pages up for them.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    isn't it a leak for affiliates sending free traffic to their resellers?
    I believe it is a leak to send your traffic to their reselllers - their carts don't expect you to land people there - why would they unless you were their affiliate?

I do use Kingston. But I don't understand why you'd land your traffic on a reseller of theirs and not directly on their site. If you're trying to do price comparisons or something, I guess you could look for resellers of theirs that have their own aff program - but I'd imagine their margin would be slimmer than the OEM, and so therefore your commission would be lower there as well...

Donut, I was on their site. I click through my own banner. And I ended up after clicking the Add icon with a list, with shop.kingston.com as the first option of course.

But if client were to buy from any one down the list due to any other reasons, *poof* there goes your commission.

And what really angers me is that I specifically geo-targetted my US traffic to Kingston instead of the other vendors and I get this shit from them.

They did not even have the courtesy to reply.

So you went to your own affiliate site, clicked on a kingston banner you have there, landed at kingston site and there's a list of resellers there (on the kingston site) that you are seeing?

I don't see them - so I'm missing your point - sorry!

I saved the page as a favorite in my browser - I was thinking you meant that by saying "clicking the Add icon with a list" - no change in what I'm seeing.

Am certrain that I am confused on what exactly you are seeing - SORRY!

Give me more details and I'll try to help.

wait, i see where you're looking now... give me a minute....

where it says...

ONLINE CHECKOUT OPTIONS
    To purchase the items you've selected, please choose one of the online purchasing
    options listed below:

ouch!

FIRST, before we assume the worng conclusion, let's go back into CJ and make SURE you are using an updated and correct link for Kingston...

I'll check mine here too... back in a few minutes...

I checked some different memory modules - it appears when Kingston does not have the item in stock, then (and only then) does it list the other merchants at the bottom.

For the 10 items I checked, if they had it in stock, no other merchants were listed. If the item was not in stock, it posted the other merchants. Must be a way for Kingston to monetize traffic for items they don't have in stock. Since you paid for the customer's acquisition, it would only be fair for you to be compensated in some way. But it looks like they're just partnering with others memory merchants to make sure they don't lose someone cuz their own stock is depleted (and you'd lose the sale anyhow).

I'd ask them, if you're a heavy promoter, how you get compensated for the situation - looks like they are getting paid by those partners for your traffic - looks at first glance from the tracking cookies I looked at - that you're not. But it would take more testing than what I've done to know for sure.

Another thing I'd also want to know is... if a customer adds 1 in-stock item to the cart and 1 out-of-stock item... then what?

wait...

but they are also listing themselves below...
    and they are showing "in stock" for many items that list other merchants below (I've checked a bunch more now...)

I think it's just a big leak....

yikes.

I sugest you ask their team again until you get a reply.

Thanks for helping me confirmed what I am seeing.

As I am outside of the US, I was just about to test the link again via open proxies until I saw your reply.

So I guess I will have to push those traffic to the other vendors that will treat us better.

Has anyone tried SimpleTechDirect? I joined last week and the AM sent me an personal email, sounded sincere and helpful.

I haven't bothered with memory since DDR2 was new and no one else was promoting it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    So THAT'S why Kingston's had such lousy results! Blast it That's who I had put up when Crucial made their restrictive PPC policy (forbidding sending PPC traffic to affiliates' own Crucial-centric pages)!

Has anyone tried SimpleTechDirect?
    Looks like I'll be checking that one out--quite soon.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Check out Edge / Edge Tech at CJ as well....

SimpleTechDirect declined me. LOL

What a lousy week/month.

Eithier way, I am getting out of Kingston program asap. They're not replying and the way things are, they will probably need a redesign of their shopping cart pages. All these for afew complaining affiliates? Probably not .. not until it becomes a real issue with the other non-complaining ones as well.

check 4allmemory.com on linkshare

Just a guess, I use neither, but...

4AllMemory (LinkShare) looks a lot like MemoryGiant (indie)... see their street addresses...

www.4allmemory.com (LS)
    www.memorygiant.com (Indie)

If you prefer indies (as I do), you might want to check out memorygiant.com as well.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread