ABW Ambassador
    CJ needs a merchant drop-down list
    I just realized why I always procrastinate to go get links for CJ merchants.

The way it's set up now it's got some good visual and sorting features, but it takes WAY too long to leaf through the pages looking for the merchants to find and add links for a particular site - which could have several categories of products and multiple merchants. Plus, it has to be leafed through time and time again when gathering links for sites.

A drop-down type of list for our active merchants would be super to have, to click on and get to them fast, since we know what categories they fit into by name for our sites, but don't necessarily remember their CJ alphabetic category designation, and could browse a few quicker if we're hunting for some specific things.

Right now it's kind of slow and cumbersome, sometimes I find myself actually dreading it - and quite frankly often head over to LS because of the dropdown list that makes it so easy to get to a merchant's links.

A "Merchant Quick-Find" at CJ would be a real time-saver and very helpful.

A drop-down type of list for our active merchants would be super to have
    Are you looking for the drop-down box that's located at the bottom of the main page on CJ after you log in? The one that says "My Advertisers"?

Accessing an advertiser from this list leads to the detail page. You can see the links from this page, but can only get one link before the page closes and returns you to the list on the home page.

The LS list gives you all creatives for the selected advertiser and you remain on their links until you are finished, regardless of the number of links you view.

Quote Originally Posted by justsue
    Accessing an advertiser from this list leads to the detail page. You can see the links from this page, but can only get one link before the page closes and returns you to the list on the home page.

The LS list gives you all creatives for the selected advertiser and you remain on their links until you are finished, regardless of the number of links you view.
    How about just using the Right Click and open in a new window. This seems to work for me. But that's me. Not U.

Poopie

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by justsue
    no no no. at cj, you can view up to two hundred links in one page including the source code. more often, this is more than the number of available links for a merchant. at LS, you are limited to 5 (am i right?) creatives in one page. if you want text only, LS will show 25 at a time but no source code. you will have to get the source code by clicking each one individually. so in terms of link making, especially mass producing links, CJ wins by a wide margin. knock on wood. i hope the genius at cj doesn't see this. hehehe

as for remaining on the LS link-making pages, it actually sucks because i can't use the back button more often. the previous page usually expires.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    How about just using the Right Click and open in a new window. This seems to work for me. But that's me. Not U.

Poopie
    i don't know what you're seeing but when i go to a merchant detail page either through the main-page-dropdown or through the get-links section (using left-click), it usually opens a new browser window. and i can stay around making links without the new window closing on its own.

Hah, I remember when that drop down list had an option to either go to the merchant details or go right to their links.

It was removed a few "upgrades" ago, and then returned in its current emasculated form in another "upgrade".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I never use that front page dropdown for anything. Easier (IMO) is:

Account Manager Home-->Get Links (the TAB in the top nav)-->By Relationship-->Specific Merchant's Name-->View Links-->[Get HTML] for Link you want

Once on the Relationship page, click the heading that says "Advertiser" to get it to come up alphabetically if you find the default listing order as pointless as I do.

Lots of clicks to get all the way in that way, but once you're there, you can go through the links quite easily, and the windows do what they look like they will. At least, until the next up(?)grade.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

webmarm - Ahhh, yes. I remember it well. Do you also remember when the reports actually showed what items were selling, not just a catalog number or link number?

Leader - I do not use the front page drop-down anymore either. I usually use
    Account Manager Home-->Get Links (the TAB in the top nav)-->Search by advertiser or product.

Unfortunately, since this last up(?)grade began, it appears that buy.com has taken over the product links. I was thankful when a certain other merchant was gone because their thousands of repetative links took over the general product search. (Maybe the other advertisers links just have not been included yet?)

So much for the "good 'ole days". Don't you just love "progress"?

ABW Ambassador
    the current frontpage dropdown is too cumbersome if you have lots of merchants. i don't use it either. i use the searchbox in the get links section.

i think i remember though that there was a search box on the front page before. that was the one i was using.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Dropdown boxes become a PITA when you have more than 50 merchants.

Gimme a normal link I can middle click (to open in a new TAB) any day of the week.

Anyone else here remember the early days of CJ when the merchant detail page had a link on it you could click and get your performance figures for that merchant?

Sigh. I really miss that one.

Leader wrote:
    Account Manager Home-->Get Links (the TAB in the top nav)-->By Relationship-->Specific Merchant's Name-->View Links-->[Get HTML] for Link you want
    I think they need to eliminate the "By Relationship" step from this process, and go directly to the Joined Merchant's Names. The "By Relationship" click should be the default, instead of going to the General Listings. Since you have to be joined to display ads, it's ridiculous that the default is to join more merchants, when you just want to make changes to your current merchants.

The same thing happens in SmartZones. You want to add something, you have to click "By Relationship" first to get there. Again, that should be the default. It's more rare for me to join a new merchant than it is to make changes to current ones.

Andy

The "By Relationship" click should be the default, instead of going to the General Listings. Since you have to be joined to display ads, it's ridiculous that the default is to join more merchants, when you just want to make changes to your current merchants.
    Yup. I've submitted that via AAQ previously. It adds yet one more click to get to my "relationships".

Anyone else here remember the early days of CJ when the merchant detail page had a link on it you could click and get your performance figures for that merchant?
    I must admit that I actually prefer that data on the performance reports interface. I rarely went to my individual merchant pages (now I do in a separate window to get links sometimes while doing whatever else), but I am on the performance report page daily.

Basically, no matter how you slice it, it has gotten to be more clicks to get links over time.

ABW Ambassador
    OK, right now for fall updates I'm having to navigate back and forth between the "by relationships" section to see the drop-down list on the main page. Looking for merchants to add link for any particular site, there could be any number being missed because it's so cumbersome to leaf through all of them in the "by relationships" list.

Category? Nah, a lot of them could be in any of several categories so it still takes leafing through.

By name? No, it doesn't work to get to them by name - if I remembered who all I was signed up with that I *liked* and who had what I'd have a database of my own set up, which I don't.

So what happens, when you forget about some merchants because they're so hard to find and it's so time consuming? Well, then you get those loathsome ACTIVATION emails (which I DETEST, they're the second most obnoxious thing AM's ever thought up) asking why. Why? because I couldn't take an hour to go through the "by relationships" list at CJ to find the site's name as a reminder of their stuff after forgetting the merchant even existed.

Never mind 100 or 200 a page, the CJ site is slow enough as it is 90% of the time. There is no reason why there can't be a drop down list in the upper right by the "by relationships" list, to be able to quickly scan merchant names.

Added:

That's one of the things that makes it so EASY to get merchant's links at Linkshare. When you go to get links for a particular site at LS, there is a DROP DOWN LIST and you just jump to the merchant's link area to either grab the links or look through their site to see if they've got anything you can add.

If Linkshare can do it, why can't CJ do it?

posted by mistake..Please delete this post

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread