More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Beware of Discount Content Writers
    I just had an unfortunate experience where entire pages of content from my site were copied and pasted in-total onto pages of a similar-themed site. (And of course, the copied site outranked me in the SERPs!)

Well, I emailed the site owner who was listed in the whois directory and shortly before I could fully initiate World War III, the owner emailed me to let me know that the copied pages were removed and he also informed me that this was the result of a discount content writer. By the looks of it, some of the other content of his site that was not from my site appears to be copied as well so this could end up being a big ordeal for the poor fellow.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Ugh! I hope he goes onto all the freelance writer sites he can find and put this person on a wall of shame. Poor guy....I feel for him. Luckily he immediately complied to your email.

Thanks for the eye opener!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

lurk
    So a guy would go around reselling other peoples content to other websites?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    So a guy would go around reselling other peoples content to other websites?

Yes, this just happened to me as well. I really felt sorry for the woman who bought the content - the writer is not returning her emails.

And the writer had also sold her excerpts complied into articles - all taken from several other people's sites too.
    Ebudae

Did you guys verify your content with copyscape.com ?

That a pretty nifty tool, Thanks Marcel. I have a good AMerican copywriter that is very good and inexpensive if anyone is interested. ABout 5 for decriptions 175-200 or 20 a page for 400 words +

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Update: The site owner wrote a blog piece explaining what happened and placed a link to my site in the explanation which was nice. All worked out OK - fortunately I was dealing with an up-and-up type person who just happened to get copied content when he paid for original.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    That a pretty nifty tool, Thanks Marcel. I have a good AMerican copywriter that is very good and inexpensive if anyone is interested. ABout 5 for decriptions 175-200 or 20 a page for 400 words +
    Yes, PM the info please. After a certain number of tulips I was practically putting down, "It's pretty too, so plant it." LOL

When it comes time to freshen up the descriptions I don't want to have to try to think of 30 different things to say again...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I own a site where I offer my (original) free PHP scripts for download and people love them. In the last months I found 3 websites who were actually selling MY scripts without my permissions and of course without my copyright headers. Yes, they were actually selling the scripts I was giving away for free.

After contacting website owners they all removed my scripts and all of them said they bought the scripts from programmers on various freelance sites claiming it's their original work. One site even had the entire script description taken from my site and just replaced my script's name with their name.

You really have to be very careful with these freelancers, many don't give a sh*t about copyright or anything as long as they earn their few bucks.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

I hired a freelancer for some copy, and stressed that it must be 100% original copy. Well, even so, since the guy had to do his researching on the net, the copy came out way too much like a few pages out there. "Heavily inspired", it didn't show on copyscape and other copy checkers. A friend of mine showed me how to use smaller phrases to find pages that "inspired" the writer. It was way too similar content for me to use.

It's really a skill and a blessing to find people to hire. I have yet to find success with it.

Mrs Dynamoo recently received a quite substantial scientific paper from a freelancer.. which had just been copied and pasted from the web - so it's not just product links.

I've had this happen to me MANY times as well.. I eventually invested in Copysentry (it's a Copyscape service) which emails me with matches once a week. That way I can LART the perp before the dupe content drops me from the SERPs. Hmmm.. sounds like poetry. Seriously though, since I started using Copysentry it seems to have helped a lot in this regard.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On second thought, as this thread progresses, I guess I'll keep on writing my own stuff!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Here's a good check if you're looking for plagiarism.. Google for the very beginning and end of a sentence, rather than a complete sentence in itself. It's easier to get a very short unique string that way, which will help match up "heavily inspired" pages.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Here's a good check if you're looking for plagiarism.. Google for the very beginning and end of a sentence, rather than a complete sentence in itself. It's easier to get a very short unique string that way, which will help match up "heavily inspired" pages.
    Also replace some of the larger words with a *. My wife does a lot of marking of student papers and sees a lot of plagerism. Some people will lift pages from websites and then run them through a thesaurus. Checking for direct quotes doesn't work, but using wildcards for some words with a lot of synonyms does.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    On second thought, as this thread progresses, I guess I'll keep on writing my own stuff!
    Unless you find a trustworthy writer you are probably bettor off writing it yourself. And checking for copycats once in a while. Although from what I read in the past you don't like writing c*ntent By the way, I found that listening to what you say is usually a good idea
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

i think if you paying just 2$ for a 300 words page there is a chance you wont get an original one

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread