feeds and CSS... boy I'm getting a headache!
    Hey All-

I'm trying to put some news/data feeds on my site and I'm having some problems. I'm sure it's mostly noob inexperience so I'm checking here for some input!

First, I have a datafeed (<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.boxofficemojo.com/data/js/wknd5.php?h=myclass1&r=myclass2"></script>) and I'm trying to use CSS to format the look of he contents. On the site (boxofficemojo.com) it explains that I need to replace "myclass1" and "myclass2" with my own CSS definitions. Well, I thought I did that, but I can't get the datafeed to display with the style I set up.

I tried a bunch of ways and I can't seem to get it working... I even tried using carp to display the feed... but since I could display it before (without it) I'm not sure exactly why I even need carp at all...

Any thoughts come to mind? Or any good sites that explain how to format RSS/datafees using CSS that can help a novice???

Thanks alot!!!

When I start having trouble with things, I put everything back to where I know it was working.

Once you do that, make one small change at a time and keep checking to make sure it still works. That will pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

It's hard for me to tell you where the problem lies without knowing your skill level and seeing some of your css code.

Show me the section that involves the div and classes.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

You seems to call a php script, not a javascript one. So why are you using a sort of javascript include? I don't know if I understand but, maybe you could use something like:
    <?php
    readfile ("http://www.boxofficemojo.com/data/js/wknd5.php?h=myclass1&r=myclass2");
    ?>

instead of the code you pasted here
    (<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.boxofficemojo.com/data/js/wknd5.php?h=myclass1&r=myclass2"></script>)

of course the page you call this code from should be in php

sendmemybill, you are mistaken in what you are saying.

Hotdog's script is just html code and will work without the page being saved as php.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Internet Cowboy
    HotDog,
    Take a peek at this site:
    http://www.geckotribe.com/rss/

Being mistaken is relative here, as I thought his web page was in php.

Anyway, let's try to resolve your problem.

after the "?" sign, you put variables "h=myclass1&r=myclass2" in the url. I presume they are needed to tell to the script what css class to use. So the class tag are IN the feed script, so you can't control it, I guess?

Try to erase "?h=myclass1&r=myclass2" at the end of the url and create your own css code ans assign the "<div class"yourclass">your code to call the feed here<div>". Does it works?
    Last edited by sendmemybill; August 19th, 2005 at 07:50 PM.

Here's the site where I found out about the feed:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/about/data.htm

It says there that all I have to do is replace "myclass1" and "myclass2" to format the feed using CSS. So I pasted the code into my site, I set up 2 CSS styles to format the feed and replaced "myclass1" and "myclass2" with them. But for some reason it doesn't seem to work.

I took the code for the link and deleted 'h=myclass1&r=myclass2' just to see what would happen, and all it does is display the feed like it does on the site (listed above).

Is this (div class"yourclass">your code to call the feed here<div>") supposed to do the same thing? I'll give it a shot and see what it does!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread